Where to buy bulk lawn care product

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #1  

nh_bota

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I'm wondering where folks purchase Scotts turfbuilder (or similar) products. I have 2.5 acres of lawn and it seems like the 15K sq ft bags are not the most cost effective way to buy this type of product. Any recommendations? I live in NH. Thanks.

Terry

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #2  
You might try John Deere Landscape. They are a national chain, linked to John Deere. Our local shop carries stuff like that. They are more commercial than retail, but are open to retail customers.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product
Thanks! There's a location very close to me... I'll go check them out.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #4  
You're kind of below the minimums for deliveries, but you should be able to pick it up yourself. Here they want 4 acre minimum to deliver and spread fertalizer for you. If you have less or want to pick it up, you just drive to the plant and they load you up. I've filled up the back of my pickuptruck with a ton at a time. Then I shovel it into my spreader and spread it myself.

I didn't fertalize last year, but the year before I think it was around $50 for a ton. I also don't remember whan the rating was, but it's what they use for hay fields here.

Eddie

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #5  
lesco is where the pros (lawn care, golf course, athletics) buy around here (Haverhill, MA). Ask them to set you up with an account, you will get a discount based on how much you buy - fert, lime, seed, etc.

They have locations in Manchester & Hampton (Depending on where you live in Southern NH).

I've found that I pay less than the box stores, get the best quality & also have someone knowledgeable to ask questions.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #6  
Lesco or Co-Op in our area.

The best prices for us though are a very small farm store that we work with.

I think that is one of those things you really have to just ask around locally about, and do not assume that the big box is cheaper (much less better) then the local mom and pop stores.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #7  
I'm not sure there is any magic in the name brand consumer market. Any farm activity near you? Where do the farmers buy their fert.?

I'm fortunate that all I have to do is go down to the local fert/feed store in town. Many selections on mix and strength of fert. Can buy a 80# bag for same price as a 20# bag of name brand consumer product. Can buy by the bag or bulk.

Most are not so fortunate but looking for source that the farmers use is the way to go if such a source is available in your area.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #8  
Fertilizer is fertilizer. before the plant can use it, it has to be broken down to its raw chemical components. The numbers on the bag let you know the % of that nutrient in the bag. 20 14 3 would be 20% nitrogen, 14% phosperous, and 3% potash. The only difference between the high$$$ bags and the non branded may be in the level of micro-nutrients. The claim of organic fertilizer is that it feeds the soil, well you can do that a lot less expensively by using compost or growing cover crops and plowing them under.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #9  
I don't use the high dollar fertilizer on my lawn. I just buy regular 10-10-10 farm fertilizer and give it a treatment in the early spring. It's a whole lot cheaper than name brand "lawn" fertilizers and works just as well. Best of all you can get it in much larger quantities.

/ Where to buy bulk lawn care product #10  
DieselPower said:
I don't use the high dollar fertilizer on my lawn. I just buy regular 10-10-10 farm fertilizer and give it a treatment in the early spring. It's a whole lot cheaper than name brand "lawn" fertilizers and works just as well. Best of all you can get it in much larger quantities.

If you are only feeding the lawn once per year, the best time is in the fall to promote root growth yeilding a more drought resistant "crop" come July...

Some info here Cornell Lawn Care