SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower

Default Court Decision Could Require Boat Pollution Permits

In a decision last September by the US District Court for Northern California, (California Again) in Northwest Environmental Advocates vs. US Environmental Protection Agency the court sided with Environmental Advocates and instructed the EPA to develop a compliance plan for all vessels, including millions of recreational boats by Sept 2008.

This could mean no matter whether you operate a tanker in the Great Lakes, a Bass boat in Tennessee or a Sailboat in Oregon, you may be required to apply for and for a EPA permit to operate your boat.

Some areas of concern are vessel Grey Water and Automatic Bilge Pumps.

Another example of "Creeping" regulation.

Tractor
    JD 3020, JD 4230, JD 7410, JD 2440, MF 750, NH LS170

Default Re: Court Decision Could Require Boat Pollution Permits

Sounds like a good idea to me. Recreational vehicles should have stiffer EPA requirements than motor vehicles. They serve no purpose but to entertain so they should have the strictest requirements.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4700

And what is the permit supposed to prevent? Pumping poop into the water? CO2 in the air?

Later,
    Dan

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    MF 1455v 4wd, 1040FEL

I believe that most recreational boaters are concerned and take positive action to protect their environment without added regulations. One of the stupid regulations implemented in the past few years (in MS coastal areas at least) requires a trash container that is clearly labeled as such in each boat, so if you are in habit of collecting your refuse rather than throwing it out you must now clearly label your container or face a penalty...
    Stupid useless laws and regulations only serve as fund-raisers. The people who are going to dump waste oil overboard aren't going to be impeded by a permit. I'm one that is sick and tired of this over-reaching.
    Massey Ferguson 1455v 4wd, FEL

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

I agree there should be tougher standards for recreational vehicles.
    15 years ago I was shocked when I saw the coast guard regulations on marine debris. Here are the most recent rules. I think they are tougher than they used to be.
    Marine Debris
    No garbage in the great lakes. No dumping plastics. Everything else is ok if you are far enough off shore.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670

Quote Originally Posted by DieselPower
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Recreational vehicles should have stiffer EPA requirements than motor vehicles. They serve no purpose but to entertain so they should have the strictest requirements.
    How about:

"Sounds like a good idea to me. Assault rifles should have stiffer Government requirements than hunting rifles. They serve no purpose but to entertain so they should have the strictest requirements."

Just messing with you to make my point. The EPA and Kalifornia is why you can't buy a 19' bass boat with a 150 for less than $30k any more. The motor itself is pushing $15k. Where will it stop? When everyone has to row?

Just another venue of unfully tapped tax income for the people we elect to run and manage our goverment and regulate our lives. Keep electing them and see where it goes from here. 2 stroke engines are definetly on the way out due to their emmissions. Hence, very expensive 150hp bass boat engines. It's how fast you get to the fish, not how good a fisherman you are?