Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #1,131  
You talk WORLD pollution but then exclude China and Indai and other emerging countries. If you had read my responses you would have figured out I expect what people say and do to be consistent. I have not criticized your life style, but have on logic holes.

I can't change what goes on in China, only in my own environment, that's the best anyone can do.

Outside of possible CC effects would CO2 be considered a pollutant? I do not argue with heavy metal pollution. Many more of your post deal with CC/CO2 for which you have no data to support, nor are people doing doing much research to find out what really is going on. You may be fine with that but I am not. If you are really worried about world pollution, concrete data would make the job infinitely easier to get the rest of the world on board.

What did I refer to? Acid rain, smog, etc. Let me say this one more time, I'm not interested in CC persay, I'm interested in the pollution man is bringing to the table and how, on a personal level, I can address it.

Mercury, lead, chromium, etc. Now you may say that mercury is an element but if a truck load of mercury spilled on your back yard it would be pollution.

What You Need to Know About Mercury in Fish and Shellfish

Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.

All those fish are high on the food chain and the mercury accumulates as we move up the food chain.

Care to list the promary pollants you are worried about and what you are doing to improve the amount of polluting going on in the world.

See above.

I'm net zero, actually I'm below that, I sell clean energy back to the grid. Would you like to talk about the pollution from coal stacks that supply over 50% of this countries energy?

Took up assembly as a hobby in 1983 in a TMS9900 CPU. Quite in 1987 or so due to time constraints. Learned Progress 4GL by reading a book. Passed MSCE without going to class. How much of your work have you picked up by reading book and be productive at same?

I could as easily asked you about epitaxial layers on 'P' type metal oxide silicon field effect transistors with respect to the Miller Effect, capacitance loading and shoot through on SMPS power supplies or CNC and cemented carbide machining of 74PH stainless steels but you missed my point which is that science is a big field and we all have our areas of knowledge.

And yes I've learned several high level programming languages on my own and sold designs based on the knowledge. Do you think everyone who goes to school for a field stops learning while the technology is moving forward?

There's a huge difference between a hobby and fabricating a design for industry.

My point is that, I have read your posts. I don't see any evidence that you read mine very close because of some many of questions go unanswered. Do you read the CC articles the same way. If you did you should have the answers or if not broaden your reading sources.

ONE MORE TIME. I'm not interested in CC. I think we should address pollution on an individual level where we can do the most good. I'm not about to get into a nebulous discussion about the salient point of a subject that I have marginal interest in. We might as well be talking about matter at the rim of black holes for all I care.

Again, as I've said before my OPINION is that GW is a 'red herring' promulgated with the intent of establishing the false conclusion that if the planet isn't getting hotter than we shouldn't worry about all the pollution that's contaminating it.

But maybe I didn't put a lot of thought into your posts because you tried to bait me more than once.... mea culpa

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,132  
Here is what I am talking about when I often say the greens shoot themselves in the foot.
In the 1960's in California we all used paper bags at the grocery store.
Then to help the environment we all switched to plastic to save the forests. We all know what happened then, plastic bags kill turtles and other sea life and we have to switch to something else. Then we switched to plastic that breaks down, really made from corn products. Plastic is made from oil, bad....
Then we were told to use reusable bags you bring yourself from home. Now what's happening is people are bringing those bags. Well, guess what the problem is where has that bag been? On the seat of the car under where the dog sits with his crusty ***. Or in the bathroom of the cat women? That dirty bag is dragged around a once clean grocery store and contaminates the place. The cat woman puts a head a lettuce in the bag changes her mind and puts it back and you are eating dog feces.
Again the greens shoot themselves in the foot.

09/05/12: Norovirus Outbreak Traced to Reusable Grocery Bag | Food Safety Net

HS

Use your head, this is just silly. Do you wash your vegetables before you cook and eat them? Because we do, it's called common sense.

Someone goes into a food market and knocks all the peppers off the shelf onto the floor that everyone walks on. What? You get sick and want to blame someone because I walked into the store after shuffling through dog poop and the pepper you bought rolled through it?

What do you think goes on with those vegetables in the fields? Geeze!

No wonder why no one can install a PV system, we can't even stand erect or think without someone writing down before hand what we say!

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,133  
Who is parroting talking point? Have radio host name and date host has brought up the talking point?

Where do you think the nonsense about CFL's and mercury came from? I have a family member who listens to this tripe and has his kids so afraid to use CFL's that they are stocking up on incandescents!

/ Global Warming? #1,134  
Gee Rob I worked it out all be myself. And the fact that when they came out there were no recycle centers for them. So most went in the trash unless someone worked out a deal to recycle there with the tubes that recycled at their work.

/ Global Warming? #1,135  
Gee Rob I worked it out all be myself. And the fact that when they came out there were no recycle centers for them. So most went in the trash unless someone worked out a deal to recycle there with the tubes that recycled at their work.

Fluorescents have been in use since 1938. That's just about every factory and office in this country.

Do you think the high mercury in our oceans is coming from them or from coal? Wait..... let me think....could it be coal.... I wonder?

Coal-Mercury Fact Sheet

"Summary. Coal fired power plants are currently the largest single source of airborne mercury emissions in the United States. Airborne mercury emissions travel tens to hundreds of miles before depositing, primarily in rainfall, into lakes and streams where it accumulates in fish that may be eaten by people. This adds to uptake via seafood consumption. The EPA recently announced that 1 in 6 women of childbearing age in the US have blood mercury levels that could be harmful to a fetus. Fish mercury levels in Kansas lakes have been increasing."

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,137  
No amount of pv panels are going to run my 7ton AC at night, that's why. Now you are bumping up against reality.

HS

Of course it can. Texas has net metering. Your meter will run backwards during the day and forward at night. If the solar is sized right you energy bill will be about zero.

Last edited:
   / Global Warming? #1,138  
Some of the new energy harvesting circuits are pretty interesting, I'm seeing chips designed just for that. A light switch that creates energy when you flip it, floor covering that generates power when people walk across it.

I'm working with uC's now in the picoamp rage. That's eight zeros and a one for those of you who don't know what pico is.

Better yet I have instruments that can measure this low, 20 years ago an instrument that did that would have cost as much as all my instruments put together and more!

That's why when I here people parroting talk show hosts who know nothing about technology my eyes roll.

Neat stuff!

Rob

What most people don't realize that talk show hosts are entertainers. They can say any imbecile thing about stuff they don't understand because they don't need to do anything about that. They will tell you what they think you want to hear. They want to be popular. Popularity is the money game.

/ Global Warming? #1,139  
What most people don't realize that talk show hosts are entertainers. They can say any imbecile thing about stuff they don't understand because they don't need to do anything about that. They will tell you what they think you want to hear. They want to be popular. Popularity is the money game.

Ladia,
I think it's more pernicious than that. Look at Rush, he supports a corporate philosophy, and corporately driven organizations like Heritage, and they, in turn, support and likely feed him, 'the truth'.
This incandescent light bulb nonsense is just an example. My nephew thinks these bulbs are going to kill his family or some other foolishness. His father gets it from Rush and the "American Right".

Then we have individuals making statements about shopping bags and blaming it on the environmentalists.

This is a historically classic example of how the masses are controlled by the media and it's very dangerous, as I'm sure you must know.

We look at figures in history like Pol Pot and ask how can this happen in a society? This is how it happens. If we study the speeches of despots they always pit one group against another... with them ultimately benefiting in the end.

These talk show hosts are literally dividing this country and the xenophobia they create, the 'me and others not me' can only damage a society that then becomes ripe for plunder.

Polarization of a society is the first step to despotism and that's what is going on here. People no longer think for themselves, they just parrot what they hear and when they hear and repeat polarized blame we have fragmentation of a society, hatred, etc.

That's what we have now in this country and again, it's very dangerous.

Again, George Santayana's, 'those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it'

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,140  

I have to tell you, if you don't listen to talk radio you couldn't possibly know what's going on in American politics or government today. Much of what you think is hitting the news rooms of the main stream media and being reported on is a much as 4 years old for many people who listen. You just don't have the time or resources to connect the dots, and for many or the intellect. While the main stream is a 10 second sound bite talk radio does a in-depth look at the issues. What makes it powerful is it's not the radio shows opinion, the points are made in the words of the people themselves. When you hear someone say ***** wants high gas prices and wish they would reach $10 a gallon you say bogus, while we who listen have heard the speech many times and know the truth. While you say "death panels" what a bunch of crap, we picked the bill apart word by word on the radio and saw that's exactly what was in the health care bill. Now coming to light by the brilliant people in the main stream press. While in 1998 we discussed people making sugar against the law, or taxing soda's because of sugar, now its on the floor in NYC. Glen Beck put on a two year dissertation of history of the founding of the USA and the progress movement in the USA. Each and everything Beck discussed has happened, or is happening, that's just a fact. And it was covered and discussed many years before it happened. It connected the dots for 10's of millions of people maybe 100's of millions as to what is going on in government today. He in those two years eclipsed all the Phd History professors in all the colleges in the USA together. If you didn't watch over those years you couldn't possibly know what's going on in the US today. Sorry, you just missed the boat. You don't know what you don't know. The lesson is don't bash talk radio they are currently talking about what you will think is news in a year, and educating you to what is happening behind the scenes now, things the press will not tell you, while ***** stands on a stage and says he is pursuing an all inclusive energy policy we know he is not, check the news today about coal, we who listen have know this was coming for three years, you however are just hearing about it and then get on TBN and tell people talk radio doesn't know what they are talking about, I submit it's you who don't know what you are talking about. The issue on gay marriage, this is no surprise to talk radio listeners, we knew all along his real position.

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.