Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #31  
EddieWalker said:
Bird, that storm is on it's way here!! Our local weather forecasters are in there little weatherman heaven reporting all the doom and gloom of this storm. It seems the worse it is, the more exited they get!!!

Steph says that is one of the kids say they want to be an meteoroligst, she'll beat it out of them. hahahahaha So far they have been dead wrong on just about everything that supposed to happen. Now I'm waiting around until 4pm when it's suppposed to drop twenty degrees.

I don't believe in man made global warming, nor do I think it's anything more than a way to make money for those makeing the warning. Global warming lobiest now spend more money than big oil. Al Gore has been proven wrong on just about everything he's predicted and stated as fact. He's not quite the joke of Jimmy Carter, but he's on his way. hahaha

Have you ever noticed that even as warm as it was last year and even this year that we never broke any record temps? All the high tempature records were set in the 30's give or take a decade. Same thing with hurricanes. Not one this year and all the records for those were in the 30's too.

Hope your staying warm and indoors today. I'm gonna finish up a few projects and hide from the weather. hahaha

Eddie

Awwww come on Eddie; let the kid join the ranks of us meteorologists. He'll soon learn to expect the verbal lashings when Mother Nature decides to throw a curve ball, and screw someone's day up, and guess who the the most accessable person to complain to is. :-(

Steve
Daphne, Al

/ Global Warming? #32  
Unfortunately, at that time, Al Gore's ancestors were all huddled in a cave somewhere freezing to death and had not yet invented human language, speech, or writing to record the last Global Warming event, but they all sure could grunt real good......it would be another ten milleniums until Al was able to invent the internet and warn everyone.

We might be better off if just one of Al's ancestors had frozen to death before he had a chance to reporduce.

As you note, there has been significant global warming since the last ice age, and I personally have benefitted greatly from it. So have most of us. The current trend is nothing but natural variation probably caused by varitions in the sun's energy output.

Politicians can't do much about that, but they sure can try hard to impoverish us with ineffective "cures".

/ Global Warming? #33  
I'm the one who brought up Al Gore, so it must be me that Tom is upset with. Why he attacked Bird for my post is beyond me, but maybe he just doen't like you bird? hahaha

Good ole Al is the leading politician making money off global warming, so it's in his best interest to push it. He doesn't believe it for one second, or he wouldn't be flying in private jets, driving in SUV motorcades and heating two mansions. He wastes more energy than any dozen of us here, so it's kind of hard to take the guy seriosly when he doesn't follow his own advice.

Neither Clinton or Bush are at his level, so it's hard to say this is a politcal discusion, it's just one guy who has gone way overboard with his views to make as much money as he can.

The planet is one degree warmer on average than it was 100 years ago. A few glaciers have receded, but allot more have grown. You can look at the data anyway you want, but I'm gonna stick with natural weather as the reason for what happens on the planet and not blame the USA for everything that's bad. China has smog so bad that people are passing out in the streets and they are going to ban all vehicles for the Olympics to cut down on there smog issue.

I'm sorry if those who think a one degree averag tempature increase over the last hundred years is something to worry about. I don't. I also don't think that there is any way we humans on this planet can stop the natural cycle and climate changes that happen here. In time, it will get hotter, and in time in will get colder again. There have been too many ice ages for there not to be another.

Eddie

/ Global Warming? #34  
SkyPup said:
What happened to all the terrible powerful hurricanes that were all predicted to make landfall and wreck havoc in the USA this year on the dire account and warning from all the global warming folks?

Oops, just forget that dire prediction from the global warming experts. The press will make a point of not talking about this "oops" because it does not fit with the current doom and gloom agenda. Now, if we get a random hot spell or dry spell next year, cripes, they will be telling us about global warming all over again, even if the last record dry spell or hot spell on record occured in 1880.
Bob

/ Global Warming? #35  
EddieWalker said:
Good ole Al is the leading politician making money off global warming, so it's in his best interest to push it. He doesn't believe it for one second, or he wouldn't be flying in private jets, driving in SUV motorcades and heating two mansions. He wastes more energy than any dozen of us here, so it's kind of hard to take the guy seriosly when he doesn't follow his own advice.

Eddie

Do not forget Mr. Kerry. Half a dozen homes all over the world, more factories (owned by his wife) outside of the USA than we can count, yet always concerned about "us".
Bob

/ Global Warming? #36  
I think part of the problem is that we humans have a hard time spotting real trends. When you start talking about tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of years, we tend to place undue significance to the little things that we see happening now. And in terms of global climate change, "now" is most of human history. Now certainly the good scientists who study this stuff understand that....but there are ideologies (not facts) that cloud judgement. This is not an accusation, its a fact and it spans all of science and always will. Humans have probably only been recording reliable weather history for the last 400 years. Probably much less in terms of global application. I think the rest of the data is extraplolated from geological and snow/ice core samples. Hmmm. That's a standard based on agreement, not measurement.

But, here's the thing. I'm willing to concede global climate change. It has always changed, why shouldn't it be changing now? I'm also willing to accept on faith (by faith because I haven't seen any hard, indisputable facts, mostly just political jockeying) that man is the cause of the current change. What I'm not willing to accept is that this change is bad. Why do we assume it is bad? Are all climate changes bad? Are any climate changes really bad? If we are purely logical (no politics, no religion) then nothing natural is really bad. It might no suit some of us some of the time. But that's a pretty narrow view isn't it? The truth of the matter is that even if everything weird Al predicts comes true, a tremendous number of people, animals and plants are going to BENEFIT from them. Some will not. But no one every mentions the potential benefits. THAT is how you know the scientific study of climate change is politicized.

/ Global Warming? #37  
Even Stephen Hawkings recently reiterated that the only way for humans to survive is to migrate to other planets outside this Solar System.

""The long-term survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet," he said in a radio interview with the British Broadcasting Corp. "Sooner or later, disasters such as an asteroid collision or nuclear war could wipe us all out. But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe."

Because there are no other planets like Earth in our own solar system, Hawking said humans will have to travel to another star to find a hospitable planet to colonize. At the speed of chemical-propelled rockets like the Apollo, the trip to the next nearest star would take 50,000 years, he said.

Hawking: Humans Must Go to Other Planets

Geez, no wonder Al Gore is so worried, his ancestors should have left this planet over 50,000 years ago instead of planting him here to die ....... :rolleyes:

/ Global Warming? #38  
Sometimes you wonder if there is anything other than yolk in some of these eggheads. No offense to Hawking, he's obviously a brilliant physicist, but from such statements it sounds like he must have slept through biology class. We often like to joke about how resilient the cock roach is. Well, they got nothing on us. Nothing. A thousand years from now we might not all be living in the Biltmore House, and it might be 1.237 degrees hotter than we like it, but if the earth is here, we will be here too, stomping on cock roaches.

/ Global Warming? #39  
We might be better off if just one of Al's ancestors had frozen to death before he had a chance to reporduce.

Hehehe, AMEN
:D :D :D

/ Global Warming? #40  
We're doomed. Now they're putting up all these wind generators to catch the wind and generate electricity. What happens when all the wind is caught? No electricity. Then they'll put up all these solar panels to absorb the suns rays to produce electricity. What happens when all the suns rays are absorbed? No electricity. Then with no wind, no suns rays, we have global cooling. Then what, cycle starts again:D

Status
Not open for further replies.