Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #1,231  
I have brushless DC in the factory. I have seen that site too. I am just attempting to determine if your comments about them being more reliable than conventional have been borne out in reality.

No gears, belts, reversing mechanisms. Time will tell, but brushless DC is what I'd bet on. They've been big in Europe for awhile I'm told.

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,232  
Judging from the content of the posts on the subject of "climate change" there are a lot of people that know and understand more than the people entrusted to manage or fix the problem, but then, it's always that way, anymore. Sort of like arguing whether we're going to sink by the bow or stern while amusing ourselves watching others rearrange deck chairs.

Fatalistic, though it may be, we, as a species, have become the instruments of our planet's demise. It really struck me as ironic to learn that both Mars and Venus used to have atmospheres not all that different than ours. Not that I know that much on the matter, but planet Earth is a living thing and one species is killing it as surely as untreated cancer.

/ Global Warming? #1,234  
Renewables are starting to look pretty good!]

Your optimism is commendable.Have you run the numbers? Are they sustainable?

Yes,I am baiting you :)

/ Global Warming? #1,235  
Bait, eh!

BBC News - Arctic melt releasing ancient methane
Scientists have identified thousands of sites in the Arctic where methane that has been stored for many millennia is bubbling into the atmosphere.

The methane has been trapped by ice, but is able to escape as the ice melts.

Writing in the journal Nature Geoscience, the researchers say this ancient gas could have a significant impact on climate change.

Methane is the second most important greenhouse gas after CO2 and levels are rising after a few years of stability.

There are many sources of the gas around the world, some natural and some man-made, such as landfill waste disposal sites and farm animals.

Tracking methane to these various sources is not easy.

But the researchers on the new Arctic project, led by Katey Walter Anthony from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks (UAF), were able to identify long-stored gas by the ratio of different isotopes of carbon in the methane molecules.

Using aerial and ground-based surveys, the team identified about 150,000 methane seeps in Alaska and Greenland in lakes along the margins of ice cover.

Even if one doesn't buy the climate change and global warming science what is there to be lost by restoring cleaning air and water for life?

/ Global Warming? #1,236  
Most of the hydrocarbon on earth is located in gas hydrate. In fact about 55% of all hydrocarbons is gas hydrate. So far there is not technology available to exploit it. Hydrate is ice like substance created when gas is mixed with water and compressed at certain temperature. If the sea warms up lot of hydrate will turn into a gas escape in the atmosphere. Goole "methane hydrate". There is lot of info.

/ Global Warming? #1,237  
Redneck in training said:
Most of the hydrocarbon on earth is located in gas hydrate. In fact about 55% of all hydrocarbons is gas hydrate. So far there is not technology available to exploit it. Hydrate is ice like substance created when gas is mixed with water and compressed at certain temperature. If the sea warms up lot of hydrate will turn into a gas escape in the atmosphere. Goole "methane hydrate". There is lot of info.

Might make for a good TV movie. All the hydrate is released and ignites in the atmosphere, wiping out everything.

/ Global Warming? #1,238  
Your optimism is commendable.Have you run the numbers? Are they sustainable?

Yes,I am baiting you :)

Today, right now I can buy USA PV modules for $1.20 a watt before gov. pay back. At 30% pay back that = 84 cents a watt.

If I do an intertie I have to add the price of the inverter, or microinverters, wire and incidentals.
If I go with an off grid system ( I have both) I need inverters, batts and incidentals.

What I advise people to do is learn how to put a system in, maybe get a group together and work it out as a unit, this way you save the 4 or 5 bucks a watt an installer will charge you which can easily double or triple your total costs.

The other thing I advise is to start slowly. Lets say year one we buy a few panels and the inverter, wiring, etc. This keeps the initial cost down and we can add to the system as the years go by without the expense of the inverter. That's for off grid.
For intertie I advise using microinverters (Enphase, SolarEdge, etc.) Each panel gets a microinverter, that's it. You tie everything together and run it to a breaker and out to the grid. As you have more money to spend on modules you add them with a microinverter on each one. You can go with as many modules as you want and just keep building.

A good solar dealer can guide you through the install and get you set up with what you need but you have to think, do some reading and learn the basics. Lots of books on the subject and an excellent magazine "Home Power", go buy an issue.

The technology is changing everyday, now you can buy a 4 module complete package from Amazon and plug the output into your 110 outlet reducing your monthly bill. How much? That depends on how smart you are and how well you can conserve. If you want to run incandescents, leave lights on, etc. than don't bother with renewables they won't help you.

People ask me about PV or wind and my first question is how conservative are ? What's your monthly usage, how much power does your freezer use every month?
You have to know those things before you get started, go buy a P3 energy monitor for 25 bucks and find out.

We know who won the ball game who has the most hits, runs, yards, etc. Those things do us no good but the things that do us some good we are totally in the dark about. What's wrong with this picture?

Well I don't know who won the Super Bowl but I'm off the grid selling energy back to the power company, by this time next year I'll be heating my house with renewables and the year after that I'll be charging my electric car with them.

We go out and buy an SUV for 30 or 40 grand that gives us zero return on our money but renewables that can keep our lights on if the grid fails, something that is entirely possible, we want to know the payback on.

Don't want to spend 25 grand on a PV system? Don't. Me I don't want to spend money on fuel oil and electricity. Maybe it costs me more up front but in the end, using some ingenuity, I'm free of the monster that sucks money out of our pockets on a daily basis and in ten or twenty years I'll still be free of that monster.

Rob

/ Global Warming? #1,239  
Bait, eh!

Even if one doesn't buy the climate change and global warming science what is there to be lost by restoring cleaning air and water for life?

Absolutely!

/ Global Warming? #1,240  
For those of you who think wind energy doesn't work (I'm sure there are a lot of energy corporations who love that you think that), I disagree:

ERCOT sets new wind record two consecutive days

"Wind output reached 7,599 MW at 8:41 p.m., Wednesday, March 7, exceeding the 7,403 MW record from the previous day, March 6, by 196 MW. Prior to March 6, the record for wind output in ERCOT was 7,400 MW, recorded on Oct. 7, 2011.

At the time of Wednesday's record, wind was supplying 22 percent of the total system load, 34,318 MW."

--------------------------------------------------------

Locknut, how's that baiting thing working for you?

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.