Foster kids

/ Foster kids #1  

Bob_Trevithick

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4300 MFWD
Just thought I would share this with my newfound family here on TBN.

I'm about to turn 50, and my wife is 46. We decided to go into foster care, and today we spent the day with a couple of wonderful kids that social services wants us to take in. They were a joy! A 9 year old girl, and her 10 year old brother. They are really nice kids, like each other, treat each other well, and were so immensely grateful for anything we did for them. Just letting them use the paint program on our computers thrilled them for hours.

My wife, Viviane, and I are both thrilled. These kids will probably be up for adoption before long, and we will get first dibs on them if all goes well and the kids want this also. Seems that I'm a daddy! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

While they are still in foster care status, they are not allowed to operate any type of motor vehicle, but after adoption... those rules are of course dropped. At that point, if it happens, I will probably need some advice on the best way to ease a kid into use of a tractor. John's safety threads here will of course be the first place to start, and I recall one or more about just this subject. It's too early to think about this now, but I'll certainly be boning up on the subject.

Just wanted to share our excitement with you good folks. These are nice kids, and it will be great if we are able to give them the break they need.

Bob

/ Foster kids #2  
Both of my boys have a fair number of hours of seat time under their belts. I have an HST, leave the tractor in Low and keep the rpm's low, (walking speed). They love to drive when I'm picking up rocks, grading the drive or just moving the garbage cans down to the road. They've been driving since they were 6 and 7, but always supervised and no serious 3pt attachments, just the FEL, rake and box scraper.

/ Foster kids #3  
BOB: what a wonderful thing for u and your wife and the children. my wife and i hope eveything works out for u all.
Frank

/ Foster kids #4  
Bob&Viviane,

Good for you folks, thats quite a step. World needs more like you/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
I'd start with fishen and ball games and work up to tractor/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif
Al

/ Foster kids #5  
Bob - you and Viviane are doing a great thing by becoming part of the fostering system - I wish you all the very best with the kids.

Just having the kids involved in putting in a garden and then watching it grow may well be a great introduction to the world of tractors. I have worked around many foster kids in years past (summer camp / retreat counselor) and with all the troubled backgrounds - and frequent changes of foster homes - this may be the first time they have ever been able to watch the whole process and enjoy the results.

You really learn to appreciate the simple routines of life when you work with kids from hard backgrounds and see life through their eyes - even the ones with the tough act.

All the very best,

Patrick

/ Foster kids #6  
Bob, We have two children we adopted from foster care, a boy who was almost 8 (now 10) and a 4 month old baby (now almost 2). My wife is 49 and I'll be 50 next week. They are great kids and they make 5 for us, three are biological. Both the adopted ones are kids from drug families and the older one is ADHD. It keeps life interesting. We currently have a 7 year old foster daughter in the mix. When we adopted the baby he became an uncle, his nephew is 5 months younger than he is. The grandson and the son are alot of fun together.

You need to be careful, this foster care thing leads to lots of children coming into the home and it's hard to let them go.

Congratulations on the new kids, hope things go smoothly for you.

Kevin

/ Foster kids #7  
Bob,
What you and your wife planing todo is grand!!
After reading your threads I don't think you have too much to worry about when it comes to children and equipment.
May all go well for you and your wife.

/ Foster kids #9  
Bob,

Good for you!! What you have chosen to do is a wonderful thing. I know of a couple of families who have done exactly what you have done. They do not regret it and I bet you won't either. /w3tcompact/icons/king.gif for you. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As far as getting kids onto tractors or into/onto other motor vehicles, it is totally dependent on the child. My oldest girl has not real desire to drive the tractor. Now, the youngest girl enjoys mowing and driving the tractor. In fact, just yesterday she wanted to learn how to clear snow off of the driveway. I'm just learning myself, so I just nicely said, "Another time....". Rather not have her mess something up because I instructed her wrong.

This spring and summer, I'll begin to teach them how to use ALL of the implements. That way, I can have them assist my wife when I'm at work and we can get things done for the Market garden. It will also give them a little more responsibility. Working the tractor and implements is not hard, just takes a little more concentration and responsibility.

Terry

/ Foster kids
Hi Terry, and All,

Thanks for the kind words. It feels like the time in my life when I should give something back. I've been blessed.. and these kids ask for and need so little. Just some attention and nurturing. They are both funny and bright and friendly. The girl is kind of tall for her age, so she's experienced some teasing in school. This would be tolerable for an average kid, but for one who has no home she can count on, it must be rough. She will probably be fashion model material in a few years.. little do her classmates know! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif And the boy might be the next Mel Gibson! Who knows.. God works in mysterious ways.. maybe they'll be supporting us in our old age. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif In the meantime, we just want to give them a stable home, and a boost in self-confidence and self-concept. They kind of shyly asked us last night if it would be okay if they called us mommy and daddy. They really need some love.

The tractor stuff will come when it comes. When I had my little GT235, I used to let the young daughter of one of our friends sit on my lap and drive it. It was one of the highlights of her life, judging from how she reacted. The JD 4300 is another beast altogether. I think I'll start by letting them just kind of watch, and help with pulling weeds and picking up small stones. We'll see how it goes from there. They may be afraid of the thing.. our cats certainly are! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Onward to new adventures!