Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60
  1. #21
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad
    411 # and 162 HP!!! YIKES! That's scary... I thought my '77 RD400 at 390# ~60 HP was scary. I couldn't imagine another 100HP on it... I could turn mid 11's somewhere over red line in 6th. Your bike would be doing the 1/4 in about, what, 2nd or 3rd gear?
    Sportrider magazine (thier online version is Sport Bikes, Motorcycle Accessories, Sportbikes, & Sport Bike Reviews - Sport Rider Magazine) (then tech) (then performance numbers) has the quarter mile listed as 9.78 seconds. I read the original (magazine) article when they did the run(s). They said they had such a hard time launching the bike they had to strap the front end to keep it down. Having put almost 6k miles on my bike before selling it, I can attest to that fact. With a slight flick of the wrist, it would become a unicycle in a heartbeat. I would have never been able to attain that kind of quarter mile speed on it. But, they are "pro's", or at least have more riding skills than me. Another thing to note is this: Their test bike was completely stock! Those numbers and weights are right off the showroom floor with no mods. Scary isn't it. For 11k, you can buy something that not too much will beat...either quarter mile or down the road...unless brought in on a trailer or some exotic.

    I did get "schooled" one night by a guy on a Ford GT...not Mustang GT, the exotic GT. It was a beast. He beat me 3 times in roll ons. We'd start out at 70 and go...each time, when I reached top speed (mid 180's), he'd come by me. That car will do 205mph off the showroom floor...and only cost a measley 150k. He was heavily modded (as was my bike)...he was running dual turbochargers. He was somewhere over 1000hp to the wheels. He carried around the dyno run results in the car. I wasn't embarrassed though...it's not everyday you get to run something that costs that much.

    I miss the bike, but didn't want my wife to be a widow and didn't want to go to jail. At 40, that dog just doesn't hunt for me anymore. Thus, the cruiser

    Here is the video from inside Joe's Ford GT of the night back last April when he raced my buddy Harvey on his R-1 Yamaha. This WASN'T me, but he did me the same way!!!! I was at this race though, and was about a mile down from where they started the roll-on. When they went by me, Joe's GT was pulling hard on Harvey, then in a matter of a second or so, he passed him. It was unbelievable! For those unfamiliar with a Ford GT, google it. Impressive American machinery.

    Go here: R1 vs. Ford GT
    R1 vs. Ford GT - Google Video
    Last edited by Podunkadunk; 01-19-2007 at 09:02 AM.

  2. #22
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Tractor
    NH TC34DA

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    This is the Seinfeld of threads. I love it yada yada yada...

  3. #23
    Epic Contributor MossRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    29,806
    Location
    South Bend, Indiana (near)
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Podunkadunk
    Sportrider magazine (thier online version is Sport Bikes, Motorcycle Accessories, Sportbikes, & Sport Bike Reviews - Sport Rider Magazine) (then tech) (then performance numbers) has the quarter mile listed as 9.78 seconds. I read the original (magazine) article when they did the run(s). They said they had such a hard time launching the bike they had to strap the front end to keep it down. Having put almost 6k miles on my bike before selling it, I can attest to that fact. With a slight flick of the wrist, it would become a unicycle in a heartbeat. I would have never been able to attain that kind of quarter mile speed on it. But, they are "pro's", or at least have more riding skills than me. Another thing to note is this: Their test bike was completely stock! Those numbers and weights are right off the showroom floor with no mods. Scary isn't it. For 11k, you can buy something that not too much will beat...either quarter mile or down the road...unless brought in on a trailer or some exotic.

    I did get "schooled" one night by a guy on a Ford GT...not Mustang GT, the exotic GT. It was a beast. He beat me 3 times in roll ons. We'd start out at 70 and go...each time, when I reached top speed (mid 180's), he'd come by me. That car will do 205mph off the showroom floor...and only cost a measley 150k. He was heavily modded (as was my bike)...he was running dual turbochargers. He was somewhere over 1000hp to the wheels. He carried around the dyno run results in the car. I wasn't embarrassed though...it's not everyday you get to run something that costs that much.

    I miss the bike, but didn't want my wife to be a widow and didn't want to go to jail. At 40, that dog just doesn't hunt for me anymore. Thus, the cruiser
    Heck, I picked up my RD400 for six hundred bucks. Then, let's see... there were expansion chambers, $400. Bigger carbs and air cleaners, $400. Cylinder and piston work, $500. Lightened reed valves, $250. Gummy tire, $125. I had probably close to $2000 in a $600 bike. Oh, yeah, the best thing to lower my times for the $$... wheelie bars, $100. Those gave me the confidance to LAUNCH instead of start. No fear of the front end coming up at all. I highly recommend them for weekend racers. With the conventional shock absorber bikes, all you had to do was remove the shocks and put a solid strut in their place. Then the wheelie bars just bolt to the struts. Really just took 4 nuts to put them on or off. I've never looked closely at bikes with mono shocks, so I don't know how they'd go about it.

    I used to put a larger front sprocket on it for street use and a smaller one for the strip. It would cut my top speed at red line in sixth from 110 down to 99. Sometimes I'd leave the smaller one on on the street. Remember when the VMax came out? I pulled up at a light next to a couple of those guys and rev it a little. They'd look over and chuckle at my little 400. The light would change and I'd dust them for a block because they didn't think they had to give it everything to take a 400. Of course, I'd shut down instantly and then refuse to run them again just to make them feel bad.

    Sprockets and gearing are intersting things. With the factory sprocket I could run 110 on the highway at redline in 5th gear. 6th gear I would actually slow down and couldn't get the rpms to stay up. I could barely turn 14s and rarely get just into 5th in a quarter and run mid 90s.

    I took two teeth off the front sprocket and I could easliy exceed red line in 6th and turn 11:80's at about 108 or 109.

    With a bike like yours, I wonder what you could get a stock bike down to in the quarter if you started changing the sprockets and added wheelie bars? It would be fun to try.

    Oh, yeah, I gave up the bike riding when we had children. I was hit twice by cars on my bike and escaped injury. That was enough. I still have the bike (in little pieces) and some day I'd like to restore it and do bracket racing again. It really is fun.
    MossRoad

    Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!


  4. #24
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    I edited post number 21. I added the video of my buddy Harvey racing Joe on his Ford GT. Pretty good video even though it's at night and in the car.

  5. #25
    Gold Member Dallas_Lilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    321
    Location
    Flagstaff AZ
    Tractor
    Montana 3040

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Podunkadunk
    I notice you are from Flagstaff. Beautiful country there! I stopped in there one time while on my way to the Grand Ravine in the ground. My previous stop was Winslow...the meteor creater. Man, that was cool. My wife hated it and didn't see why I wanted to spend all day at a hole in the ground
    Yeah it is really nice here in northern Arizona. Meteor crater is really cool. It is amazing though how little I seem to visit places like that even though they are in my back yard. I did take my wife the the Grand Canyon this year for her B-day and went for a helicopter ride- now that was fun.
    Montana 3040

  6. #26
    Elite Member czechsonofagun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,350
    Location
    Old Dominion
    Tractor
    Kubota B1750

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Podunkadunk
    Felt like I was "hijacking" another TBN member's thread, so I thought I'd start one about nothing, that way I won't be stepping on anyone's toes.

    I was talking to Soundguy about my garage being so clean. Since the wifey is always on my arse about not doing this and not doing that, I stay out in the garage, making noise, running power tools etc. At least she thinks I'm busy doing something constructive.

    Any thoughts?
    There was this trick I saw in military - in the shop you get under a truck and hang your hands somewhere around the engine. For anybody walking by, you are working and you can catch a snooze or two
    Regards,

    Prokop


    I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

  7. #27
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Lilly
    Yeah it is really nice here in northern Arizona. Meteor crater is really cool. It is amazing though how little I seem to visit places like that even though they are in my back yard. I did take my wife the the Grand Canyon this year for her B-day and went for a helicopter ride- now that was fun.
    Awesome! It's amazing that the meteor crater (600ft deep x 1/2 mile across) was left by a rock only 100ft in diameter! I can't remember how fast those guys said it was travelling, but it was enough to cause nuclear fission upon hitting! Beautiful country - Flagstaff. I have an aunt and uncle in Silver City, NM...I want to get out and visit and go back to AZ.

  8. #28
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by czechsonofagun
    There was this trick I saw in military - in the shop you get under a truck and hang your hands somewhere around the engine. For anybody walking by, you are working and you can catch a snooze or two
    We called that "skating".

  9. #29
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    8,259
    Location
    Shingle Springs California
    Tractor
    New Holland TC40D

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by Podunkadunk
    Sportrider magazine (thier online version is Sport Bikes, Motorcycle Accessories, Sportbikes, & Sport Bike Reviews - Sport Rider Magazine) (then tech) (then performance numbers) has the quarter mile listed as 9.78 seconds. I read the original (magazine) article when they did the run(s). They said they had such a hard time launching the bike they had to strap the front end to keep it down. But, they are "pro's", or at least have more riding skills than me. Another thing to note is this: Their test bike was completely stock!
    About 15-20 years ago, one of the sport bike magazines talked about how they got the best possible time from a bike. The first thing did was to mimic horse racing. Thier "jockey" was a gentlemean who was short, and very thin. I remember the article stating he wieghed only about 110lbs. Same as a horse race; less weight=faster. This guy was only like 5' or 5-2. He was a good rider too; fast with the clutch/shift/hookup and go go go.

    When they tested bikes, they basically made them unstreetable. They loosend the rear sping, sometimes to the pooint where it was completely loose, so the back end squatted. Sometimes they even lowered the forks in the triple trees. They did other stuff I do not remember. Basically, they did this, trailered to the drag strip, then brought it back to the shop to readjust everything.

    As a speed demon, you might enjoy what I found at a Borders book store. I got the first 12 episodes of Speed Racer on DVD
    RobertN in Shingle Springs Calif

  10. #30
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,182

    Default Re: The thread about absolutely nothing...

    Quote Originally Posted by RobertN
    About 15-20 years ago, one of the sport bike magazines talked about how they got the best possible time from a bike. The first thing did was to mimic horse racing. Thier "jockey" was a gentlemean who was short, and very thin. I remember the article stating he wieghed only about 110lbs. Same as a horse race; less weight=faster. This guy was only like 5' or 5-2. He was a good rider too; fast with the clutch/shift/hookup and go go go.

    When they tested bikes, they basically made them unstreetable. They loosend the rear sping, sometimes to the pooint where it was completely loose, so the back end squatted. Sometimes they even lowered the forks in the triple trees. They did other stuff I do not remember. Basically, they did this, trailered to the drag strip, then brought it back to the shop to readjust everything.

    As a speed demon, you might enjoy what I found at a Borders book store. I got the first 12 episodes of Speed Racer on DVD
    Go to post #21 and click on the google link I posted and watch that video. It's pretty cool.

    There is another crazy person out there called Ghostrider. He lives in Sweden I think...maybe Holland. He makes high speed video's and posts them to the internet. You can also buy much clearer videos he makes. Do a google search for "Ghostrider video". He's a frickin' fruitcake!!!!

    As for the bike testing, I'm not sure who they use to test the bikes, but I do know they have no "loyalty" to any brand. They don't care what the numbers come out to be, they just post'em. With the modern day advances in sportbikes there are so many things you can do to inch up hp and you don't even have to go inside the engine. Being computer controlled, fuel injected the options are limitless if you have the $$$. I had about 2500.00 in extras on my bike. Aftermarket Akrapovic exhaust, Timing Retard Eliminator, PC-III USB for tuning the fuel curve, replaced a lot of platic and aluminum with carbon fiber, BMC Race air filter (nothing more than a screen and a piece of dryer sheet, basically). Lots of other add ons, but they were mostly cosmetic.

    A lot of guys dropped teeth or added/subtracted teeth in the rear to make it have more torque or to add top end speed at the expense of losing low end power... it's endless.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.