Anyone for Smoked Meats?

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
I've barbecued lots of briskets by first cooking them in the oven, and then on the gas grill with mesquite chips in a smoker box. They're good, we like them, but they just don't get "smoked" enough; at least not like I used to smoke briskets, fish, even oysters on a Cookin' Cajun charcoal smoker years ago. I've read where some purists say you simply cannot properly smoke barbecue with gas or electric; must use wood. Well, our next door neighbors have fixed pulled pork and pork ribs on a gas smoker that I think just can't be beat.

So I decided to buy a gas smoker. Homedepot.com has the one I wanted for $189 and since I have a Home Depot gift card, I decided to order it. That is, until I found out that they want $59.23 shipping and handling added onto that, and they say it is not and will not be available in the stores so that's the only way you can get it from them. So I checked walmart.com and they have the identical smoker for $128.88 and their shipping and handling charge is $19.97. Now I don't mind paying a little more for a product, but that big a difference for the identical product is just a little too steep to suit me, so Walmart shipped mine today; should be here sometime next week.:D

Now I've smoked briskets, fish, oysters, chicken, and rabbits, but there are some things I haven't tried. I think pork loins should be good, but wonder who has a good recipe for a barbecue rub to use on them. My wife and I have, a couple of times, bought 3 pound boneless turkey "roasts" and it seems to me that they should be good smoked, but I don't know what seasonings or recipe would be best.

Any suggestions or recipes?

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #2  
Anyone for Smoked Meats?

Sure, where you want me to email my shipping address to. :D

Be sure to let us know how it works. I have been thinking about getting one and would be interested in how yours works.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #3  
Bird you got to many questions at once for my feable mind. But i do it just backward of the way you are doing things. I put my brisket/ribs/chicken on the grill first to sear it and to blacken the outside. Then I put it in the oven /smoker and cook it till it falls apart. Thats the way I like it. For whatever thats worth. I have a very simple mixture that I put on lots of things and have never served it to any one who did not like it. Soak the meat (any kind) in a mixture of Mc Cormack grill Mates montreal steak seasoning, Kikkoman terikaki marinade, and a little balsmic vinigar. If you want it to be sweeter add a little syrup of your choice. I do rib eye steaks this way all the time just great.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats?
DieselPower, the grill I have ordered can be seen here. The next door neighbor got the smaller version of the same thing (it's also shown on the same page) a year ago last Christmas and he was new to using a smoker. I decided to get the "wide body" that would hold larger briskets whole.

Thanks, Jim, and I'm sure I won't need the syrup. I've eaten barbecue that was sweetened with syrup; it's definitely not for me.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #5  
I hope you enjoy it; it's the same smoker that you told me in another thread was built too flimsy to suit you.

You're right, Glenn.:rolleyes: I thought it looked a bit flimsy, but after seeing what the heavier ones cost, and what the neighbor has done with his, well . . . . I'm gonna give it a try.

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #7  
Bird, be careful ,smoking meats can be become almost as addictive as tractoring.
The best place for free recipes and advice is
The Smoke Ring- All you need to know about barbecue
I have spent many hours there

I own about 20 barbeque cookbooks, some bought, most of them gifts.
I only use one, "Smoke and Spice" by Bill Jamison. The recipes are easy to follow and the results are great. I BBQ mostly chicken parts and baby ribs because it easy to get good at something you do a lot. I use a dry rub and baste once an hour with a mix of dry rub and beer. Last spring smoked twenty racks of ribs and seventy pieces of chicken in two sessions for my daughters high school graduation party.

My BBQ came from Texas. I attached a picture. My father bought it had it shipped back east. He never really figured out how to use it. I inherited it about 5 years ago. I did a lot of reading on the smokering and burnt a few things before I got the hang of it. The secret to good BBQ is low and slow. I cook most food between 210 and 220 degrees. Chicken takes about 3 hours and ribs 5-6 hours. A gas smoker should work great. The hardest part of smoking is controlling the heat. Good luck, when they start lining up to take the leftovers home , you know you got it right.

John

Attachments

• smoker (Medium).gif
    smoker (Medium).gif
    43.5 KB · Views: 147
for my daughters high school graduation party

That's interesting, John, because I have both a daughter who expects to graduate from college with her bachelor's degree, and her son who expects to graduate from high school within a few days of each other in May, and I already know I'm expected to cook for a big party.:D

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #9  
Bird,

I've used a Coleman gas smoker for the last 20 years. I really like the ease of not having to feed the fire while having the ability to maintain a constant temperature.

I like to cook a lot of different things. Some of my favorites are Cornish game hens, shark, tuna, and sausages (especially fresh kielbasa).

Try using a variety of woods. I like to use fruit woods like cherry, apple, grape vine and peach wood for poultry or fowl. They produce a sweet smoke. Mesquite, oak, and osage orange are great for pork and beef. Add wood more often for a deeper smoke flavor, being sure to soak it well (1/2 hour +) before adding it to the smoker.

You can also add items to your water pan like onions and celery for added flavor. Sometimes I'll add a little wine to the pan too. Keeping water/moisture in the pan will ensure moist meat.

This is making me hungry!!:)

Greg

/ Anyone for Smoked Meats? #10  
Bird, I get to to do it again this year. My son is graduating from high school in June. We are having a double party for him , graduation and going away. He has recieved an appointment to the United States Coast Guard Academy in New London CT. He has to report for basic training July 2, 2007. He loves the water and engineering , so it should be a good fit for him. They pay him to go to college, he gives them 5 years. Saved me from the poor houe . Two kids in college for 3 years was going to be rough. I cooked everything up last year the day before the party. Good thing, we had over two inches of rain and had to postpone party under the tent for a day. Just refrigerated everything and heated up two days later. Worked out great. It is too hard to cook everything the day of the party. Good luck with yours.

John