Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #1,831  
Here's a quick one.
The expedition aboard the scientific drill ship “JOIDES Resolution,” which ended in late October, also revealed that vast areas of the Pacific Ocean were low in oxygen for periods of up to a million years each, said Dr. Timothy Bralower. A marine geologist, Bralower is professor and chair of geological sciences at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

“These ocean-wide anoxic events were some of the most radical environmental changes experienced by Earth in the last several hundred million years,” he said.

Along with Dr. Isabella Premoli-Silva, a micropaleontologist and stratigrapher at the University of Milan, Bralower served as co-chief of the two-month expedition. Drilling took place on Shatsky Rise, an underwater plateau more than 1,000 miles east of Japan. Its purpose was to better document and understand past global warming.

In geologic time, episodes of warming began almost instantaneously -- over a span of about a thousand years, Bralower said.

“Warming bursts may have been triggered by large volcanic eruptions or submarine landslides that released carbon dioxide and methane, both greenhouse gases,” he said. “Besides reducing the ocean’s oxygen-carrying capacity, warming also increased the water’s corrosive characteristics and dissolved shells of surface-dwelling organisms before they could settle to the bottom.”

In some especially striking layers of black, carbon-rich mud, only the remains of algae and bacteria were left, he said.

“The sheer number of cores that reveal the critical warming events found on this expedition -- three from the 125-million-year event and 10 for the 55-million-year Paleocene event -- exceeds the number of cores recovered for these time intervals by all previous ocean drilling expeditions combined,” Bralower said.

“This means that we will be able to reconstruct in far better detail the nature of environmental changes that took place back then than was previously possible,” he said. “We’ll also have a better chance of determining the cause. Already we’ve seen signs in the sediments for other undetected periods of warming, which suggests that they were much more frequent than geologists have thought.”

Among periods of warmth likely caused by methane was one occurring about 55 million years ago, the geologist said. Cores show that 200,000-year-long event killed off 30 percent to 50 percent of deep ocean life while stimulating evolution of new species near the surface.

Twenty-seven scientists from seven countries and 62 crew spent 35 days above Shatsky Rise on the expedition, which is expected to boost understanding of current global warming, he said.

### The Ocean Drilling Program is an international partnership of scientists and research institutions organized to study the evolution and structure of the Earth. ODP is funded principally by the National Science Foundation, with contributions from its international partners

And another;
Polar Bears Survived Previous Global Warming Periods

Polar bears may have come into existence only 150,000 years ago, when brown bears were trapped by an ice age and had to adapt quickly to survive, scientists have found.

The suggestion follows the discovery of the jawbone of an animal that died up to 130,000 years ago, making it the oldest polar bear fossil found. The bone has yielded new insights into the origins of Earth’s largest land predator.

One is the possibility that polar bears owe their existence not only to past climate change, including ice ages, but have also survived at least one long period of global warming.

The bone was discovered at Poolepynten on the Arctic island of Svalbard by Professors Olafur Ingolfsson, of the University of Iceland, and Oystein Wiig, of the University of Oslo.

In a research paper they concluded: “The Poolepynten subfossil mandible, which we argue is from a fully grown male, is probably the oldest polar bear find discovered so far. Its true age is interpreted to be 110,000-130,000 years old.”

It means polar bears have already survived a global warming that affected the northern hemisphere from 130,000 to 115,000 years ago, when the Greenland ice sheet and the Arctic ice cap were smaller than now.

Read more at Timesonline.co.uk: Polar bear is a ‘new’ species

/ Global Warming? #1,832  
And this;
My colleagues and I, all geologists and climate scientists, flew to this remote Arctic island in the summer of 2007 to find definitive evidence of what was then considered the most abrupt global warming episode of all time. Getting to the rocky outcrops that might entomb these clues meant a rugged, two-hour hike from our old bunkhouse in the former coal-mining village of Longyearbyen, so we set out early after a night’s rest. As we trudged over slippery pockets of snow and stunted plants, I imagined a time when palm trees, ferns and alligators probably inhabited this area.

Back then, around 56 million years ago, I would have been drenched with sweat rather than fighting off a chill. Research had indicated that in the course of a few thousand years—a mere instant in geologic time—global temperatures rose five degrees Celsius, marking a planetary fever known to scientists as the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum, or PETM. Climate zones shifted toward the poles, on land and at sea, forcing plants and animals to migrate, adapt or die. Some of the deepest realms of the ocean became acidified and oxygen-starved, killing off many of the organisms living there. It took nearly 200,000 years for the earth’s natural buffers to bring the fever down.

And this; http://www.arctic-warming.com/start-of-the-previous-arctic-warming.php

/ Global Warming? #1,833  
I really think the global warming movement is over, and has been for a time now. Much of the science has been debunked or shown to be manipulated or out right lies. CO2 has been shown not to be a controlling factor in warming or cooling and has decoupled the "man made" part of the argument. In the end most people just don't buy the science or trust the science, knowledge is not a thing controlled at a traditional college anymore. The ability to study the data and become self educated on a subject very quickly has diluted the power of the so called educated to fool the general public. Most of the push for the movement has come from progressives from the yestercites of the NE and large cities of the west coast were progressive and liberals have metastasized. The movement has been a favorite of old communists from the cold war era as their world crumbled in failure. Much of the support comes from atheists who don't believe in much and take up the movement as a religion. The wool has been pulled back from this crises and has reviled nothing more than a progressive movement looking to control people and defeat the American system of economics and life.

HS

/ Global Warming? #1,834  
Hot Summer of 2011 Rewrites Record Books
Published: September 8th, 2011
Hot Summer of 2011 Rewrites Record Books | Climate Central
Not only that, but NOAA announced today that Texas had the warmest summer for any state in the US going back to when instrument records began in 1895. Oklahoma came in second, with both states beating records set during the infamous "Dust Bowl" era in the 1930s.

State of the Climate
Global Analysis

June 2012
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
National Climatic Data Center
Global Highlights

The average combined global land and ocean surface temperature for June 2012 was 0.63ーC (1.13ーF) above the 20th century average of 15.5ーC (59.9ーF). This is the fourth warmest June since records began in 1880.

The Northern Hemisphere land and ocean average surface temperature for June 2012 was the all-time warmest June on record, at 1.30ーC (2.34ーF) above average.

The globally-averaged land surface temperature for June 2012 was also the all-time warmest June on record, at 1.07ーC (1.93ーF) above average.
The average global temperature across land and oceans during June 2012 was 0.63ーC (1.13ーF) above the 20th century average of 15.5ーC (59.9ーF) and ranked as the fourth warmest June since records began in 1880. June 2012 also marks the 36th consecutive June and 328th consecutive month with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last below-average June temperature was June 1976 and the last below-average temperature for any month was February 1985. It was the second warmest June in the Northern Hemisphere, behind only the record warmth of 2010. The Southern Hemisphere had its 12th warmest June on record.
The global land surface temperature for June was 1.07ーC (1.93ーF) above the 20th century average of 13.3ーC (55.9ーF), the warmest June on record. This is the second month in a row that the global land temperature was the warmest on record for that month.
Land...(Global).2012...............................(ranking)1st Warmest......Warmest: 2012 .....+1.07C....+1.93F
...............................................................(ranking)133rd Coolest...Coolest: 1907.........-0.60C....-1.08
201206.gifa.gif
Ctrl + to increase chart size for pc after clicking on chart, Command + on mac
more at : State of the Climate | Global Analysis | June 2012

this is just info- make your own conclusions

RE polar bears- it has been noted that where brown bears and polar bears overlap in their ranges, they interbreed and produce offspring.

Last edited:
   / Global Warming? #1,835  
...and now for something entirely too familiar (and with apologies to Monty Python)

Excuse me, is this the place for an argument? No you malodorous twit this is not for a petty small minded argument, this is for abuse. Argument is just down the hall on the right you misguided mental midget. A few steps down the hall... Is this abuse? No, this is for an argument. No it isn't. Yes it is! No it isn't. Yes it is. I want an argument. What you said isn't really an argument it is just the nay saying of whatever I say. No it isn't. Yes, it is... an argument is a series of logically connected statements intended to prove a point. No it isn't! It is. Isn't!

Excuse me, is this the 5 minute or full half hour session? 5 min. OK, thank you, next. Wait, that was never 5 min just now. Yes it was. No it wasn't. Yes it was. OK, if that was all of my 5 min then why are you still arguing with me? I could be arguing on my own time. I see. Are you? Of course. No you aren't. ... silence... I say, you aren't arguing on your own time. ...silence... Come on, I came here for an argument. Next! Here take my money, I'll pay for the full half hour. Thank you. Next! Wait, I paid for the full half hour and I want to argue. No you didn't. Yes I did. No you didn't!

etc.

etc.

etc.

Pat

/ Global Warming? #1,836  
When you say "all time", you are going back a hundred years in 7 billion year old eco system. Hardly "all time".

/ Global Warming? #1,837  
Please do not go to this news story but if you do, don't read the whole thing with an open mind as the ramifications might make you uncomfortable.

The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the United States and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare that it can't be anything but man-made global warming, says a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist.

Blame blistering heat waves on global warming, study says - U.S. News

Do not read this next info under any circumstances. This is America and if your mind is made up you have a right to continue to hold to your opinion regardless the evidence.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...ange-skeptic-humans-cause-global-warming?lite

Pat

Last edited:
   / Global Warming? #1,838  
Excuse me, is this the place for an argument? No you malodorous twit this is not for a petty small minded argument, this is for abuse. Argument is just down the hall on the right you misguided mental midget. A few steps down the hall... Is this abuse? No, this is for an argument. No it isn't. Yes it is! No it isn't. Yes it is. I want an argument. What you said isn't really an argument it is just the nay saying of whatever I say. No it isn't. Yes, it is... an argument is a series of logically connected statements intended to prove a point. No it isn't! It is. Isn't!

Hmmp! Taking my Tonka Truck and goIng home.

/ Global Warming? #1,839  
What this says to me is the models are wrong and have been exposed as fakes and lies. The wool has been pulled back and exposed GW as a hoax so now we must abandon the science models that have not convinced people and begin to scare people with weather stores. Scare people with extreme weather reports will be the NEW science all progressives get onboard and start scarring people. These are the last gasps of the GW hoax.
Oh, on another related subject just was reading a piece about the atlantic getting wider and deeper every year. Science is showing the oceans in particular the atlantic are deepening. That means it takes almost a cm of water added to the oceans to just keep the ocean levels the same. This is the reason the ocean levels are dropping not increasing a predicted in GW. Uncharted islands are popping up all over do the ocean level dropping. Again ocean levels are dropping and we know why, and GW threat of ocean levels rising are again wrong science and scare tactics.

HS
Please do not go to this news story but if you do, don't read the whole thing with an open mind as the ramifications might make you uncomfortable.

The relentless, weather-gone-crazy type of heat that has blistered the United States and other parts of the world in recent years is so rare that it can't be anything but man-made global warming, says a new statistical analysis from a top government scientist.

Pat

Last edited:
   / Global Warming? #1,840  
patrick_g said:

Do not read this next info under any circumstances. This is America and if your mind is made up you have a right to continue to hold to your opinion regardless the evidence.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07/29/13020337-ex-climate-change-skeptic-humans-cause-global-warming?lite

Pat

Mr Muller doesn't support your premise, see I already read it the other day. He says global warming effects have been, to quote him, "tiny" and the current hot summer and drought are totally unrelated. You really should read your own info before posting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.