Getting a .45 pistol

/ Getting a .45 pistol #1  

KubotaSteve

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800 with loaded R-4s
I've finally talked the wife into letting me get another pistol. This time I am looking for a.45. I'm trying to keep the price under $1,000. I tried a search here but didn't turn up much.I'm not into any competition shooting or anything like that. I'm looking at something for home defense, and to shoot some when we head to the mountains on vacation. I may eventually get a concealed carry permit. I want something that is durable and easy to handle, but most important, I have pretty small hands.With all of that said, I've been leaning towards the Kimber line and I am particularlly interested in this one (Kimber Eclipse Ultra) http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols...lipseultra.php I've got my heart set on a .45 so any brand suggestions are welcome. I'm heading to the gun store tomorrow to take a look at what they have. I've also looked at the glock, sig and Taurus lines.Thanks,Steve

Last edited:
   / Getting a .45 pistol #3  
I am a SIG man myself, But I have been eyeballing that XD line myself,looks like a great deal:D

/ Getting a .45 pistol
While that Springfield XD45 looks nice, I noticed the capacity was 13+1 which usually means a dual stack clip and that translates into too big for my hands.

/ Getting a .45 pistol #5  
I am a springfield 1911 guy. Get a loaded model in stainless and it will do all you want and more. I have close to 10K rounds through mine with no problems. None of the Kimber shooters in my group has had near that kind of performance. Kimbers look great though, but in my experience the long term performance just does not seem to be there.

bigtwinhog

/ Getting a .45 pistol #6  
I have a colt gold cup series 80. Never been fired but it looks good!

mark

/ Getting a .45 pistol #7  
All the semi's mentioned will do the trick! I have a S&W .45, stainless steel, 6 shot revolver and a Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. I like having revolvers around because of the wife. In the heat of the moment (0300 and the alarm goes off), I don't want my wife having to fiddle faddle around with a semi-automatic to do the job. Just grab, point, squeeze, boom.

However, I do have a Glock Model 22C (.40 cal) that is my preference for home defense (Trijicon tritium night combat sights, ported barrel, and a lasermax brand LaserMax: Glock Models: Internal Laser Sights laser sight also, which is cool because it's inside the weapon).

Top in Pic is the Ruger .357, which has a small grip, this would fit your hand I bet, because my wife loves the feel of it.

Mid pic is the S&W .45, with Pachmeyer grip.

Bottom of course is the Glock .40 cal.

I'm looking for a U.S. Gov't .45, 1911 which 98% of them were of course made by Colt. The other 2 percent were made by the now gone Springfield Armory (not affiliated with the modern day Springfield Armory). Anybody have any leads, PM me. Thanks.

DSCN0630.JPG

/ Getting a .45 pistol #8  
I have a Glock 21 (.45 ACP) and it has been a great gun. I think regardless of brand make sure you have good ammo as junk rounds will not fire well in any gun.Go to the gun dealer and get a feel for the guns and see which one fits your hand the best. My 21 fits my hand great but it is too big for most women and smaller guys. If it doesn't fit your hand well it will be uncomfortable to shoot.

/ Getting a .45 pistol
My brother says I'm a freak because my fingers aren't that long. I'm 5'8" and 200 pounds and my wife is 5'3" and 125 pounds and her hands are bigger than mine. I have a Makarov .380 with rubber grips and it is a little big (with regular grips it is perfect size) but the rubber grip was more comfortable.What brands of guns are good for smaller hands?Just to give you an idea my hand is only 7.25" from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger.

/ Getting a .45 pistol #10  
KubotaSteve said:
My brother says I'm a freak because my fingers aren't that long. I'm 5'8" and 200 pounds and my wife is 5'3" and 125 pounds and her hands are bigger than mine. I have a Makarov .380 with rubber grips and it is a little big (with regular grips it is perfect size) but the rubber grip was more comfortable.What brands of guns are good for smaller hands?Just to give you an idea my hand is only 7.25" from my wrist to the tip of my middle finger.

Check out Kahr firearms.Kahr Arms / The Gun Rack

They have several .45 models and seem to be a little more "compact" which may fit your hand better.

hud