Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I have at least 3 maybe 4 Craftsman 3/8" ratchets in various stages of useability and 3, 1/2" ratchets. I am ready for something better, not necessarily SnapOn which I know is much better, but much more. Frankly my works not good enough for SnapOn anyway:p . Any recomendations on a quality brand?

I know the Craftsman are guranteed, not a single one I have is original anymore. Even new they are rough and the ratchet back has to much friction. Proto? Allen? Stanley?

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #2  
You know I just went thru the same delima. My decison was to just go and buy some mediocere (sp) wrench and if it breaks just buy another one. The good stuff just cost too much. K mart is now selling craftsman mediocere at best and not quaranteeded I don't think, but the price is not bad. I think it is just the times, quality cost too much and junk is still junk. Just got to buy what will get it done and except the fact that it is gonna break. The best socket set I have belive it or not is made by wizard. I think that was a western auto brand arond 1950. My uncle bought it for his gas station. used it for years. died 1960, my dad got it and had it for 20 years or better, and now i got it. When no other wrench works that stuff does. And not only that it lasted thru a fire that burned the garage down. edit..... Well maybe this means to buy the good stuff no matter what it cost. ?????

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #3  
In addition to Snap-On and Craftsman, I have always have good luck with SK Tools. They are made in the good old USA. Not sure if they have a lifetime warrantee, but I have not needed to find out.

BTW, I have picked up a few Snap-On tools via eBay from time to time. You can look up Snap-On prices at their website and keep that in mind as you bid. Sometimes people run the prices up to or even past Snap-On list, but other times you can get good deals. Just keep an eye on the seller's feedback rating.

Snap-On dealers will honor their warrantee regardless of where you purchased the tool. If you need to track a dealer down just ask your local garage or car stealership when the truck comes by.

~paul

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #4  
Denio's... You can find all the brands used there... Probably find some used Snap-on, Mac, or S-K. Over here, there is a tool shop that has new and used stuff(mostly new Chinese stuff, used everything).

I have been pretty rough on my Craftsman stuff, but never had any problems. I have a Snap-on 3/8 ratchet; works really well. I have a Husky/Home-Depot 3/8 ratchet in the toolkit I carry in my truck, but it gets little use(it works fine though).

How are you tearing them up? I use my impact and butterfly 3/8 and 1/2 air tools too for the tough stuff.

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #5  
Avoid Stanley, there don't make a tool worth buying anymore. Same thing with tool boxes or anything else with there name on it. Total junk.

My half inch craftsman wont handle any extreme loads, but Sears says it works just fine. Since it only slips when I'm working on heavy equiment, they don't belive me it's busted. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a half inch ratchet there. I forget the brand, but it's helf up very well for minimal money. Most of my heavy ratchet work is with an air gun anyway, so it spends most of it's time just sitting there.

I wont buy Craftsman anymore. It all fails and they make it too dificult to replace. I have a few wrenches for Lowes. I think they are called Kobalt, that have realy impressed me. I'd buy more of them.

Proto is very good, but also pricey. If I need a super strong, odd sized socket, I buy proto. Some of those sockets cost over $40 each.

I have a set of 3/8's sockets and a ratchet from a company called Master. It's very good, but I have no idea where to buy it or where it came from. My wife found it in her stuff and think it came from her ex husband, but we're not gonna ask him. hahaha

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #6  
This FACOM is the best I have ever worked with. I don't have the linked set yet, but I will. 20 years ago a business acquaintenace from France gave me a ratchet and a couple sockets necessary for the equipment we were selling at the time. For 1/4" drive, it is the ratchet I always reach for, and 20 years later the action sounds like it did the day he handed it to me. I am embarassed at the number of times I have put a cheater bar on it, instead of getting a bigger tool. I know some SnapOn fans will disagree, but I think FACOM are the finest hand tools made in the world. But, my 30 year old Craftsman's just won't die.

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #7  
I think NAPA has their own brand of tools that they sell that are warranted, as do most big box stores. Cornwell tools are a good brand if you can find them. Pawn shops can have some good deals on tools if you search them out. I give $60 for a set of 3/4" drive Snap-on impact sockets that went from 3/4 to 1 1/4". At the time you couldn't have bought 1 of those sockets off of a tool truck for less than that.

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #8  
Craftmans always been good to me when wrenching....even when I used a cheater bar on them...but the older I've gotten I find SK wrenches fit more comfortable in my hands.

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #9  
EddieWalker said:
My half inch craftsman wont handle any extreme loads, but Sears says it works just fine. Since it only slips when I'm working on heavy equiment, they don't belive me it's busted. I went to Tractor Supply and bought a half inch ratchet there. I forget the brand, but it's helf up very well for minimal money. Most of my heavy ratchet work is with an air gun anyway, so it spends most of it's time just sitting there.

This has me kinda wondering... If you and RAT are tweaking these 1/2" ratchet's, maybe you guys need some bigger stuff? Could it be that a 3/4 or 1" ratchet set is in order?

/ Any comments on 3/8" & 1/2" ratchets to buy #10  
I've bought three Husky brand ratchets from Home Depot, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 to replace some that were stolen from me at work, I'm very happy with all three - no problems and a pretty smooth action. I also have Craftman ratchets at home........ If you're happy with the Craftsman why not just get new official Sears craftsman - the guaranteed for life version?

Life is too short to use cheap tools..........:)