Electric Motor Repair

/ Electric Motor Repair #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
I have a shopsmith that I bought back in the 80's and the motor has died. For a while I was able to start it by spinning the tool by hand but even that doesn't work now.
Does anyone know anything about repairing motors?

no...i dont want to run the shopsmith off the PTO of my tractor.

/ Electric Motor Repair #2  
If I were in your shoes I would find a good a motor repair shop and have them do it- Call around, check the yellow pages, ask at good old hardware store. good luck

/ Electric Motor Repair #3  
Had a craftsman table saw that also did that. A friend "fixed it" by blowing compressed air into the motor . Saw dust had blocked brush contact. Worth a try.

/ Electric Motor Repair #4  
sounds to me like the start windings may have gone out .What hp is the motor ?

/ Electric Motor Repair
i believe that its 1 1/8 HP.
when i took it out of the shopsmith and then plugged it in it belched some smoke. i think it has a capacitor to get it started.
i'm one of those idiots that likes fixing things myself. maybe i need to spend some time trying to find something about fixing motors on the web.
i'll try the compressed air thing as jack suggested.

/ Electric Motor Repair #6  
Harbor frieght had motors on sale last week . Can't remember the sizes or prices. You can check them on line

/ Electric Motor Repair #7  
randy41 said:
i believe that its 1 1/8 HP.
when i took it out of the shopsmith and then plugged it in it belched some smoke. i think it has a capacitor to get it started.
i'm one of those idiots that likes fixing things myself. maybe i need to spend some time trying to find something about fixing motors on the web.
i'll try the compressed air thing as jack suggested.

It's gone now, once the magic smoke escapes there's no hope. :)

Try a local motor repair shop, they can get it running if anyone can.

/ Electric Motor Repair
PineRidge said:
It's gone now, once the magic smoke escapes there's no hope. :)

Try a local motor repair shop, they can get it running if anyone can.

ah...kinda like it's giving up its soul.

/ Electric Motor Repair #9  
Have to agree, if you let the smoke out it's probably too late............

New motors aren't that expensive, but if it's an unusual size or configuration, the closest electrical shop can tell you what it would take to fix it.

I'v'e found many brushless motors in the past that got magically "fixed" just by cleaning the gunk out so the armature could turn again.

First step, take it off and clean it up with compressed air, then take it to the motor shop for evaluation...........

/ Electric Motor Repair #10  
Randy,
That is the way electric motors do when the capacitor goes out. I have about 60-70 electric motors and have to change a capacitor pretty often. If it has an attached bump (best way to describe it) on the side of the motor that will be where the capacitor is located. Some with have two capacitors. One will be for starting and one will be for running. If it just has one, then it will be for both. You can take the capacitor to an electric motor repair shop and they will have one just like yours but one that works. Or you can take the entire motor and have them rebuild it. The rebuild cost is normally a tenth to half what a new motor will cost.