Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #11  
Hey take it easy on ol' jimmy, he is an inspiration all of us bald guys.

what gets me is needing to see the radar for approaching weather and they are running storm stories and now they have ABRAMS AND BETTIS to give you the political spin on the weather.

Global warming is BS IMO

/ Global Warming? #12  
I miss good ol' Harold Taft, rest his soul. The old timers from this area remember him as "the world's greatest weatherman" on channel 5. He used to say the only time to predict snow in Texas was when you looked out and saw it falling. Now if there is any chance at all snow may fall, the weather people all get excited and start predicting it several days in advance to try to beat everyone else. If they get it right, they hype how they were first. If they miss, you never hear about it. Rarely are they correct.

/ Global Warming?
Yep, Bill, Harold Taft was a favorite with lots of us. And NBC5 (Channel 5) doesn't change meteorologists very often. David Finfrock was training under Harold Taft and has been there ever since.

/ Global Warming? #14  
BB_TX said:
... the weather people all get excited and start predicting it several days in advance to try to beat everyone else. If they get it right, they hype how they were first. If they miss, you never hear about it. Rarely are they correct.

Bill,

They do the same thing with rain. We have three local stations and we decide which one to watch based on how annoying the weather guy is on the other two. hahaha

We wish there was some sort of acountability to thier predictions. Maybe a rating. Accurate 5% of the time type of thing that would flash under them when they are predicting the weather.

But what really gets me is when there's a storm going through that's five counties away and they interupt our show to tell us it's raining in Lufkin or some other place 100 miles away!! It doesn't matter how hard it's raining, they will intereupt the programing because it might thunder during the storm. For the life of me I don't understand what danger a thunder storm has, or what I'm supposed to do when it's happening.

One time they decided to cut out the volume of the show to run thier little banner across the bottom of the screen. That one really got me and I called the station and spoke to a producer. I told him that I was perfectly capable of reading there stupid little banner without them turning off the volume. He apologized and it never happened again. I don't now how many people complained about it, but that was just too much. hahahaha

Eddie

/ Global Warming? #15  
rswyan said:
My favorite is Jim Cantorri (sp ?) on the Weather Channel ........ this guy works himself up into a frenzy over just about anything ..... and does his best to ensure that you get worked up too ....... I half expect to see him actually start drooling or foaming at the mouth on camera one of these days.

......... makes ya wonder about what exactly they are teaching in journalism school these days.

The local station here, it's Ken Schultz and when a storm is coming in, he gets so worked up, well they can only show him from the waist up if you know what I mean.:D

/ Global Warming? #16  
When I was in the Air Force I was hanging out in flight ops at a little field in Savannah, Georgia. There were radar monitors showing storms. There were print outs and advisories. But to show you how much faith the pilots had in the weather reports there was a square made of tape stuck on the large window looking out over the flight line and below it was written: Accu-View Weather Window. In other words, if you want to know what the weather is doing....look outside.

I also remember back in ROTC at the Citadel one of our instructors was an Air Force meteorologist. He was a really great guy. One day in December there was a lot of hoopla and hype going around because there was a predicition for snow. We were all talking about it and looking out the window when he went into a lengthy explanation, complete with drawings on the chalk board about why it does not snow in Charleston, SC in December. The very moment he finished his expose' and tossed the chalk down it began snowing so hard you couldn't see out the window. Covered everything for about 2 hours and then blew away like it was never there.

/ Global Warming? #17  
Bird I can't beleive you stepped in this one :eek: While the weather is always a safe topic of conversation as soon as you use the words GLOBAL WARMING all posibility of civil discussion goes out the window. Do you want to change the title of were you trying to poke the hornets nest? :D :D :D

Chris

/ Global Warming?
Oops, sorry about that, Chris.:D And the weathermen aren't the only ones to miss their guess. We took my sister-in-law to the airport when the airline's online schedule showed her flight to be on time; 3:30 p.m. It was snowing, so we went early, got her checked in, then left her at about 2 p.m. and came on home to beat the evening traffic. Now it was snowing and wet all the way to the airport, but traffic was moving along very well all the way. Then when we started home, it had quit snowing, the roads were pretty dry, and we had to take "alternate routes" twice because wrecks on bridges had the roads shut down; state highway once and Interstate highway once.

Shortly after we got home, the sister-in-law called and, in spite of the Internet still showing her flight to be on time, she said they had told her it would be at least 4:05 p.m. before the plane even arrived in Dallas. And now they show that flight to be scheduled for one hour late.:)

/ Global Warming? #19  
HTML:
us bald guys

Having prefect heads, no covering disguise needed we should be an inspiration to all!!

/ Global Warming? #20  
Egon said:
HTML:
us bald guys

Having prefect heads, no covering disguise needed we should be an inspiration to all!!

When you have a mind like a steel trap, you quickly find hair doesn't grow on steel. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.