'69 Convertible

/ '69 Convertible #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I need a little advice from anyone familiar with antique cars. I have a 1968 Plymouth Sport Satellite convertible. I am the original owner & I used it daily till August 1993 when we moved to the country. Since that time it has been garage kept, although prior to that is was not. The engine is a 318 rebuilt installed by SW Motor Exchange around 1990. Got it painted about then too. I've attached a photo. The insides needs a lot of help/restoration. The car looks pretty good in the photo, but it's not perfect by any means. There are a couple or two+ rust bubbles.

I'm not actively trying to sell it, but I've about decided that I don't have the $$ to have it restored & I sure don't have the skill, either. To tell the truth, I'd like to recover the floor space it takes up in my shop. While buying my wife a car earlier in the week, I happened to mention the convertible & the general mgr. snapped to attention. He seemed really interested, was I interested in selling. I said yes, I might. Today I got a call from one of his employees from the service department - - he wants to come take a look.

How much to ask? I paid $3500 back in July, '68. Is it worth that much now? I know inflation has messed with the dollars quite a bit, but getting the same absolute money for it today that I paid then has a nice ring.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 68 satellite 2004 b.jpg
    68 satellite 2004 b.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 233
   / '69 Convertible #2  
In my view I'd say $3500 was too low for a one owner car. Even though it may need some interior work you should easily get 3500 for it today. Wish you were closer, I'd buy it today for a running driver car to use in summer.

/ '69 Convertible #3  
Hard telling about the price, but $3500 does seem low. Look on Autotrader.com or in Hemmings for similar cars.

/ '69 Convertible #4  
Yea that sounds a little cheep. Antique Cars are an odd deal. That is a sharp car and will be rather easy to sell. even more valuable if the economy was better. I would not quote a price and see what they offer and then tell them you have to think about it. A dealer is going to want it cheep thinking your desperate. Hard to believe a 68 is an antique now. That is a collector now, to bad you didn't rebuild the original block. there worth more when the numbers match

/ '69 Convertible #5  
Its worth more than that from the appearance in the photo. Pretty solid looking body, plus being a convertible boosts it quite a little bit. The motor replacement brings the value down though. I would pay to have it professionally appraised, you might be surprised.

/ '69 Convertible #6  
Hard telling about the price, but $3500 does seem low.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I bought one of the first (1968) Roadrunners to hit Dallas and I think I gave about $3850 for it.

/ '69 Convertible #7  
Bird said:
Sounds pretty normal to me. I bought one of the first (1968) Roadrunners to hit Dallas and I think I gave about $3850 for it.

Bird, you're having a flashback. Snap out of it; it's 2007, not 1968.

/ '69 Convertible #8  
Yep, Charles, he said he paid $3,500 for it in July '68, so yep that's just a little later than when I bought my Roadrunner.

/ '69 Convertible #9  
This one is not a collectable...
Jeex...it's a fairly common Plymouth! This ain't a Ferrari or other exotic.

$3500 sounds about right...

/ '69 Convertible #10  
While someone might want to buy it for what it is, I imagine it's worth more as a base for a Roadrunner 'recreation'. Restore that car, drop a Hemi into it and add all the right parts to turn it into a Roadrunner and they'd make a lot of money.