Economic fallout ....

/ Economic fallout .... #1  

TerryinMD

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 4100 HST
Our corporation postponed it's annual benefit enrollment last fall. The reason given was that there were significant cost increases and the company was trying to come up with the best plan for their employees.

We'll here is what they have done:

POS Medical plan - increased by 42%
Dental plan - increased by 146%
Vision plan - increased by 38%

Some more of the benefit package:
removal of free long distance benefit - $25 a month
suspension of stock option plan
no merit increases.

The terrible part about the last three mentioned was that the employees heard about it on the internet and news before the company send out employee notices. Talk about a slap in the face. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif/w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

I have heard of other companies postponing the annual enrollment period and that insurance costs have gone up.

Are other TBNers having the same thing happening to them?

Terry

/ Economic fallout .... #2  
I've always worked in the private sector and have never had Dental or Vision coverage (not offered; generally too expensive).

I do get basic health coverage, which went up about 25% this year (2002).

Other than health, just get a basic paycheck; no other fringe benefits, so I guess nothing to take away.

/ Economic fallout .... #3  
Terry,
It's the same here. Everyone's insurance went up this year. Co-pays, deductibles, and patients out of pocket for coverage went way up. Typical visit now is a $30 co-pay from the big companies.

/ Economic fallout ....
cowboydoc,

Wow, I haven't gotten that far to see the particulars for the plan. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Well guys, we've been on a roll for about ten years economically. Ill winds have been blowing for a year or so and Sept 11 may have been straw that broke the camels back and now the economy is beginning to feel the crunch. /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Terry

/ Economic fallout .... #5  
Granted healthcare is expensive but there are just too many greedy hands on both sides of the fence in healthcare. The insurance company raises rates and then cuts the docs and hospitals so docs and hospitals raise rates so when they are cut 30% next year it won't be as bad. I'm right in the middle of it and I tell you it is one big mess. What would help alot is if we got rid of malpractice though and the lawsuits. That is a big reason in itself, not the answer by any means but it leads to alot of care that wouldn't have to be done but is just to cover your butt.

/ Economic fallout .... #6  
Richard,

Aren't we back to that "greed" we were discussing the other day?! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif If only people realized the ripple effect of their greed!!! Sad.

Kevin

/ Economic fallout .... #7  
You are so right. It seems that very few realize the ripple effect of any of their actions. It is easy to bad mouth lawyers, but greedy people and stupid juries are all part of the problem.

/ Economic fallout .... #8  
The national healthcare premiums increased by roughly 10% in 2001 and 2002 is expected to be around 12+%. This in addition to similiar, yet slightly lower, increases the previous years. When the labor market was tight and economic times were great many employers were just "eating" the cost and adding it to overhead and employees were not necessarily seeing how much employers were paying. Now that the labor market is softening (unemployment) employers are finding that they don't have to absorb these costs to retain employees.

The largest factor contributing to healthcare premium increases is Rx benefits. Rx usage/costs are growing dramatically, more than 40% a year!! Look at the P&L statements of insurance companies, for the most part they are struggling and trying to find fat to trim. Look at pharmaceutical companies P&L statements, hmmm...

Of course there is a vicous cycle going on with health insurance, we (employees) pay more, we expect more, use the services more, providers (docs and hospitals) demand more due to increased usage and technology costs (big guys are at an advantage here), insurance companies feel the pinch and raise rates, we pay more and then expect more....

Of course then the consolidation of hospital systems has not always been a benefit. Yes, they can gain some operational efficiencies but they can gain more corporate overhead and gain more negotiation leverage for increases from insurance carriers.

Of course nobody probably wants to read this so I'll just shutu /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

/ Economic fallout ....
Dverbarg,

No, no, no..... you're adding to the discussion. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

One of reasons I posted my information was to get some responses and see what everyone had to say. I realize that there are many factors involved and, to be honest, I wouldn't want to make the benefit decisions or be the one to report this kind of bad news. I knew it was going to be bad. My issue was the way it was handled.

Keep the information coming - the more perspectives the better.

Terry

/ Economic fallout .... #10  
your right but dosent the judge have the final word