Page 122 of 312 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122123124125132172222 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 3118
  1. #1211
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    Location
    WI
    Tractor
    Case

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    “You can't get grants unless you say, 'Oh global warming, yes, yes, carbon dioxide”., Prof. Reid Bryson.

  2. #1212
    Elite Member Rob-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,078
    Location
    Catskills
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spicer View Post
    添ou can't get grants unless you say, 'Oh global warming, yes, yes, carbon dioxide?, Prof. Reid Bryson.
    Who??

    Got a link? I know professors that couldn't find a flat on a unicycle!

    Rob

  3. #1213
    Elite Member mostly_gas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,542
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    in-between tractors

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Oh , let's see, I don't know about CNC used over 30 years ago so I don't know anything about CNC?
    you have yet to show any knowledge of CNC machining. Machines using Fanuc 7M/6M controls were still in use in the 2000's.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    You want to compare the electronics from 30 years ago to the electronics of today?
    No not pertinent to previous discussion. Just going by what you said. Hint what does the F stand for in MTBF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Are you kidding? Let me ask you what you know about electronics?
    Whose chip would you use for a 3 amp CNC stepper control application. Would you use a servo controlled closed loop or a stepper open loop? How about the power supply design for that application? What frequency would you use for the SMPS supply? Whose high side MOSFETS would you use for that and how would you develop the charge pump gate drive for those or would you use 'P' type MOSFETS or HEXFETS instead? How would you address 'shoot through' on the CNC supply?
    When did I say I designed electronics? Please show me why you asked that question doesn't look like you can read yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Hint, electronics TODAY are upgraded more often because it is cost effective to do so. Thirty years ago home computers weren't updated as often as today either.
    Not all controls will "bolt" to all CNC machining centers

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Today you can buy CNC for a fraction of its cost 30 years ago. Today I have a small CNC in my lab to drill PCBs, how about you? Do you have a CNC in your lab? Whose program do you use to run it? Do you even have a lathe in your lab? I have several, would you like to talk about ceramic cutter applications for different materials? Speeds and feeds? CNC welding, plasma cutting applications of CNC?

    Rob
    Tell you what Rob, what would it take to machine 1 9/16 10,000psi gate valve to API specs. Assume 4340 prehardened forging 2" oversize in X,Y and Z dir. What is your tool list, and machining time how many setups across what machines. That is a real world application for CNC. I have programed Makino horizontals and verticals, Japax and Mitsubishi wire EDM, run manual ram EDM, machined carbon, aluminum,cast iron, steel, tool steel up to 61 Rc up to 4 simultaneous axis.
    I don't need machines here still have full access to complete machine shop at work.

  4. #1214
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,406
    Location
    St. Cloud MN
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mostly_gas
    you have yet to show any knowledge of CNC machining. Machines using Fanuc 7M/6M controls were still in use in the 2000's.

    No not pertinent to previous discussion. Just going by what you said. Hint what does the F stand for in MTBF.

    When did I say I designed electronics? Please show me why you asked that question doesn't look like you can read yet.

    Not all controls will "bolt" to all CNC machining centers

    Tell you what Rob, what would it take to machine 1 9/16 10,000psi gate valve to API specs. Assume 4340 prehardened forging 2" oversize in X,Y and Z dir. What is your tool list, and machining time how many setups across what machines. That is a real world application for CNC. I have programed Makino horizontals and verticals, Japax and Mitsubishi wire EDM, run manual ram EDM, machined carbon, aluminum,cast iron, steel, tool steel up to 61 Rc up to 4 simultaneous axis.
    I don't need machines here still have full access to complete machine shop at work.
    Gents, no need to unzip. It doesn't make your argument.

  5. #1215
    Elite Member Rob-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,078
    Location
    Catskills
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    duplicate

  6. #1216
    Elite Member Rob-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,078
    Location
    Catskills
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Quote Originally Posted by mostly_gas View Post
    you have yet to show any knowledge of CNC machining. Machines using Fanuc 7M/6M controls were still in use in the 2000's.

    No not pertinent to previous discussion. Just going by what you said. Hint what does the F stand for in MTBF.

    When did I say I designed electronics? Please show me why you asked that question doesn't look like you can read yet.


    Not all controls will "bolt" to all CNC machining centers


    Tell you what Rob, what would it take to machine 1 9/16 10,000psi gate valve to API specs. Assume 4340 prehardened forging 2" oversize in X,Y and Z dir. What is your tool list, and machining time how many setups across what machines. That is a real world application for CNC. I have programed Makino horizontals and verticals, Japax and Mitsubishi wire EDM, run manual ram EDM, machined carbon, aluminum,cast iron, steel, tool steel up to 61 Rc up to 4 simultaneous axis.
    I don't need machines here still have full access to complete machine shop at work.
    I asked if you knew anything about electronics because you talked about electronics failing on an old CNC.
    I don't have to know about a Fanuc 7M to know about CNC. The statement you objected to was my premise that electronics will have less failure rates than machines with moving parts. you gave me a machine designed 30 or 40 years ago and said it was "too expensive to replace the controls". It was too expensive to change the controls because the electronics is outdated and the company probably doesn't support a parts bank.

    In my original statement I gave the example of a consumer cassette deck and modern MP3 players with no moving parts. Why did I give that example? Because, not like your reference, many people know about consumer electronics.

    Basically what's going to last longer, a piston moving up and down in a cylinder or a transistor amplifying a signal?

    Are you saying that a the piston moving up and down will out last the transistor amplifying? You're giving one example of an old machine and saying, "see you're wrong, machines last longer than electronics." Do we know how many mechanical parts had to be changed? What the mechanical failures were on the machine? Its history?
    So I asked you what you knew about modern electronics. why do you think computer hard drives are going solid state? Because mechanical hard drives wear out and crash.

    So again, what do you think will last longer, a piston moving up and down in a cylinder or a transistor amplifying a signal? (taking into account your lack of knowledge in the field of electronics.)

    Hint: I have electronic clocks from over 40 years ago that still work, they run 24 hours a day. Got any ICE engines that have been running trouble free 24 hours a day for the last 40 or 50 years?

    Windmills need regular maintenance, PV modules just keep putting out power. Get it?

    Rob

  7. #1217
    Elite Member Rob-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,078
    Location
    Catskills
    Tractor
    John Deere 3320

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Renewables are starting to look pretty good!


    "(NaturalNews) Japanese officials are currently engaging in talks with Russian diplomats about where tens of millions of Japanese refugees might relocate in the very-likely event that the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility's Reactor 4 completely collapses. According to a recent report by EUTimes.net, Japanese authorities have indicated that as many as 40 million Japanese people are in "extreme danger" of radiation poisoning, and many eastern cities, including Tokyo, may have to be evacuated in the next few weeks or months to avoid extreme radiation poisoning."


    Learn more: Forty million Japanese in 'extreme danger' of life-threatening radiation poisoning, mass evacuations likely

  8. #1218
    Elite Member mostly_gas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,542
    Location
    Missouri
    Tractor
    in-between tractors

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Here is what you said in post #1124
    Once again, a mechanical device will [bold]never out do[/bold] and electronic one for simplicity and low maintenance.
    I added the bold. See any qualifiers? I needed to know what was going on when a machine was down so I knew when it was a control problem, plc problem spindle issue, spindles and controls were the worst for down time, it took a while to pull a spindle. There was some research to replace controls, but the powers that be would not consider anything without references ie be the guys first install. Machines were all still in factory spec performance wise and not suffering excessive downtime due to mechanical issues.
    DCC CMM's just replace the CPU and reinstall software. Replacing controls on MC100 when Fanuc and Makino won't tell you everything you need to know, not so easy.
    To reinforce my point, you said "never out out do" I have seen mechanical devices "out do".
    Last edited by mostly_gas; 05-17-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: html incorrect

  9. #1219
    Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,880
    Location
    South Central Iowa
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    I work for a company that manufactures control systems for compressors and turbines. Since we keep track about repairs there is pretty good statistic about reliability of our devices. We see that about first 12 years there were very few failures, many of them due to environmental issues such as aggressive gasses, salt, conductive dust etc.
    Our devices are made only from components with extended temperature range (mil specs) nevertheless we see increased occurrence of failures after about 12-15 years of constant power on. Usually electrolytic capacitors are the culprit. Needless to say that the percentage of failed devices is still in fraction percent range even after 15 years of power on.
    The compressor, steam or gas turbine will be overhauled about three or four times times during the life of the control system. The control system doesn't require much, if any, maintenance during this time.
    The control systems I am talking about were made from components (15 years ago) that were not even close to the components we make our systems from today. New components are way more stable. In example new control systems are calibrated in the factory for life of the device.
    So I agree with Rob that electronics, if designed right, can outlast mechanical devices several times over. There might be exceptions like in everything in life.

  10. #1220
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    Location
    WI
    Tractor
    Case

    Default Re: Global Warming?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-D View Post
    Renewables are starting to look pretty good!


    "(NaturalNews) Japanese officials are currently engaging in talks with Russian diplomats about where tens of millions of Japanese refugees might relocate in the very-likely event that the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility's Reactor 4 completely collapses. According to a recent report by EUTimes.net, Japanese authorities have indicated that as many as 40 million Japanese people are in "extreme danger" of radiation poisoning, and many eastern cities, including Tokyo, may have to be evacuated in the next few weeks or months to avoid extreme radiation poisoning."


    Learn more: Forty million Japanese in 'extreme danger' of life-threatening radiation poisoning, mass evacuations likely
    Forty million Japanese in 'extreme danger' of life-threatening radiation poisoning, mass evacuations likely.

    This is a hoax.

Page 122 of 312 FirstFirst ... 2272112119120121122123124125132172222 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.