Tractors and Wild Flowers

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
On my way to lunch today I drove down the Interstate and a Big New Yellow John Deere Cab tractor was pulling a disc to plant wild flowers on the Interstate median.

I travel most weeks and most time it is Interstate driving. I have seen many new tractors this year, all 5000-6000 series JD ( Cab tractors) on the Interstate medians tilling new ground to plant wild flowers.

They usually for new aera:
1. Pull the tractor there to bushog or mow the area to be planted.
2. Pull it back a week or so later to plow.
3. Pull a week or so later to disc.
4. Pull a week or so later to plant/seed
5. Occasionally pull it back to lay black plastic down.

If it is the same section they mow it, disc, plant...at least 3 trips.

I would like to know how much the state spends in equipment and man hours to plant these wild flowers! Especially since a couple of years ago the state was short on budget money and was not giving the County what it needed. And the fact that my County is building two new High Schools this year and the State can not find enough money to supply the teachers with equipment and tools to teach with. My wife is a teacher and we always have to buy supplies for her room some of which I can turn in on our tax returns.

I like the wild flowers, they really beautify the Interstate...but can't we plant something that grows back every year!!!

Sorry for the rant...but all these big new JD cab tractors make me a little angry...especially since I want one!!!!!

Does anyone else see this in their state?

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #2  
hunterridgefarm said:
I like the wild flowers, they really beautify the Interstate...but can't we plant something that grows back every year!!!

Wild flowers grow back every year in Wisconsin. No need to replant every year.
Bob

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers
Doc_Bob said:
Wild flowers grow back every year in Wisconsin. No need to replant every year.
Bob

Some of them grow back here but they are really sparse. They replant each year, usually a mixture of colors or a different color.

And I left one trip with the tractors out...thats when they come back with a sprayer.

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #4  
I know over off of I-26 near Hendersonville, there are local garden clubs that sponsor the plantings of these wildflowers. I beleive the city also sponsors some of the plantings in certain areas.

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #5  
   / Tractors and Wild Flowers #6  
in michigan they plant deer browse next to the road, duh!

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers
dmccarty said:
Answers to your questions. :D

NCDOT Wildflower Program Funding

NCDOT Wildflower Program Installation

Even if my taxes paid for this it at least its a usefull program. One of the few places where I see my taxes used to do something worthwhile. But it looks like I'm not really paying for the view according to the first link.

Later,
Dan

Thanks Dan now I can only be angry because I can't afford one of those $45K tractors what with building a new house and a 16 year old son needing a car and insurance...

By the way, where are these smile faces at used in post? When I reply or post I don't show access to them. Do I have something turned off on my home page?

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #9  
hunterridgefarm said:
By the way, where are these smile faces at used in post? When I reply or post I don't show access to them. Do I have something turned off on my home page?

I'm going to supress the thoughts on teenagers, cars and insurance... :D

When you reply to post hit the Advanced button in the reply window. It will show a new page that has more room to type, the emoticons, as well as awhole bunch more.

Later,
Dan

/ Tractors and Wild Flowers #10  
Morning hunterridgefarm.
NH also has the program but on smaller scale then yours by the sounds...what gets me,NH DOT road side mowing has been scale back but not the flower program...hmmm.