Backing Up

/ Backing Up #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
I've been backing my PC up for as long as I've owned a PC. I started out with Fastback Plus (remember the cheetah on the front of the box? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) and backed up to floppy disks. As the hard drive capacity on my PC grew, I migrated to tapes and Backup Exec software. The final iteration, up until last night, was using <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dantz.com>Retrospect Backup</A> using 10G/20G Travan tapes. With a 30G drive in my laptop and 26G on my desktop PC, this was barely adequate.

Two weekends ago, my desktop tape drive gave up the ghost. Halfway through a backup, the software reported 'Bad tape or heads need cleaning'. I cleaned the heads and used a new tape ($35 each). Same results. Then I tried backing up my laptop to a USB Travan tape drive. It took over 12 hours. So, I began looking at buying the next step up in tape drive capacity. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif The next step up is VXA/DAT/DLT, the cheapest of which costs almost $1,000 for the drive (VXA) and $75 for the tapes. This was not a good situation. I could get a lot of tractor attachments for what I was going to have to spend on a tape solution.

Then it occurred to me, hard drives are cheap, why not back up to a hard drive? However, all the drive bays in my desktop PC are full, plus I didn't want to backup my laptop over my network (slow). What did I do? I implemented a solution that was 'born' on the Mac platform. I purchased an external Firewire (IEEE 1384) hard drive. Firewire is approximately 30 times faster than USB, in fact many people who do video editing on PCs or Macs use external Firewire drives. I still use Retrospect Backup and create an image of the hard drive on my latop. Since the drive is external, I simply disconnect from the laptop and connect it to my desktop and do another backup. No $35/$75 tapes and no tape drives.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.adstech.com>ADSTech</A> has complete kits, including the hard drive, external enclosure and Firewire card for sale.

40G - $280
80G - $360
120G - $470

If you're pushing the limits of your backup solution (you are backing up, aren't you?), you might want to look into this.

/ Backing Up #2  
And when that drive fills up you can simply pop another one in line and have two. It is a good solution.

What I usually do is put two hard drives into a PC. I keep all of my important stuff under the "My Documents" folder. Every time I add or remove software, I make a backup using Norton Ghost and store it on the other hard drive. And every night I run a batch file that backs up the "my documents" files to the other hard drive. I keep 7 days worth of backups. It throws out the last days, renames all af the folders by one day, creates a new 1st folder and puts the stuff in that. Win 98 has a scheduler that I use to run it automatically.

Here's what the batch file looks like:

::====================================================================
:: dailybu.bat V102401
:: Copyright MossRoad
:: Bat file to copy c:\my documents to d:\backups\dailybu\today and
:: keep 7 days of backups on-line.
:: Modification History
::
:: Date Author Description
:: -------- --- ----------------------------------------------
:: 022100 MR Creation of original file
:: 022300 MR Added c:\frontpage webs to the backup
:: 102401 MR Removed c:\frontpage webs after rebuild
:: of PC. Frontpage no longer used on this PC.
:: Delete and shift the directories for the 7 day retention scheme
DELTREE /y d:\backups\dailybu\today7
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today6 today7
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today5 today6
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today4 today5
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today3 today4
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today2 today3
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today1 today2
RENAME d:\backups\dailybu\today today1
MKDIR d:\backups\dailybu\today
:: Use xcopy to copy c:\my documents to d:\backups\dailybu\today
xcopy c:\mydocu~1 d:\backups\dailybu\today /s /e

Sorry the tabs don't show up.

/ Backing Up
Great idea! Thanks for the script.

/ Backing Up #4  
Why are you backing up your entire disk? Why not just backup the data and better yet, why not the data that has changed since your last backup? While its nice to backup the entire drive. Many operating system will not allow you to recover the operating system from a backup tape. With windows and its registry, even recovering applications from tape in a total disk crash is difficult.

/ Backing Up
gws, you're correct. I could be doing incrementals with Retrospect Backup, but at $3.67/gig I thought I'd splurge. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Backing Up #6  
I was considering one of <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.onstream.com/products/adr2_60ide.html>these</A>. Anyone using one?
I like to "ghost" once a month and backup data weekly on my home computer.