Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #2,951  
Climate Insurance

Climate change can have adverse impacts on climate insurance affordability and availability, potentially slowing the growth of the industry and shifting more of the burden to governments and individuals. Most forms of insurance are vulnerable, including property, liability, health, and life. Often small scale, gradual, diffuse, and indirect events are often overlooked like the following list:

Blackouts; Crop damages; Drought; Equipment breakdown; Eroded air quality; Eroded water quality; Hail; Ice Storms; Infectious diseases; Lightning; Mudslides; Sea-level rise/Coastal; Sinkholes; Subsidence; Thunderstorms; Tornados; Vehicle damages; Wildfire; and Winterstorms.
Between the 1960s and 1990s the number of natural catastrophes doubled and insured losses increased nearly seven-fold…
WeatherClimateDisasters.jpg

Climate Change: Insurers Confirm Growing Risks, Costs

Stakeholders from the insurance industry met with members of the U.S. Senate to acknowledge the role global warming plays in extreme weather-related losses, and to issue a call for action.
The politics of global warming have typically involved much debate as to the role climate change plays in growing weather-related risk. Yesterday, however, at a Capital Hill a press conference on the cost of climate change, debate was not on the agenda. Pointing to a year of history-making, $1 billion-plus natural disasters, representatives of Tier 1 insurance companies took a definitive stance with members of the U.S. Senate to confirm that costs to taxpayers and businesses from extreme weather will continue to soar because of climate change.

Representatives from The Reinsurance Association of America, Swiss Re and Willis Re and Ceres, a nonprofit organization that leads a national coalition of investors, environmental organizations and other public interest groups working with companies to address a variety of sustainability challenges, joined Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) yesterday to discuss the growing financial impact of global warming.

“From our industry’s perspective, the footprints of climate change are around us and the trend of increasing damage to property and threat to lives is clear,” said Franklin Nutter, president of the Reinsurance Association of America. “We need a national policy related to climate and weather.”

Property and casualty insurers in the United States experienced an estimated $44 billion in losses last year when hurricanes, droughts, tornadoes and other natural disasters were more severe, longer, more frequent and less predictable than in the past.

According to Swiss Re, the average weather-related insurance industry loss in the U.S. was about $3 billion a year in the 1980s compared to approximately $20 billion annually by the end of the past decade.

“As a member of the global insurance industry, we have witnessed the increased impact of weather-related events on our industry and around the world,” said Mark Way, head of Swiss Re's sustainability and climate change activities in the Americas. “A warming climate will only add to this trend of increasing losses, which is why action is needed now.”

remember: "it's the economy stupid..." -- now it is this....."it's global warming stupid..."

/ Global Warming? #2,952  
Oh you mean like the dust bowl way way back in the 30's? hmm Makes you stop and think? Could the GW really be full of ****

My foot hurts lately, probably Global warming I'll bet.

succinct points the blathering idiots won't be able to cope with...

/ Global Warming? #2,953  
I bet all you blathering, gullible, misguided AGW henny-penny's wish the extreme "dust bowl" weather of the 1930's would happen again so you could blame it on AGW...

Just exactly what will be your excuses be if in the next 15-30 years the current warming trend reverses itself...what will the blathering idiots that believe in the ignorance of experts be saying then?

It is happening- check out the dust storms that phoenix gets.

/ Global Warming? #2,954  
Oh you mean like the dust bowl way way back in the 30's? hmm Makes you stop and think? Could the GW really be full of ****

My foot hurts lately, probably Global warming I'll bet.

You might try taking that foot out of your mouth, -look for bite marks before you blame global warming, dumb people these days!:D:D:laughing:

/ Global Warming? #2,955  
Climate Insurance

remember: "it's the economy stupid..." -- now it is this....."it's global warming stupid..."
I like mine better, "it's the Money stupid" , lets not loose site and muck it all up with bla bla bla

/ Global Warming? #2,956  
You might try taking that foot out of your mouth, -look for bite marks before you blame global warming, dumb people these days!:D:D:laughing:

might as well just call the bite marks because of global warming too! The most bite marks people seen since the 1880's Look it must be global warming.

/ Global Warming? #2,958  
Hmm'...... seems it happened 100 years ago too Oh my GOD!! It's Global warming See how silly it is. 100 years ago not too many cars
but yet the same dust storms as of today
Phoenix Dust Storm a "100-Year Event"

/ Global Warming? #2,960  
Hmm'...... seems it happened 100 years ago too Oh my GOD!! It's Global warming See how silly it is. 100 years ago not too many cars
but yet the same dust storms as of today
Phoenix Dust Storm a "100-Year Event"

Didn't you watch the video- said 2 dust storms- a year apart. That makes 2 -100 year events within 2 years!
I thought 100 year events were separated by 100 years. Guess GW moved the time table up.
It's GW stupid.... I like that, It's GW stupid...:D:D:laughing::laughing::)

Status
Not open for further replies.