Global Warming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Global Warming? #881  
That is something that I am the least educated about. How many people can actually access it? I could not. I suspect the more urban you are, the less likely it is an option. Also here in California, I suspect you would need an EPA review to even consider installing anything in a stream, it really is that bad out here. Have you seen the size and amount of wind power out here? It is massive! Here is an article about a nearby utility company called SMUD. I installed backup generation for this place last summer.

- The Washington Post

Wow, those are big turbines!

We supply New York City water 150 miles away, The have been buying up all the land around the water shed but it will keep us from fracking as the gas companies can't frack in the water shed. They own about 75 or 100 acres across from my land. I have a small stream that feeds the water shed but I don't think they are to concerned about it. I was told that if you aren't selling it or making a monstrous generator they look the other way. I'll see, my microhydro is going in this summer. We're environmentalists so I'll be careful.

Rob

/ Global Warming? #882  
Pat, the economic issue is very dependent on the price of your power (as well as rebate incentives)and how quickly one goes into the next tier. If I run my alarm clock with no buzzer, I can stay in tier 1, run the buzzer and it puts me in tier 2 :D. Few folks can stay out of tier 3 without solar assistance. I think tier 3 is now pushing 38 cents per kwh. This does not include transmission and distribution charges. WE burn about 1000 kwh a month. We have a Hot Springs spa, a swimming pool and 2 refrigerators. NG for heat and water heater as well as the stove. If we killed one frig and dropped the spa, I suspect we could do quite a bit better. You are indeed correct about folks who live off the beaten path with no power close by. The cost to get the wire there is prohibitive for most. Small hydro and/or solar with battery storage is the preferred method.

Yup, economicks do enter into it, you betcha. As Energy Conservation Officer I was staff to the Base CO. I vied with other department heads like weps for example for $ for my projects. I did credible Net Present Value workups on virtually all my projects and pitched them on break even time and return on investment. We were the Government and did not qualify for special rebates and such. I had to deal with reality and not depend on robbing someone else through special subsidies.

If a project doesn't have the numbers, i.e. NPV, ROI, and fast enough breakeven then in the civilian world you are either getting special treatment or are kidding yourself and likely some of each.

I used to have recreational property in Baja California del Norte Mexico. It was in a solar only region. I had to sign papers declaring my understanding that I would not be on the grid and that furthermore I understood I was prohibited from joining a group action to attempt to get on the grid in the future. Generators were permitted and needed for equalization charging for proper battery maint. There were generator quiet hours so peace and quiet were maintained and solar meant solar not generator with token solar.

I may have as much or more experience with engineering, installation, and maint of solar energy, battery systems, inverters, dc water pumps and related dc household stuff as most folks here about.

I'd love to see the calcs that make solar "work" for you without ripping off your fellow taxpayers. I'd really like to see those with battery systems and inverters. Almost everyone underestimates long term battery maint expense.

Pat

/ Global Warming? #883  
A lot of scientists 'know' about CC. There are also a lot of companies, for monetary reasons, attempting to create confusion around CC.

Again:

Exxon Mobil : Influence / Lobbying

American Petroleum Institute (API) American Petroleum Institute
The oil industry's think-tank, explains that its 'most pressing issues revolve about public perceptions and government policies toward our industry -- many of which have international dimensions' [61], one of these issues being climate change. The institute lobbies against any action on climate change that could be perceived as a threat to the petroleum industry, and is extremely sceptical about the science behind climate change. 措T]he debate is about whether enough is known about climate change to warrant the lost jobs, higher consumer prices and a weakened U.S. economy that would come with implementing the Kyoto Protocol, an agreement which at best would make only slight progress toward solving climate change [62]. ExxonMobil is a financial supporter of the API and sits on the board. In 1998, Exxon helped API to plan its $ 7 million PR campaign to undermine confidence in the scientific consensus about climate change [63]. The API is a member of the Global Climate Coalition (see below).

Rob
By that reasoning you should remove Prof Mann's work and East Angelica University's work and all the work done where data was not shared publicly when lawfully requested.
The question about the pilot is answered with a simple yes or no. I can't find it in your reply. So why trust them with your life on Climate change?

/ Global Warming? #884  
Now as regards getting on a plane... Do I get to be the pilot or get to choose the pilot. They are not all identical just as not all scientists are alike. Recall the drunk pilot scandals? There are good, bad, and indifferent members of both groups; scientists and pilots. Minus a few flaws in presentation, the basic attempt was amusing and I'm sure most of us "got it."

Would you drink the koolaid if it were offered to you by a minister? How about a vegetarian minister?

Pat ;) ;)

You did not answer the question either. Amusing? From what I can tell, climate science has advanced to where a high hour student pilot would be. He knows how to get the airplane up and down on a basic level on a good day, has flown cross-country, but has yet to demo he is really ready not to have an instructor. I base it on the lack of answers by both the "experts" here and in the scientific articles I have read.
Some say regardless of no planning we MUST DO SOMETHING. So we have people lobbying both on TBN and in DC to start one of the most ill defined projects controlling the climate. Based on what we know, there is no goal, no way to know the effectiveness of the efforts, and no promise of any cost containment. Have you seen a better recipe for disaster?

/ Global Warming? #885  
By that reasoning you should remove Prof Mann's work and East Angelica University's work and all the work done where data was not shared publicly when lawfully requested.
The question about the pilot is answered with a simple yes or no. I can't find it in your reply. So why trust them with your life on Climate change?

So who do you want to trust Exxon? Logic dictates that they would want to muddy the CC water, the last thing they want is for someone to hold oil accountable for CC.

Your analogy is apples to oranges. What are looking for someone to say they would go up with a questionable pilot? Well maybe you would if your life depended on it. If you had to get a heart for your loved one who was dying and the plane was the only way to get the heart in time, Ill bet you'd go, I would.

I'm not off grid for CC, I think it is real but my reasoning is that the planet is in trouble from pollution, that's what's causing the health problems. Things like coal slurries in WV destroying the environment, at what point do we say resources will run out and we have to find clean ways to live for future generations. Or don't you think resources on this planet will ever run out? The last time we had a major oil find was the North Sea in 69. In 2005 OPEC decided to base a countries oil sales on the countries reserves, all of a sudden everyone's reserves doubled and tripled!

Also I wonder if you guys understand Alternate energy. First, there are some misconceptions about setting up systems. Basically solar guys go in and look at your bill and say you need an 'X' amount of panels or wind turbines. I had an installer come here and do that to me. I said, "woe, hold on, that's not how it should be done, the first thing you should do is cut people's energy usage. You can't put on solar panels and expect to live with incandescent lights left on all night." So instead of people realizing that they can't keep abusing energy they say," I can't get enough panels to run my house." Meam while they're wasting energy all over the place. We don't use 1/4 of the world's energy for nothing!

The other thing is that I'm reducing pollution and the rates of all the people in the coop, why are you angry when people get incentives. We go into wars to defend corporate oil interests in the middle east and you pay for that, are you getting a fuel benefit?

Alternate energy is people power, it takes money out of the corporate machine that feeds lobbies that control our country and lives. When I put up solar panels there's a direct benefit to the local people. When you buy electricity from PG&E that's a few people making money, they still control the energy, not you.

How do I beat the system? I run on intertie, my off grid doesn't work the batteries, they're several years old and going strong. batteries last a long time if you keep the discharge rate low, 10 or 20%. My intertie covers my energy usage and then some, so I'm actually powering another house in the summer. On sunny days I shut off the grid and the solar panels run the house with very little discharge, now I'm selling even more to the coop and everyone benefits.

Do I waste energy? Nope, EPEAT gold computers, all CFL's, etc. But people want to build big homes, drive gas guzzlers and then say,"Gee, solar won't work for me". So they drive around in a $45k SUV that gives them no return ever on theri money and say, "The pay back on solar is too long!" If we got any stupider we'd forget how to stand erect.

Some people around here accuse me of telling everyone how they should live. I'm not telling people how to live, but don't cry when you're paying a high price for heating oil next winter when I'm heating my house with AE for free.At that point I don't care how high oil prices go, can you say that?

If you can't see what's coming down the road you're blind, things aren't going to get better, there aren't any silver bullets, it's about common sense, a rare commodity in this country!

Rob

/ Global Warming? #886  
Rob D.
You take yourself far to seriously and it is clear that you know more than anyone else on this forum. At least in you tiny mind. Get off your high horse, just because facts or figures don't agree with you, does not make them wrong.

Your big deal Self Contained electric plant is going to take more than 1 person just to keep it all working. Lie to me and everyone else if you like about how great it is. Quite frankly I will bet that if you look at it in a realistic light, it is 1 big pain in the Butt.

So nice that other folks, as in Tax payers paid for 30% of it for you. Glad to help you out. Since you are saving so much money and maybe sell some of your excess power to the power co. Pay Back that 30%, you can afford it.

Like most loons, you rant & rave about conspiracy.s by Big Oil, Fox news and most anyone that does not fit into Your Little Mold on how to live life and Save The Planet.

Don't worry about all the Lead & Acid in all your batteries, none of that hurts the environment.

/ Global Warming? #887  
A little Quiz.

How many of you folks would like to pay more taxes to help out folks like Rob D. install green energy????????

Maybe even enough more to give to the Salindra's and the 16 other Green energy company's that are going belly up.

/ Global Warming? #888  
Yup, economicks do enter into it, you betcha. As Energy Conservation Officer I was staff to the Base CO. I vied with other department heads like weps for example for $ for my projects. I did credible Net Present Value workups on virtually all my projects and pitched them on break even time and return on investment. We were the Government and did not qualify for special rebates and such. I had to deal with reality and not depend on robbing someone else through special subsidies.

If a project doesn't have the numbers, i.e. NPV, ROI, and fast enough breakeven then in the civilian world you are either getting special treatment or are kidding yourself and likely some of each.

I used to have recreational property in Baja California del Norte Mexico. It was in a solar only region. I had to sign papers declaring my understanding that I would not be on the grid and that furthermore I understood I was prohibited from joining a group action to attempt to get on the grid in the future. Generators were permitted and needed for equalization charging for proper battery maint. There were generator quiet hours so peace and quiet were maintained and solar meant solar not generator with token solar.

I may have as much or more experience with engineering, installation, and maint of solar energy, battery systems, inverters, dc water pumps and related dc household stuff as most folks here about.

I'd love to see the calcs that make solar "work" for you without ripping off your fellow taxpayers. I'd really like to see those with battery systems and inverters. Almost everyone underestimates long term battery maint expense.

Pat

The last paragraph you mention is the part that I also have trouble with. I have not followed the rebates here, but I think its somewhere around a 40% rebate when combined from state and federal. I agree from an economic perspective, without those rebates from the taxpayer, it won't pencil. Its pretty amazing the number of solar companies around here even in times like these. If you are correct, they are fooling an awful lot of people. I have heard pay back in as little as 10 years, but I am only going on hearsay.

/ Global Warming? #889  
Just a little reality check. When I installed my first wind generator and stand alone system in 1983 I took advantage of some incentives. I was not given a direct payment but bth my federal and state tax liability off the year was reduced. Most of that system does not exist anymore (batteries long gone, inverter upgraded twice, old wind unit died) All of what I use now was purchased with my own after tax money as you anyone else would have purchased their "things". (solar panels, small wind units, voltage regulators, batteries, inverter/charger) The implication that most all renewable energy systems are subsidized with poor "tax payers" money is inaccurate. It is a fact that fossil fuel producers enjoy subsidies and tax breaks and are not responsible for all the damage they cause. (A current example in the nuclear industry is a tax funded cleanup of the damage caused by a private uranium mining operation) Privatize the profit....socialize the cleanup
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/01/u...lected-and-still-perilous.html?pagewanted=all

Anyone who believes that they have they have not seen financial benefit from products that are subsidized is quite naive.

The real key to saving money on energy is to quit wasting gas and electricity. More use, gas guzzlers and poorly insulated over sized homes is not directly correlated with a better standard of living and a higher level of happiness. I'm sure that I have actually spent more dollars per KWH of electric usage but I also predict that I have spent much less on energy overall as I have learned to live well while using much less energy.

Loren

/ Global Warming? #890  
Energy, types and supplies and different uses for that energy. All in a big pot and stirred.

I'm wondering how our energy usage breaks down into general classifications. Then one could start to redefine those classifications to see how alternate approaches would yield results but with less energy consumption. Might mean some big changes to the general classifications with completly different approaches, yes??

Think of most scarce priority resource and how the elimination of the flush toilet would change the usage and treatment of this resource.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Just note that if there is Global Warming and climate change the precipitation pattern's and Glacial Melt Water may have drastic changes.

Past Weather Pattern change evidence is readily available in many areas of the world with the presence of existing Tells. Satellite usage reveals more than probably imagined.:thumbsup:

Don't drink Spiked Coolaid. Never have a chance to observe the Pilot's prior to flight and would have no knowledge of how to determine their competency.:)

But I surely would be able to tell if I'd enjoy a Deadhead in the jump seat.:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.