Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #41  
Considering that of all the living things on earth 95% are now extinct perhaps Hawkins is on to something!:D

Now I don't know beans about global warming and our influence??? on it but remember the song?

"Whatever will be will be"
"The futures not ours to see"

/ Global Warming? #42  
Egon said:
Considering that of all the living things on earth 95% are now extinct

Where do you get this information? :confused:

/ Global Warming? #43  
EddieWalker said:
... A few glaciers have receded, but allot more have grown. You can look at the data anyway you want, but I'm gonna stick with natural weather as the reason for what happens on the planet and not blame the USA for everything that's bad. ...
Eddie

Eddie,

From everything I know about, glaciers all over the world are receding. There are big changes at the North and South pole. I believe their are all sorts of natural and manmade influences to climate. The sunspot activity is probably the biggest factor for sea surface temperature cycles. You have heard about el Nino or la Nina. We must be able to sort through the BS. Not an easy subject.

Jim

/ Global Warming? #44  
Those who don't believe in global warming have to ignore some pretty major evidence that it is happening.

Ice caps at both poles shrinking.
Open water in the Arctic Ocean that didn't used to be.
Glaciers receding world wide.

That it is happening can't be denied. Does mankinds activity have any influence on it? That is what the debate is about, not whether or not it is happening.

Harry K

/ Global Warming? #45  
Jim, there are some glaciers that have been growing. I heard that the Antartica is getting lots of snow.

The problem with Global Warming is that it is political. There was a group of Greenies that picketed the Hurricane Center because the head of the center does not believe Global Warming is caused by humans or that it is affecting hurricanes. There are others the believe what he does but the Greenies are trying to shut them up by threatening their jobs.

Very Orwellian. Very PC.

When someone says Global Warming what is usually meant is Human Caused Global Warming. I believe Global Warming is happening. But I don't believe its Human Caused Global Warming.

Greenland use to be Green. Its turning Green again. Archeologist have studied the settlements in Greenland and they can see the change in diet from land based animals to marine ones that was caused by Greenland turning into a bigger Iceland. The settlers did not adjust to living off the ocean so the died off and/or left.

I don't believe the ice was caused by humans...

I was watching something the other night about when humans came to North America. The scientists know it happened at least 10,000 years ago. No real debate there. The debate is did the movement happen at 11,000, 12,000, etc years. The problem is that the most likey travel routes are under water. Hmmm. If the land was not under water 10,000 years ago that means it got warmer, the ice melted, and the oceans rose.

I guess humanity 10,000+ years ago did not have Greenies telling them to stop burning trees since it was leading to Global Warming. Good thing too.

The UK just had this "study" done on about Global Warmng. The way to stop Global Warming was to raise taxes on the usual suspects such as transportation but also hotels. The reporters never said how the taxes would be used to stop Global Warming.

Don't forget the around 1800 there was a mini ice age for some reason. There was snow on the ground during the summer in New Egland. Crops failed. Livestock died. People had to move or die.

I guess all the horse, mules, and oxen people had back then pooted, which led to Global Warming and stopped the Ice Age.

By the way, one of the arugments FOR Human Caused Global Warming is that humans have such huge number of livestock that they poot and poop which adds to Greenhouse gasses and thus to the warming. Course this argument somehow glosses over the herds of Bison that used to take days to pass one spot on the plains. Or equally large number of animals that used to walk in Europe, Africa, and Asia. Those are "natural" animals, Greenies. Their poot and poop don't stink, so to speak.

:eek::D

Later,
Dan

/ Global Warming? #46  
turnkey4099 said:
Those who don't believe in global warming have to ignore some pretty major evidence that it is happening.

Ice caps at both poles shrinking.
Open water in the Arctic Ocean that didn't used to be.
Glaciers receding world wide.

That it is happening can't be denied. Does mankinds activity have any influence on it? That is what the debate is about, not whether or not it is happening.

Harry K

Harry, Harry, Harry. Of course it can be denied. Where you been, boy? Denial is alive and well and prospering. The oil will last forever. Even if we've managed to polute major parts of the water of the Earth, our impact on the atmosphere is obviously trivial. Those contrails up there that seem to turn into clouds are nothing at all. Acid rain is fiction. The passenger pigeon needs company wherever it is we sent him. All those eggheads with degrees are just scrambling their yolks because they are too stupid to do real work. Relax. Don't worry. Social Security will take care of you.

Chuck

/ Global Warming? #47  
I'm not a scientist, and like most of us here, I base my opinions and form my opinions on what I read, then decide how factual that information is. If somebody is telling me that my car or home is causing global warming, but that person has more car, more homes and contributes 100 times the polution and burns 100 times the fossel fuels than I do, then I consider that person a hypocrite. If somebody makes statement after statement that is later proven to be false, misleading and totaly fabricated in order to suport there point of view, than I don't consider that person to have any credibility.

I consider most of what's reported on the news to be political. Local news is bad, but national news is downright horrible.

Most of what I read I also consider biased for one reason or another, so it's rare that somebody writes something that I find credible. It's even rarer for a politician to do this.

I don't know anything about Senator James Inhofe from Oklahoma, but his speach last year is one of the best I've come across that addresses the Global Warming debate. He brings up just about evey issue and offers a counter point of view that to my way of thinking makes allot more sense than what I'm getting from the Al Gore's out there.

James M. Inhofe - U.S. Senator - Oklahoma

I'd be very interested to here what he got wrong and why he's wrong. I'm of the opinion that he got it right and he says so very clearly.

Eddie

/ Global Warming? #49  
"Science" magazine has just published a report about the carbon dioxide levels being 27% higher than anytime in the last 650,000 years. This has been determined by careful examination of Antarctic ice cores. I can't see how we can't be affecting the atmosphere through all the deforrestation and fossil fuel use. I believe Global Warming to be a very real issue. How can we burn 80 million+ barrels of oil per day worldwide along with the coal and NOT have an effect on the atmosphere?

/ Global Warming? #50  
I'm not going to take the time, but anyone who is interested can find information (and you other "old-timers" probably recall) that in the 60s the then-equivalent of the whatever-pseudonym-you-prefer for those who seem to always have something they need to stop mankind from doing were telling us that by 2000 the world would be overpopulated to levels that would leave us with mass starvation and disease. Later in the 60s and early 70s we were facing another imminent ice age from the nuclear winter that was going to occur when we rained down atomic havoc on the globe. No nuclear winter, and the only starvation we have is politically induced (i.e., food is withheld or prevented from getting to a region). Plenty of food around the globe (again...I acknowledge distribution of it to be an issue, but that is from political influences in the places where people are starving), and no nuclear winter.

How does any scientist know what the blazes things were like thousands of years ago? A thousand years ago "science" insisted the earth was flat. "Science" said leeches would cure disease. "Science" has been repeatedly and routinely trumped by new information, which makes what was "science" now just bad information..not just old information, but often wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.