Loading logs

/ Loading logs #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
I have few nice maple logs on the ground I would like to get to the sawmill. About 15" diameter, 12 feet long. My trailer would handle the load, my problem is how to get it up.
I dont have a front loader, the tractor is only 20hp Kubota, I dont think the 3pt would be up to it.

My plan as of now is to build simple gantry and hang a hoist from it, lift one end of the log, backup the trailer under and lower the log.

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks

Prokop

/ Loading logs #2  
Can you put a floor jack under the log about 4' in from the end? You would have to dig out an area to slip the jack underneath and put a 2x8 scrap under it for stability. If you could jack the log up 10" at that point, the end would raise 15" Would that be enough to slide it onto the trailer you have?

I think you are underestimating your tractor. Attach the 3pt approx 4' from the end like the above suggestion. All you need to do is lift the log straight up 10-15" off the ground at that point to get 15-20" elevation at the log end. You then back the trailer under the high end. You are not lifting the entire log's weight. Most of the weight is still dead weight resting on the ground. With the tractor at a 90 degree angle to the log 4' in from the end, you can still get the trailer close enough to load the end.

Nothing to build. All you need is some chain.

/ Loading logs #3  
If your trailer is flat (no rails), load from the side. Lay two or three 2x6 or such against the trailer, roll the log to the bottom of the boards, while getting a sturdy rope or chain around it. Hook to your tractor on the other side of the trailer and slide/pull them up the 2x6s...nail a 4x4 or such to the trailer floor to keep them from rolling across and off the other side.

/ Loading logs #5  
I have a Kubota L175 ( about 17 horse ) and have used the boom pole with pretty good luck. You may need to lift just one end of the log and swing it on to the trailer, then do the other. I've moved some logs that way when the tractor would not lift the whole thing. Also, you may need to hook the chain part way up the boom pole- less leverage,but you won't left the front end of the tractor, and you can left more weight that way. good luck, and watch your hands!
In my pre tractor days I would make a ramp up to the side of my trailer with 4x4's and roll them up. A come-along may work, but sometimes the trailer would move instead of the log! Cant hook and muscle seemed the best. Gotta watch the log doesn't roll back on you.

/ Loading logs
LMTC the trailer is a box, end gates are hinged on the bottom, I have to slide it in from the back.

Goaliedad thanks for the shared experience. If I take baby steps I am sure I will get it done.

Attachments

• DSCN2687.jpg
    DSCN2687.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 267
   / Loading logs #8  
LMTC said:
If your trailer is flat (no rails), load from the side. Lay two or three 2x6 or such against the trailer, roll the log to the bottom of the boards, while getting a sturdy rope or chain around it. Hook to your tractor on the other side of the trailer and slide/pull them up the 2x6s...nail a 4x4 or such to the trailer floor to keep them from rolling across and off the other side.

Works great especially if you fasten one end of the chain to the trailer, run it under and then back over the log to the other side of the trailer. When you pull, it rolls the log up the ramp. That was one of the techniques used back in the pioneer days.

Harry K

/ Loading logs #9  
Set your vehicles up like this. Use tractor to pull log up onto round fence post, then pipe, then barrel. It should roll right up into trailer. Might put pipe in bed of trailer to allow to roll easily to front.

Attachments

• Old technology.pdf
    16.2 KB · Views: 264
   / Loading logs
BTDT said:
Set your vehicles up like this. Use tractor to pull log up onto round fence post, then pipe, then barrel. It should roll right up into trailer. Might put pipe in bed of trailer to allow to roll easily to front.

Interesting, thanks. I will definitely give it a try - as soon as the log unfreezes from the ground.

I had also this vision of 2" hitch in the front bumper, hook up the trailer to it and get an off road winch on the front bumper. Similar setup exists for flat bed tow trucks.