Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #1,121  
We obviously need a breakthrough in efficient storage. Perhaps that is where the R&D bucks could do the most good.

/ Global Warming? #1,122  
Do You know why we stopped using tape drives and went to digital technologies in audio and video?

It's for the same reason PV is a better solution than Wind. Mechanical moving parts require maintenance and parts replacement. So when you say "cheapest" how are you arriving at that?

You constantly pay for the gas and you have to maintain the machinery. Why do you think that's better than a PV module with no moving parts that puts out energy whenever the sun shines?

You're advocating old technology as a solution. Are you typing on an old mechanical typewriter here? Why not? You could write a letter and mail it and I could write a return and mail it back. That's what technology affords us.

An electronic device with no moving parts will easily outlast a mechanical one.

Rob

No amount of pv panels are going to run my 7ton AC at night, that's why. Now you are bumping up against reality.

HS

/ Global Warming? #1,123  
We obviously need a breakthrough in efficient storage. Perhaps that is where the R&D bucks could do the most good.

Heck, that sure would be nice. I assume that even impulse test stations are reversible, and a cheap super capacitor may enable lightning harvesting.

/ Global Warming? #1,124  
A plain main bearing fed filtered oil will last a significant part of forever. :D
larry

Yes and no, some of the old lathes used those but it depends on the lateral and axial stresses, the main problem is pistons going up and down in cast iron blocks, gears grinding along, rubber seals, etc.

Once again, a mechanical device will never out do and electronic one for simplicity and low maintenance.

When I used to run circuit boards we would routinely get zero failures over several thousand runs with little or no end user failures. Look at the massive complexity of the modern TV and the low failure rate, most of those failures are poor designs. It's impossible to run several thousand cars off an assembly line and have that low a failure rate even with CNC and robotics.

The microinverters in my intertie have a ridiculously long MTBF rate.

Wind mills are getting better, I can design a windmill (small scale) with two moving parts using NdFeB magnets but to do that on a large scale takes some work.

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,125  
No amount of pv panels are going to run my 7ton AC at night, that's why. Now you are bumping up against reality.

HS

Sure, geothermal driven by a PV off grid will do it.

Rob

What did people do years ago? Well, they built smaller houses for one. That's what I mean about being spoiled by energy.

Last edited:
   / Global Warming? #1,126  

Technology knows this, I get info everyday on this problem. Certainly supercaps look promising and actually some of the new battery technologies do to.

Of course you could always go with the venerable NiFe Edison batteries that last pretty much forever. Big bucks but they can sit for 50 years and be charged and ready to work, to heavy for vehicles but an off grid app is fine.

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,127  
Heck, that sure would be nice. I assume that even impulse test stations are reversible, and a cheap super capacitor may enable lightning harvesting.

Some of the new energy harvesting circuits are pretty interesting, I'm seeing chips designed just for that. A light switch that creates energy when you flip it, floor covering that generates power when people walk across it.

I'm working with uC's now in the picoamp rage. That's eight zeros and a one for those of you who don't know what pico is.

Better yet I have instruments that can measure this low, 20 years ago an instrument that did that would have cost as much as all my instruments put together and more!

That's why when I here people parroting talk show hosts who know nothing about technology my eyes roll.

Neat stuff!

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,128  
If you had read any of my posts you would have seen that my focus is on addressing world pollution, which, again, is the problem and is affecting our lives and our planet.
You talk WORLD pollution but then exclude China and Indai and other emerging countries. If you had read my responses you would have figured out I expect what people say and do to be consistent. I have not criticized your life style, but have on logic holes.

Fossil fuel is directly responsible for that pollution. Why debate whether CC is occurring when we can address the true core issue, pollution?
Outside of possible CC effects would CO2 be considered a pollutant? I do not argue with heavy metal pollution. Many more of your post deal with CC/CO2 for which you have no data to support, nor are people doing doing much research to find out what really is going on. You may be fine with that but I am not. If you are really worried about world pollution, concrete data would make the job infinitely easier to get the rest of the world on board.

With that said, who wouldn't want to address pollution from oil and coal?
Care to list the promary pollants you are worried about and what you are doing to improve the amount of polluting going on in the world.

On another note, right now I'm in the middle of a complex microprocessor algorithm (floating point math) in assembly language, maybe you might want to lend a hand with it?
Took up assembly as a hobby in 1983 in a TMS9900 CPU. Quite in 1987 or so due to time constraints. Learned Progress 4GL by reading a book. Passed MSCE without going to class. How much of your work have you picked up by reading book and be productive at same?

What's my point? Science is a big field, we all have our areas of expertise.

Rob
My point is that, I have read your posts. I don't see any evidence that you read mine very close because of some many of questions go unanswered. Do you read the CC articles the same way. If you did you should have the answers or if not broaden your reading sources.

/ Global Warming? #1,129  
Better yet I have instruments that can measure this low, 20 years ago an instrument that did that would have cost as much as all my instruments put together and more!

That's why when I here people parroting talk show hosts who know nothing about technology my eyes roll.

Rob

Who is parroting talking point? Have radio host name and date host has brought up the talking point?

/ Global Warming? #1,130  
Here is what I am talking about when I often say the greens shoot themselves in the foot.
In the 1960's in California we all used paper bags at the grocery store.
Then to help the environment we all switched to plastic to save the forests. We all know what happened then, plastic bags kill turtles and other sea life and we have to switch to something else. Then we switched to plastic that breaks down, really made from corn products. Plastic is made from oil, bad....
Then we were told to use reusable bags you bring yourself from home. Now what's happening is people are bringing those bags. Well, guess what the problem is where has that bag been? On the seat of the car under where the dog sits with his crusty ***. Or in the bathroom of the cat women? That dirty bag is dragged around a once clean grocery store and contaminates the place. The cat woman puts a head a lettuce in the bag changes her mind and puts it back and you are eating dog feces.
Again the greens shoot themselves in the foot.

09/05/12: Norovirus Outbreak Traced to Reusable Grocery Bag | Food Safety Net

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.