Pledge of Alleigiance

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Pledge of Alleigiance #2  
Roy,

As soon as the web opened up I remembered it. I didn't even have to listen to it. I think I posted that someplace before. Unfortuanately we have forgotten it.

murph

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #3  
Thanks Roy,

I always enjoyed Red Skeleton when I was growing up. He made common things funny and still had a serious side as in that clip. Sometimes we need to be reminded how good we have it and what we can lose if we get passive about its protection. I have always thought of The Pledge of Allegiance as MY commitment to defend OUR country.

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #4  
Roy, thank you for your posting. It has been years since I've heard that. It made me think about things today and as a result I sent the following email to my family and friends. Thanks again, Roy.

Family and Friends,
Every once in a while I see things that I feel are worth sharing with those I care about.
Here are a few:
While waiting for Kay at the airport Monday evening, I watched two moms with two little children in tow, a little boy and a little girl. As they walked from the terminal to the parking lot the little girl looked up and saw the flag waving from the flagpole. She excitedly called to her mother, "Look Mommy, the American flag." Unfortunately, both mothers ignored her excitment over her discovery. I wanted to go up to her and tell her how wonderful and beautiful it was and to share in her excitement. But, of course that is something we can't do anymore for fear of being accused of some sort of perversion.

This morning, while reading through the postings on one of my favorite Websites, I came across the attached. Please let me share it with you:
Pledge Of Allegiance To The Flag Of The United States Of America

As most of you know, I teach in a high school. Each morning, we recite the Pledge of Alligiance and take a moment in silence to pray or reflect. It is mandated by the state of Texas. The only voice I hear when the Pledge is recited is mine. Many of my students stand only because I insist upon it and many will not even look at our flag. The really sad part about this is the fact that most of my students are children of soldiers stationed at Fort Hood and many of those are now serving in Iraq.

Taking all three of these experiences into consideration, I have to ask myself, where have we gone wrong? Must we become old before we understand why we love our flag and our country?

Thank you all for allowing me to share this with you and God Bless America.

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #5  
Taking all three of these experiences into consideration, I have to ask myself, where have we gone wrong? Must we become old before we understand why we love our flag and our country?

To answer the second question first. No. But it has to be taught how lucky we are to live in this county if one is born here. I think people who move to the US know how good we have it...

I can't answer the first question since it quickly goes into politics. But it is telling that Red did this skit in 1969. But the 60's is WHEN we started going wrong.

Later,
Dan

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #6  
Local radio station plays it each year... sends chills up you spine. Remember when folks like him could really be funney and not use any nasty stuff. To this day, no one is better than Lucy!

mark

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #7  
Two others that I have in my collection are:
John Wayne's "America, Why I Love Her"
Gordon Sinclair's "The Americans"

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #8  
dmccarty said:
I can't answer the first question since it quickly goes into politics. But it is telling that Red did this skit in 1969. But the 60's is WHEN we started going wrong.

Later,
Dan

You are so right! That was about the time we, as Americans, first started hoping we,America, would lose a war. And, because of it, we did.

/ Pledge of Alleigiance #9  
I think it's time to close this thread since it's getting into politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.