NEC code question

/ NEC code question #1  

bones1

Platinum Member
St.Marys County. Maryland/Tall Timbers Md.
Tractor
Farmtrac 300 dtc
Getting around to wiring my garage and want to run 12/2 along the header walls up top and have that come down into EMT tubing to the outlets over the workbenches to protect it.This building has to be blessed by an inspector when it's done.Can you run romex in EMT by code and do you need some sort of connector at the top of the EMT where the 12/2 enters by code for abrasion resistance etc?.I have already mounted all the metal boxes and connected the EMT to them with compression fittings.Just need to run the 12/2 along up top and feed it through the pipes to the plugs.Boy I sure hope I don't have to rip it all out.:confused:

/ NEC code question #2  
Yes, you can run romex inside EMT, and yes, you should use something at the top to prevent abrasion. It's been a while since I studied it, and while you used to be able to use plastic adapters at the top for this, I am not sure if this is still the case or not. But they now make special romex adapters that go from 1/2" EMT to romex which works great for this purpose, and is what I would use. Essentially, it fits over the EMT like a coupling on the one end and the other end looks like a standard romex cable clamp.

/ NEC code question #3  
I'M a Lic. Ca gen. contr. That does all his own elec. Not approved, bad idea. Sheathing builds up heat! The inspector won't be impressed!! This is something
homeowners do , not pros. !!!

/ NEC code question #4  
toolaholic said:
I'M a Lic. Ca gen. contr. That does all his own elec. Not approved, bad idea. Sheathing builds up heat! The inspector won't be impressed!! This is something
homeowners do , not pros. !!!

I disagree, as I am a licensed electrical contractor. It will NOT build up heat anymore than it would otherwise, unless you are loaded to the max in terms of long-term amp draw, which would have to be something close to 20 amps which is LOT of current at a standard recep.

This is done all the time in areas of the country with basements for things like receps, power drops to furnaces, etc. If in doubt, ask your inspector before doing it, as they are the ultimate authority.

/ NEC code question #5  
kmdigital said:
If in doubt, ask your inspector before doing it, as they are the ultimate authority.

There are no doubt a bunch of ways to do this job. Above is probably the most sound advice as it is the inspector that will be signing for it... I would discuss your plan with him and see if it meets his approval.

/ NEC code question #7  
kmdigital said:
I disagree, as I am a licensed electrical contractor. It will NOT build up heat anymore than it would otherwise, unless you are loaded to the max in terms of long-term amp draw, which would have to be something close to 20 amps which is LOT of current at a standard recep.

This is done all the time in areas of the country with basements for things like receps, power drops to furnaces, etc. If in doubt, ask your inspector before doing it, as they are the ultimate authority.

I agree - always good to check with the local inspector.

However - short runs of 12/2 in 1/2" EMT for abrasion protection are common (which is why they make the romex to EMT connector). The only thing I would make sure of is that the EMT is grounded. Since you will be terminating at a metal box - there should not be any issues since the box (properly installed) will be grounded.

BTW - if you want to protect the 12/2 in the middle of a run (such as to transverse an unprotected space) - I would use plastic vice metal just to make sure it will never get energized.

My two cents.

Joe