Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #2,201  
Religion has terrible record in seeking truth. Not only the church was not seeking truth it used to burn people for saying the obvious truth such as the Earth is round and rotates. If church has the power it had in "dark ages" (it was called dark ages exactly for that for that reason) we would still be made believe that earth is flat and is a center of universe.

This is hardly authoritative, but it is pretty good for the venue.

What happen to cause Europes Dark ages? - Yahoo! Answers

/ Global Warming? #2,203  
There is always the ultimate enablement to fall back on: The all powerful god. By definition ... and faith --The answer to any problem.
larry

Just because they had you outsmarted before you were even born is no reason you should continue to grouse about it.

/ Global Warming? #2,204  
EE_Bota said:
Publish or DIE! No pressure.

I believe the expression is "publish or perish" and it is true, at least in a research university.

/ Global Warming? #2,205  
I believe the expression is "publish or perish" and it is true, at least in a research university.

"...Whoever has the power in society determines what can be studied, determines what can be observed, determines what can be thought. Scientists fall in line with the dominant power structure. They have to, because the power structure pays the bills. You don't play ball with the power structure, you don't get money for research, you don't get an appointment, you don't get published, in short you don't count anymore. You're out. You might as well be dead."

Michael Crichton

/ Global Warming? #2,206  

I most frequently hear "publish or die" in the vicinity of Research Triangle Park, which would be influenced mostly by NCSU, Duke, UNC-CH. I have heard "publish or perish," just less frequently.

But to die or to perish...most folks feel pressure to avoid those two outcomes.

/ Global Warming? #2,207  
Just because they had you outsmarted before you were even born is no reason you should continue to grouse about it.
That "smarting" is a manipulation to which I am not subject. My conclusion is that you have misnamed it.

/ Global Warming? #2,208  
/pine said:
"...Whoever has the power in society determines what can be studied, determines what can be observed, determines what can be thought. Scientists fall in line with the dominant power structure. They have to, because the power structure pays the bills. You don't play ball with the power structure, you don't get money for research, you don't get an appointment, you don't get published, in short you don't count anymore. You're out. You might as well be dead."

Michael Crichton

And who is this authority you quote? A novelist. He finished medical school and then switched careers. Never worked in a research lab. Never did anything but write science fiction novels as I recall. Good writer though.

The system he describes does exist in Germany and Russia and probably in some second tier labs but not in the big research universities in the USA. The system is too big and complex for any one or any few individuals to suppress other legitimate research. Rivalry yes, overt suppression not so much. Too many small fish with too much to gain by publishing good science that contradicts the Big Kahunas.

/ Global Warming? #2,209  

It's also true to some extent in an industrial research facility, although the emphasis is more along the line of patentable processes as opposed to pure scientific research.

/ Global Warming? #2,210  
And who is this authority you quote? A novelist. He finished medical school and then switched careers. Never worked in a research lab. Never did anything but write science fiction novels as I recall. Good writer though.

The system he describes does exist in Germany and Russia and probably in some second tier labs but not in the big research universities in the USA. The system is too big and complex for any one or any few individuals to suppress other legitimate research. Rivalry yes, overt suppression not so much. Too many small fish with too much to gain by publishing good science that contradicts the Big Kahunas.

You're proving your ignorance yet again and revealing your main education and information source (wikipedia) :laughing:

drivel on oh toothless one...!

Status
Not open for further replies.