Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #2,161  
Rainbody said:
I think there's a pretty easy to see connection between far left and GW. The left is great at brow beating people into accepting their adjusted studies and omitting facts that don't fit their agenda.
You can claim all the science you want. Ive read the studies and connected the dots. Sorry I won't accept an article as "truth".
Gotta love Al Gore. Hes so creditable that he can only get air time on the "channel" he owns.
Anyone else read the study about who green programs effect? I'll give you a clue. Not the elitist types passing the rules.

When you claim to have "read the studies" what are you referring to? Nobody has read all the tens of thousands of relevant studies, not even the much quoted or referenced climate scientists. Are you therefore referring to some journalistic piece and if so was it one that presents a balanced view or just a diatribe? How do you personally decide what is credible and what is "*******"? Recognizing that neither Gore nor any of the counterpart right wing propagandists is a scientist, do you form your opinions based on science or politics?

/ Global Warming? #2,162  
IslandTractor said:
When you claim to have "read the studies" what are you referring to? Nobody has read all the tens of thousands of relevant studies, not even the much quoted or referenced climate scientists. Are you therefore referring to some journalistic piece and if so was it one that presents a balanced view or just a diatribe? How do you personally decide what is credible and what is "*******"? Recognizing that neither Gore nor any of the counterpart right wing propagandists is a scientist, do you form your opinions based on science or politics?

I know it's hard to believe. Someone actually reading the studies connected to the articles posted on here. Imagine that, a libertarian that does his homework.
As to what's creditable and not, its fairly easy if your willing to spend the time. But I'm not going to do your homework for you. You'll never learn to really make up your own mind if I feed you information. I'll ask you to research say Hansens latest "study" on surface temps. Look over the data. Does any of it look odd? Too good to be true?

And science vs politics, Are you saying there's no connections? False science creating bad law? Never happens. Just a crazy myth.
Pretty sure there where plenty of bullshit studies in 20s 30s 40s in reference to someones race being inferior. Both here (black pilots) and europe (jews had special powers). The study sets the stage for someone to create that political agendas.
A great example of the politics of the time (racial division) getting backup by federal studies to keep/impose bad law. And people went along with it because it's "science" it's not political.
I won't get into what happen in Europe due to some believing science cant be political.

Glad we agree on Gore.

/ Global Warming? #2,163  
   / Global Warming? #2,164  
Another atypical day of warmth here in central Maine. Right now and sun is trying to break out. Our impatiens flowers are blooming as the leaves are turning. We have not had a killing frost. 30 years ago it occurred in the last week in August. I don't turn to science to tell me it is getting warmer. I observe it all around me. The anti warming people for the longest time said it wasn't getting warmer (some still say that). I look to science to tell me why. The anti-warming people say it is natural. I think they are fools in their statements -so I don't give them credit on this issue.

There are many things we don't know, cannot know given our technology. Think of the use of variables in simple algebra. They stand for "unknowns". Through manipulation they allow us to produce a "known". It goes on from there. That is what science is all about- the perceived known and unknown. Thought is used to arrive at useful information.
There are some dead end lines- generally the result of "faith" in the tried and true, irregardless of new evidence to the contrary, and those resulting from ignorance and its cousin- superstition/magical thinking. (The Rapture recently came and went; Aztec 2013 is promising something good!)

Telling me that Noah was real, God was the cause, and I should just accept and trust to faith- is childish-- age 3,4?. I can't take that seriously.

There are many things we don't know- so what. We live in a real world and use science to arrive at more information. When we discover errors we fix them. Trusted and true is only so good as long as it works. ....I don't see many armies depending upon the horse cavalry today, maybe adopting the tactic- but it is not the same.

The nay-sayers would have us ignore the changes in the world temperatures and the subsequent effects (including disasters). There is no "nice way" to respond to this other than saying- "that's dumb". We are back to congress and our two party system of "just say no" (to quote Nancy).

I find the lack of accomplishment depressing. Not good.

/ Global Warming? #2,165  
Another atypical day of warmth here in central Maine. Right now and sun is trying to break out. Our impatiens flowers are blooming as the leaves are turning. We have not had a killing frost. 30 years ago it occurred in the last week in August. .

When I saw you posted from the "new posts" page, I thought "I wonder what the today's weather deviation is for Maine."

To return the favor, the weather here in NC is fantastic. It is clear, brisk, and a perfect day for enjoying the outdoors. I have not been able to get out as much as I like, so I am packing up my kit, and heading outside for a day of shooting and tractor maintenance/work/play. Yippe!

/ Global Warming? #2,166  
Another atypical day of warmth here in central Maine. Right now and sun is trying to break out. Our impatiens flowers are blooming as the leaves are turning. We have not had a killing frost. 30 years ago it occurred in the last week in August. I don't turn to science to tell me it is getting warmer. I observe it all around me. The anti warming people for the longest time said it wasn't getting warmer (some still say that). I look to science to tell me why. The anti-warming people say it is natural. I think they are fools in their statements -so I don't give them credit on this issue.

There are many things we don't know, cannot know given our technology. Think of the use of variables in simple algebra. They stand for "unknowns". Through manipulation they allow us to produce a "known". It goes on from there. That is what science is all about- the perceived known and unknown. Thought is used to arrive at useful information.
There are some dead end lines- generally the result of "faith" in the tried and true, irregardless of new evidence to the contrary, and those resulting from ignorance and its cousin- superstition/magical thinking. (The Rapture recently came and went; Aztec 2013 is promising something good!)

Telling me that Noah was real, God was the cause, and I should just accept and trust to faith- is childish-- age 3,4?. I can't take that seriously.

There are many things we don't know- so what. We live in a real world and use science to arrive at more information. When we discover errors we fix them. Trusted and true is only so good as long as it works. ....I don't see many armies depending upon the horse cavalry today, maybe adopting the tactic- but it is not the same.

The nay-sayers would have us ignore the changes in the world temperatures and the subsequent effects (including disasters). There is no "nice way" to respond to this other than saying- "that's dumb". We are back to congress and our two party system of "just say no" (to quote Nancy).

I find the lack of accomplishment depressing. Not good.

When the definition of accomplishment is "It's my way or nothing..." THAT'S depressing.

Such an attitude looks not for discussion, but rather submission and compliance.

As more pay attention, perhaps it will become more clear... perhaps their goal is just that. Submission and compliance.

/ Global Warming? #2,167  
madmax12 said:
When the definition of accomplishment is "It's my way or nothing..." THAT'S depressing.

Such an attitude looks not for discussion, but rather submission and compliance.

As more pay attention, perhaps it will become more clear... perhaps their goal is just that. Submission and compliance.

Madmax you are very polite person and do listen to other's points of view. However I wonder if you see the hypocrisy in claiming others want you to "submit and comply" when that is precisely what religious faith requires of believers. You (fundamentalist Christian or Muslim or Jew) require an unquestioning acceptance of religious dogma as the starting point for any discussion. If I don't accept the Bible as literally true then you and I have no way to discuss whether Genesis is a Platonic myth, necessary for a religious starting point in ancient times, or a true story that can be verified and corroborated with the tools of modern science. Those who question the basic beliefs of religion in matters describing the physical world and history of earth are not the ones who have closed minds.

/ Global Warming? #2,168  
When I saw you posted from the "new posts" page, I thought "I wonder what the today's weather deviation is for Maine."

To return the favor, the weather here in NC is fantastic. It is clear, brisk, and a perfect day for enjoying the outdoors. I have not been able to get out as much as I like, so I am packing up my kit, and heading outside for a day of shooting and tractor maintenance/work/play. Yippe!

What is the temp in NC? typical, atypical - I am curious.
When we first moved here- before I had the chimney up- October was a cold month. It was in the 30's and colder most nights in the house. We used to really bundle the kids up putting them to bed. Sometimes we'd find ice where it had spilled on the kitchen floor from the night before.
The window is wide open every night beside the bed. I hear the loons calling still from the lake a mile away. Frogs are out and about still, some bug I can't place is chirping through the night. I enjoy it- but the loss of summer days due to uncomfortable heat days makes it an easy thing to give up -if we could go back to what it was. I can dress for the cold, it is hard to dress for the heat.

/ Global Warming? #2,169  
...with the tools of modern science...

Don't you know that "science" is the belief in the ignorance of experts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.