Page 11 of 312 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

Default Re: Global Warming?

There has not been a new nuclear powerplant built in the USA since 1973 (no new oil refineries since then either....).

The dwindling supply of uranium enrichment plants began after two U.S. facilities, Hanover and Oak Ridge which were built after World War II, shut down due to massive radioactive contamination, leaving nuclear power-plant owners dependent on the Russians for a supply of fissionable material. And the Russians are going to cut the supply of HEU to the US in half by the year 2013, since they need it for their own power plants.

The price of uranium ore has gone up 800% in the last four years and is basically unobtainable until the pump all the water out of the collasped mine in Canada, which is not planning on reopening until 2010...and by then the price of uranium ore could be increased another tenfold.

In the meantime, we get almost all of our fissionable HEU uranium supplies from Russia as a part of the dismantling of their nuclear warheads.

A true "Black Hole" for energy resoruces if there ever was one......
    Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow......GO Diesel GO!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

N80,

I guess we disagree on Al. I don't know what else he could do, as a single individual, that would have a real impact on the problem, other than what he is trying to do, which is bring it to popular attention. I don't know what kind of car he drives, and whether he flies commercial to get around the country. I read his argument as requiring societal measures. The "drop-in-the-bucket" argument about our affect on global warming really does apply to individuals.

BTW, part of my problem with any discussion on TBN that brings up politicians by name, is that it seems to me that it is only OK to cite the folks on my side of the political spectrum for their "errors". In the bad old days before politics was banned here on TBN, both sides took their blows. These days, it seems to be OK to go off on Gore, Bill, Hillary, Kerry, Kennedy, etc, regardless of the topic. The lame "invented the internet" comment gets old after a bit.

None of my publications have any direct bearing on global warming. I don't claim any special knowledge in the area whatever, and my particular degree has almost as much relevance to tractor maintenance as it does to global warming. Since I broke the steering gear in my kubota L210 while out plowing my driveway with my boxblade this Saturday I wish I had studied tractors.

Chuck

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

New report on msn.com says studies have shown that the Alps are the warmest they have been in 1300 years. That means they were that warm 1300 years ago. Goes on to state there were similar warm periods during the 10th and 12th centuries. Must have been a lot of people polluting the air back then also.
    Bill
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abe Lincoln

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

The Russians are also a major player in the oil and gas business. Perhaps we should all learn Russian. I hear they are good with poisons, too. Could be useful for my pest problems.

Chuck

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

Quote Originally Posted by CRJCaptain
    I was trying to express that the whole global warming issue tends to get clouded in emotion and politics, and that if I am going to be persuaded by any argument, I prefer a reference to a peer reviewed journal versus a quote by someone in talk radio or politics.
    "Peer reviewed" in no way provides any assurance that what you read is without politics, bias, agenda or lies. It just means it is peer reviewed.
    Bob
    PS yes, I have "published" in a peer reviewed journal.

Tractor
    Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs

"New report on msn.com says studies have shown that the Alps are the warmest they have been in 1300 years. That means they were that warm 1300 years ago. Goes on to state there were similar warm periods during the 10th and 12th centuries. Must have been a lot of people polluting the air back then also."

Geez, the entire population of the Earth back then wasn't even 10 million people, nothing compared to now.

The eruption of Mt. Pompeii probably cooled things down a bit since then too.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck52
    The Russians are also a major player in the oil and gas business. Perhaps we should all learn Russian. I hear they are good with poisons, too. Could be useful for my pest problems.

Chuck

Here's some info about what I was talking about with the Russians supplying all of our nuclear fuels for the foreseeable future......it's a freebie from the Wall Street Journal today:

Nuclear Power Revival Could Encounter Hurdles - WSJ.com

it seems to me that it is only OK to cite the folks on my side of the political spectrum for their "errors". In the bad old days before politics was banned here on TBN, both sides took their blows. These days, it seems to be OK to go off on Gore, Bill, Hillary, Kerry, Kennedy, etc, regardless of the topic.
    I started this thread, with no intention of it being political in any way, even though Tom accused me of it just for using the words "Global Warming?" in a joking way. But I'm afraid it actually has drifted into politics. I guess different individuals define what is and what is not "political" in different ways. I didn't consider it "political" as long as I didn't name politicians, criticize anyone in particular, try to convince anyone of anything, or recommend any particular course of action by anyone. And since I was apparently the one who erred in the beginning . . . well, I've left it to the other moderators to decide how bad I erred and whether this thread should be closed, deleted, or what.
    Bird

Tractor

Russian Academy of Sciences Predicts Global Cooling:

Russian Scientists Forecast Global Cooling in 6-9 Years - NEWS - MOSNEWS.COM

“The Kyoto initiatives to save the planet from the greenhouse effect should be put off until better times,” he said, referring to an international treaty on climate change targeting greenhouse gas emissions.

“The global temperature maximum has been reached on Earth, and Earth’s global temperature will decline to a climatic minimum even without the Kyoto protocol,” Abdusamatov said.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

Bird,

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Your post was apolitical. Global warming, with or without capitals, should not be viewed as a political subject. Unfortunately, very nearly anything you can think of to discuss can be linked to politics. I think the thread has gone OK. Only two on my list of potential candidates for snide remarks have been hit so far. Not bad for this group.

Chuck

Page 11 of 312 FirstFirst ... 8910111213142161111 ... LastLast