Page 221 of 312 FirstFirst ... 121171211218219220221222223224231271 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 3118
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Default Re: Global Warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    Religion has terrible record in seeking truth. Not only the church was not seeking truth it used to burn people for saying the obvious truth such as the Earth is round and rotates. If church has the power it had in "dark ages" (it was called dark ages exactly for that for that reason) we would still be made believe that earth is flat and is a center of universe.
    This is hardly authoritative, but it is pretty good for the venue.

What happen to cause Europes Dark ages? - Yahoo! Answers

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbody View Post
    If you don't think that a scientist or whomever has a vested interest in getting a paycheck, your not ground in reality.
    Publish or DIE! No pressure.

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by SPYDERLK View Post
    There is always the ultimate enablement to fall back on: The all powerful god. By definition ... and faith --The answer to any problem.
    larry
    Just because they had you outsmarted before you were even born is no reason you should continue to grouse about it.

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by EE_Bota

Publish or DIE! No pressure.
    I believe the expression is "publish or perish" and it is true, at least in a research university.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandTractor View Post
    I believe the expression is "publish or perish" and it is true, at least in a research university.

"...Whoever has the power in society determines what can be studied, determines what can be observed, determines what can be thought. Scientists fall in line with the dominant power structure. They have to, because the power structure pays the bills. You don't play ball with the power structure, you don't get money for research, you don't get an appointment, you don't get published, in short you don't count anymore. You're out. You might as well be dead."

Michael Crichton
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

I most frequently hear "publish or die" in the vicinity of Research Triangle Park, which would be influenced mostly by NCSU, Duke, UNC-CH. I have heard "publish or perish," just less frequently.

But to die or to perish...most folks feel pressure to avoid those two outcomes.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by EE_Bota View Post
    Just because they had you outsmarted before you were even born is no reason you should continue to grouse about it.
    That "smarting" is a manipulation to which I am not subject. My conclusion is that you have misnamed it.
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Super Star Member IslandTractor's Avatar
    Tractor
    2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH

Quote Originally Posted by /pine

"...Whoever has the power in society determines what can be studied, determines what can be observed, determines what can be thought. Scientists fall in line with the dominant power structure. They have to, because the power structure pays the bills. You don't play ball with the power structure, you don't get money for research, you don't get an appointment, you don't get published, in short you don't count anymore. You're out. You might as well be dead."

Michael Crichton
    And who is this authority you quote? A novelist. He finished medical school and then switched careers. Never worked in a research lab. Never did anything but write science fiction novels as I recall. Good writer though.

The system he describes does exist in Germany and Russia and probably in some second tier labs but not in the big research universities in the USA. The system is too big and complex for any one or any few individuals to suppress other legitimate research. Rivalry yes, overt suppression not so much. Too many small fish with too much to gain by publishing good science that contradicts the Big Kahunas.

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

It's also true to some extent in an industrial research facility, although the emphasis is more along the line of patentable processes as opposed to pure scientific research.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

And who is this authority you quote? A novelist. He finished medical school and then switched careers. Never worked in a research lab. Never did anything but write science fiction novels as I recall. Good writer though.

The system he describes does exist in Germany and Russia and probably in some second tier labs but not in the big research universities in the USA. The system is too big and complex for any one or any few individuals to suppress other legitimate research. Rivalry yes, overt suppression not so much. Too many small fish with too much to gain by publishing good science that contradicts the Big Kahunas.
    You're proving your ignorance yet again and revealing your main education and information source (wikipedia)

drivel on oh toothless one...!
    Slash Pine
    blunt and succinct but sincere...in the immortal words of Popeye..."I yam what I yam"

Page 221 of 312 FirstFirst ... 121171211218219220221222223224231271 ... LastLast