Newbit tree cutdown question

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #1  

sendero

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
Ok, I've cut down a boatload of trees. But I have one that's going to need some special care.

This tree has to fall a certain direction, because there is a power line that it *might* touch if it doesn't. And I've learned the hard way that if a tree WANTS to fall a certain direction, you can notch it like the book says and it will IGNORE you. This tree would definitely prefer to fall toward the power line, having a slight tilt in that direction.

So, I assume I need to tie a rope to it, maybe a few feet off the ground, and put some tension on it in the direction you want it to fall.

But what else? Do you then use the same notch technique? Seems like it might be better just to cut it across it this case.

Any advice y'all would have about doing this I'd appreciate. I've had a couple of close calls cutting larger trees, and I'd really prefer not to create any new problems :)

Merry Christmas everyone.

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #3  
sendero said:
Ok, I've cut down a boatload of trees. But I have one that's going to need some special care.

This tree has to fall a certain direction, because there is a power line that it *might* touch if it doesn't. And I've learned the hard way that if a tree WANTS to fall a certain direction, you can notch it like the book says and it will IGNORE you. This tree would definitely prefer to fall toward the power line, having a slight tilt in that direction.

So, I assume I need to tie a rope to it, maybe a few feet off the ground, and put some tension on it in the direction you want it to fall.

But what else? Do you then use the same notch technique? Seems like it might be better just to cut it across it this case.

Any advice y'all would have about doing this I'd appreciate. I've had a couple of close calls cutting larger trees, and I'd really prefer not to create any new problems :)

Merry Christmas everyone.

Seddero!

Without seeing the tree it’s hard to tell, however, here is what I suggest:

1. Get the line as high in the tree as possible to gain maximum leverage. I’ve even used a bow and arrow to shoot up a pilot line. Put the line through a block and then away from the fall line so it can be tensioned in safety. Tie the end off.
2. Put a second line on the tree as high as is practical and permanently secure this line to an anchor point such that the tree can’t twist towards the power line.
3. Cut your fall line notch facing some twenty degrees more than normal away from the power line.
4. The straight cut on the back of the tree should be 1/3 down from the top of the opposite notch. Continue this cut until you’ve left about two inches of hinge.
5. Untie the block line and apply maximum tension (you might even pull the tree over). Retie the block line anchor.
6. Back-cut into the hinge till the tree falls.

Hope this helps………Ken

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #4  
I would second the advice K7147 offered. In my very limited experience with leaning trees, I have found it important to 1) cut slowly, and 2) retension as you go. For example you may be able to only move the tree a little bit in the right direction with a block and tackle before you make the first cut. But after notching you should be able to crank it down a little more in the direction you want to go. Then after you start to make the straight cut on the back you should be able to crank it down significantly more - perhaps enough to pull it over completely.

One thing to watch out for - it is rare but it does happen - is that the tree splits right UP the trunk. That is, if you crank it too much after you have cut partially through the trunk, you can pull the tree over, splitting it up the middle of the trunk from your cut. If that happens the tree is going to pivot in wierd ways when it comes down.

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #5  
Also be careful not to cut thru the hinge as this will csuse you to loose control of the fall direction. You can cut a little more on the side opposite of where you want it to go.That will releive that side and leave more meat on the fall direction side which causes the tree to go in that direction.

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #6  
Contact your power company first, and let them send out a line engineer to see what you are going to do. Sometime the power company will take the tree down to the point where it is not a threat to the power line, and then it's your task. :cool:

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #7  
IH3444 has the right idea. let them worry about it and if something goes wrong its their headache. i know this is less adventurous but chances are that the power company will look at it and remedy it if they feel it will hurt their precious power lines.
i've felled enough trees to know that it is not an exact science.

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #8  
Using rope: NO! Not unless it is a better rope than you will find in your local hardware store. Use cable, it isn't much more expensive than good rope anyhow. I broke a rope once on a tall, big locust growing right next to the house. Did my undercut, back cut, went to re-tension and the rope broke. I then had the fun of crawling back up a tree that was ready to fall and placing the cable I should have used first.

Power company: Yes by all means. I had another big locust that looked like it would hit a guy wire, called them and they sent someone out to fall it for me. They disconnected the power from the line (it was a feed to a yard pole) and fell it for me. Yes, they hit the guy wire. The worst that can happen when you call is that they will say no.

Harry K

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #9  
IH3444 said:
Contact your power company first, and let them send out a line engineer to see what you are going to do. Sometime the power company will take the tree down to the point where it is not a threat to the power line, and then it's your task. :cool:

This is the best way to do it, IMHO.

After a call they showed up with high level platform and chopped the pine into pieces, quickly and safely.

/ Newbit tree cutdown question #10  
I had a very large pine that was right inside my property line that I had to take out in order to run power to my place. If it fell the wrong way, it could easily damage the State Highway and even hurt somebody. The tree also had allot of weight on that side of it. Probably enough to cause it to fall that way.

I started asking around and found a guy who said he'd lay it down for $300 right where I wanted it. He climbed the tree to the very top and put on two ropes. One was very thick and braded. He told me it was virtually impossible to break it and it was very expensive, but I don't remember the numbers. That rope was tied to my dozer. He was gonna use his truck, but since I had the dozer, we all thought that would be better.

The other rope he tied to himself and a guy on the ground held one end of it.

He cut the branches off the back side, including one that was full of carpenter ants. To see him try to get away from them with a running chain saw convinced me even more that I didn't want to be up there!!

He had four Stihl chainsaws and his biggest could only make it half way through the truck. He cut the wedge out from both sides and then my dad put some tension on the tree with the dozer.

The picture is of my dad pulling on the rope in the dozer.

He cut the back side of the tree and it fell exactly where I wanted it.

I've taken out thousands of trees with my dozer and backhoe. Some bigger than the one in the picture without any problems, but on this one, I wasn't comfortable with what could happen.

Good luck,
Eddie

Attachments

• Eddie's pics03 273 (Small).jpg
    Eddie's pics03 273 (Small).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 273