What is This HUGE Grub???

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
I was digging around the roots of an oak tree in my granite soil. This is in Central California in the foothills of the Sequoia's. Got down about 3 feet and noticed this grub crawling around the bottom. It is HUGE! It's about as big around as my finger and as long as a mousetrap.
Any ideas?

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #2  
Grubzilla?

I sure don't want to see what it becomes. Imagine a 5" flying or crawling stinging/biting thing.

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #3  
3RRL said:
I was digging around the roots of an oak tree in my granite soil. This is in Central California in the foothills of the Sequoia's. Got down about 3 feet and noticed this grub crawling around the bottom. It is HUGE! It's about as big around as my finger and as long as a mousetrap.
Any ideas?

Well are you going to donate it to science or ?

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #6  
3RRL said:
Any ideas?

Never seen one that long but looks just like what we always called a grub worm :D As a kid I used to dig for red worms for fishing. You'd almost always get a big ole juicy grub worm. It was a treat for fishing.

Anyway, I don't know. Just remembering back when....

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #7  
Looks tastey serve it up with some fava beans and a nice Chianti -Yum!

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #8  
Oh, yeh, haven't seen one for 10 years or so. A baby, huh? Makes a bit of a splash when a chain hits one in an ancient log. You could run romex thru the hole they make.

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #9  
Aren't you close to where the first Tremor's movie took place. :D

James

/ What is This HUGE Grub??? #10  
ducati996 said:
Looks tastey serve it up with some fava beans and a nice Chianti -Yum!

Ducati996:

I would think a Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon of recent vintage would go just as well. If one was low on grub and high on beans I would go with a good Pinot Grigio and/or a Washington State Chardonney or Fume Blanc :D. Jay