PoP Up Ad Blocker??

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Did not get pop up ads on Ebay and TBN till I loaded new version of Norton Internet Security. If there is an Ad Blocker in Norton I can't find it, which is the only thing changed on my computer recently.

If anybody knows of way to fix , or free , easily downloaded effective program to block pop up ads please advise.

It's driving me craZy!!! thanks

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #2  
I use the PopUp blocker and spellchecker built into the Google toolbar. They are both quite effective!

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #3  
I never had a pop up until 5-6 days after my Nortons expired. I just put the '07 version in and i am still getting a few.....What The.......:mad: !!! I'm not sure if the Norton even has a blocker. I have set the one on my windows tool bar to "high' and since then one even got thru.......

RD

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #4  
Internet explorer (latest versions) have their own built in pop up controls. If you are getting pop ups even on ebay and such, I suspect that the pop ups might be related to spyware instead of actual site generated pop ups. In this case, pop up blockers might not even work like you expect. Windows offers a free spyware checker/preventer called windows defender and it can be downloaded for genuine windows users.

Another thing that you might consider doing is including a working "hosts" file into your windows directory. Many people are unaware of this file but it basically is a text file (without any extension, named hosts and not hosts.txt). Do some googling and you can find more information on this file and it's purpose. However, in short, the hosts file prevents any identified site/IP listed on the file from "pushing" information to your computer including spam, worms, trojan horses, viruses, and of course, ads. Fortunately, most ad servers use well known and documented addresses. Unfortunately, it is a lot of work putting together a list that will actually work. Fortunately, the lists are out there for free and others have already done much of the work for you. Including the hosts file will likely result in your computer running more peppy as your browser won't be spending valuable bandwidth downloading banners and ads because those known adware or spammer sites won't be accessible to you. I know that it works because oftentimes, I will see the caption "explorer is unable to load this file" in a location on my browser where I previously had ads displayed. I'm not including the instructions on setting up the hosts file here because (1) it would wear out my fingers typing it all up and (2) you'll need to google and find someone who already has a hosts file designed for you anyhow, and they will have already spent the time generating the instructions which will probably be clearer than something I could put together.

Hope this helps.

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #5  
I use IE 6.0 popup blocker and Ad-aware
Bob

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #6  
Popup Ad, what's that? :) I have not seen one of those in years. Use Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser and you'll never go back.

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #7  
DieselPower said:
Popup Ad, what's that? :) I have not seen one of those in years. Use Mozilla Firefox as your internet browser and you'll never go back.

Yep. 5 years of using Firefox as my browser, along with the free Zone Alarm firewall, AVG free & running Ad-Aware every night & I haven't had one problem, let alone a pop-up.

From what I hear, Norton is a real resource hog, not as effective as one would believe for a paid AV program, & extremely difficult to get rid of if you want to stop using it. There was a post on this forum about a month or so ago about this very subject.

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #8  
dbdartman said:
Yep. 5 years of using Firefox as my browser, along with the free Zone Alarm firewall, AVG free & running Ad-Aware every night & I haven't had one problem, let alone a pop-up.

From what I hear, Norton is a real resource hog, not as effective as one would believe for a paid AV program, & extremely difficult to get rid of if you want to stop using it. There was a post on this forum about a month or so ago about this very subject.

I tend to agree, Norton (symantec) is quite resource intensive and I've been using it for almost a decade. But with subscription fees rising every year (it was $5, then $15, then $19, now $39) multiplied by my 7 computers, it adds up. Next time my subscription comes up for renewal, I will be dropping Norton for many reasons. Free spy/virus protection services are easier to find nowadays (even AOL has it free).

As far as firefox is concerned, I have downloaded the latest version recently and while it is an excellent browser, my observations are that they do implement add-ons that I don't care for and don't display all webpages correctly. This is not entirely Mozillas fault as something like 90% of browsers use IE. Consequently, a good amount of web programmers generate webpages geared towards IE compatability only and either don't bother to, can't, or won't test compatability with alternate browsers prior to publishing the site.

/ PoP Up Ad Blocker?? #9  
I use Mozilla Firefox when I need to increase font size (old eyes :D)
Bob