Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #511  
What is your area of science? Perhaps I can hook you up. :D

I wonder which planets are warming and how much measured by whom and with what.

EE bota, not sure what I have to do with it or why you ask the question or ask it in that way. I'm not reporting my work, just published work of others. As regards where can you read any of my work. Answer is it is extremely unlikely that you can for several reasons including but not limited to your security clearance and your need to know. It is pretty unlikely that you have both of those.

I can say that I'm not a biologist but have been involved accidentally/peripherally with whales while detecting French atomic tests from over 4000 nautical miles away via underwater sound. This involves a wide variety of physical phenomena and many disciplines. I am comfortable reading in many areas of physical sciences. A sort of scientific jack of many trades and master of few. I have an interest in many areas of scientific endeavor as do some other folks on TBN some of whom enjoy reading these snippets and or the full text if interest is piqued.

Again, I don't understand your question regarding me. This is not a me issue. Maybe to dispel confusion you could just state plainly what is on your mind and avoid the error inherent in my guessing. I may have an answer for you.

As to the veracity of the information I post, whether or not I ever completed 6th grade would make no difference. I think it best we restrict our comments to what is said and its merits rather than resorting to an ad hominem argument.

Pat

/ Global Warming? #512  

EE bota, not sure what I have to do with it or why you ask the question or ask it in that way. I'm not reporting my work, just published work of others. As regards where can you read any of my work. Answer is it is extremely unlikely that you can for several reasons including but not limited to your security clearance and your need to know. It is pretty unlikely that you have both of those.

I can say that I'm not a biologist but have been involved accidentally/peripherally with whales while detecting French atomic tests from over 4000 nautical miles away via underwater sound. This involves a wide variety of physical phenomena and many disciplines. I am comfortable reading in many areas of physical sciences. A sort of scientific jack of many trades and master of few. I have an interest in many areas of scientific endeavor as do some other folks on TBN some of whom enjoy reading these snippets and or the full text if interest is piqued.

Again, I don't understand your question regarding me. This is not a me issue. Maybe to dispel confusion you could just state plainly what is on your mind and avoid the error inherent in my guessing. I may have an answer for you.

As to the veracity of the information I post, whether or not I ever completed 6th grade would make no difference. I think it best we restrict our comments to what is said and its merits rather than resorting to an ad hominem argument.

Pat

Actually, it is far simpler than you took it. The first part was a query about your area of science (due to your mention of being a scientist.) The second part was a mild joke, since I took you as joking when you said "I'd like to get some of that money."

/ Global Warming? #513  
I can say that I'm not a biologist but have been involved accidentally/peripherally with whales while detecting French atomic tests from over 4000 nautical miles away via underwater sound.

Interesting, I used to work on similar projects on land using infrasonic arrays.

/ Global Warming? #514  
I have been to groves of pine trees up above 11,000 ft where the trees are so old that much of their roots are exposed as the mountain (mostly rock) has worn down exposing them.

Some of these trees are over 5,000 years old.

I didn't see any sea shells.

Pat

We need to be talking millions of years not thousands.
Older mountains on the east coast have been around long enough to convert the calcium in diatoms and seashells into limestone or marble. Some areas of the Midwest also have deposits of limestone and salt domes.

/ Global Warming? #515  
Didn't them Eastern mountains wear down to just little Nubbins and end up out under the Atlantic covering up a bunch hydrocarbons? Probably helped raise the sea level some??:D

/ Global Warming? #516  
Pat

A google search revealed this...apparently many bodies are warming.

Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds | LiveScience

It does not seem to be in dispute. Some of the scientists, including Mann, say it has nothing to do with the sun, but with issues specific to each case.

Jupiter, Pluto, asteroids, Mars, all warming.

ThinkProgress says its a myth
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2007/08/08/201757/the-other-planets-are-warming-myth/?mobile=nc
but also says it is true in some cases.

This one mentions methods...direct observation of ice caps... but does not really agree with the theory...but answers part of your question.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/02/070228-mars-warming.html

This one, like ThinkProgress, seems relatively unbiased (I would put a smiley here..but it didn't work last time)
http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/globalwarming.html

/ Global Warming? #517  
Didn't them Eastern mountains wear down to just little Nubbins and end up out under the Atlantic covering up a bunch hydrocarbons? Probably helped raise the sea level some??:D

Let's track it and see: :D
File:TectonicReconstructionGlobal2.gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like some of the east cost disappears somewhere around the British Isles in the last two frames. So I think you're on to something there. A little more granularity and a little slower would be nice.

/ Global Warming? #519  
Actually, it is far simpler than you took it. The first part was a query about your area of science (due to your mention of being a scientist.) The second part was a mild joke, since I took you as joking when you said "I'd like to get some of that money."

Oh, OK. I really prefer face to face I have a devil of a time sometimes when I can't see your face like the previous exchange. Well du-uh Patrick, answer the man...

I started out in physics and found out a BS will let you be an electronics technician for a PhD so I cut to the chase and became an electronics guy engineering various things fromWinchester drive stuff nin 70's , medical electronic instruments, portable battery operated welders and lots of lesser consulting free lance stuff and then... I found true religion (computers) and went enrolled in "a couple evening classes just to find out what the other side of the coin was like (software)" and had so much fun I got a BS in computer science. Went to work for Government and in more evening classes got masters in software engineering and then about 6 yrs before taking early retirement I changed jobs within the lab where I worked (job title scientist) and was accepted in new job on probation pending going back to grad school at San Diego State University in instructional technology which is engineering training solutions and related courseware materials from a checklist or workbook to computer aided instruction over the internet and everything between. I was mostly managing but did get my hands dirty on the computer stuff and requirements analysis for Naval warfighting systems like the Joint Strike Fighter, several UAV's FA-18, and a host of surface combatants. Somewhere in there I skipped over a few years where I was in charge of SSIXS (not a Tom Clancy fan?) OK SSIXS is the system that gets a message from the pres to the nuclear weapon shooter submarine within 5 min of origination or in less stressful times the birth announcement to a submariner who is submerged for months at a time. I sorta glossed over lots of detail but you get the idea. Standard jack of many things scientific and master of a few.

I had jobs where they called me engineer too but what did they know? One startup I was affiliated with gave me the official title of "Wizard" and I received mail so addressed. Now I have 160 acres, 12 ponds, and a herd of black Angus in a prolonged drought but sure slung plenty of mud when I was out this PM tending to herd issues.. I'm also a pilot, SCUBA diver, Ham, woodworker, sharpshooter, Viet Nam Era Vet, instrument flying instructor on computerized simulator (USAF), backpacker, pool shooter, movie buff, electographer, and a bunch of other stuff. I can neuter a shark, clear a bar, sail a sailboat, run a slalom course in a sports car or grab some air with my VW powered dune buggy (as soon as I replace the leaky oil cooler and re-install the engine.

I have no dog in the fight with respect to the issue of whether global warming/climate change is to any degree man made. I don't make or lose money on related issues. I think it unfortunate that so many people have been exposed to so much confusion that there is a general backlash against the unsettling thought that there may be detrimental change. This paralysis is not doing the afflicted or the rest of us any good.

I'm reminded of the scene in the original movie "Poseidon Adventure" where there are two groups of survivors inside the upside down cruise ship. They pass each other going in opposite directions, each totally convinced they are headed toward survival/escape and that the other group however well intentioned is doomed to perish. They each make entreaty to the other to come with us and live. Proceed at your own peril. One group survived.

You are offered a drink. There is a filter that can reduce contaminates to a safe level but it is expensive and you have been drinking from this well for years. How would you like to find out after it was too late that you have knocked off 20 years from your like expectancy due to contaminates you could have filtered out but didn't based on any number of specious arguments as valid as the guy who fell off the 40 story building and was heard to shout as he passed the 20th floor, "So far so good!"

No matter where you go there you are - Buckaroo Banzai in his adventures across the eighth dimension.

You ask what time it is and not only do I tell you how to build a watch but also the history of horology.;)

Pat

/ Global Warming? #520  
A google search revealed this...apparently many bodies are warming.

Sun Blamed for Warming of Earth and Other Worlds | LiveScience

It does not seem to be in dispute. Some of the scientists, including Mann, say it has nothing to do with the sun, but with issues specific to each case.

Jupiter, Pluto, asteroids, Mars, all warming.

ThinkProgress says its a myth
The "Other Planets Are Warming" Myth | ThinkProgress
but also says it is true in some cases.

This one mentions methods...direct observation of ice caps... but does not really agree with the theory...but answers part of your question.

Mars Melt Hints at Solar, Not Human, Cause for Warming, Scientist Says

This one, like ThinkProgress, seems relatively unbiased (I would put a smiley here..but it didn't work last time)
The Global Warming Scam

Well gee, I have little or no hope for ever living on or visiting other planets in our solar system or anywhere else so am not concerned with the potential of their climate change. At best the jury is out regarding whether or not you can correlate their changes with ours. It there were a strong correlation that would be of interest.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.