anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller?

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #1  

peterc38

Platinum Member
Hi,

There is a guy down the road from me selling a “Roto-Hoe” tiller. I never heard of this brand but after a little research I found they were made by a company in Ohio that is now out of business. I’m no expert, but this thing looks to be built like a tank. Much more heavy duty than some of the newer tillers you see today @ home depot or lowes. It appears to be 20-25 years old. It has an 8HP Tecumsuh engine on it. It looks like about an 18” tilling width. He only wants $100 or best offer. I talked to him on the phone and he says it runs fine, but when he starts to till he says it slows down or slips. I’m no mechanic, but sounds like a belt or something slipping. Does this sound fixable? I also found that there are sources for parts/manuals online for these machines as well. Since I could probably get it for less than $100 it doesn’t sound too risky, even if I have to put a little money into it.

I would appreciate any opinions and/or input, thanks

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #2  
I used to have a big front time roto Hoe tiller. Was ok, but you needed to weith 300lbs to use it in hard soil.

I called it "Atiller the Hun", because it would conquer your butt.
Other than that it was ok. Never had to work on it, but bought used and only had 3 years.

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #3  
I own one - purchased new around 1982 and Yes it is built like a tank and Yes it will bust through anything as long as you are strong enough to control it!

The best thing about them is that they are built heavy and built of common parts - on the rare occasion that a repair is needed a trip to the hardware store or auto parts store will easily locate the pieces needed. The engine is an 8HP Tecumseh and when it fails they are as easy to find as fleas on a deer! The belt drive system is simple and easy to maintain but you will want to have spare belts on hand at all times - they do wear a bit faster than you might expect, especially the one running from the jack shaft down to the transmission, I think that is due the the dirt it is exposed to. If the engine runs and the transmission operates in all gears then it is certainly worth $100 to buy.

I have discovered that when breaking heavy or hard packed soil that the best method is to remove the rear tine shield and drag spike completely (if they are still there) and to break ground in Reverse! This will cause the tiller to tend to dig in instead of try to run over the top of the packed soil and it also does a fantastic job of pulling rocks up to the surface making them easy to remove from your garden plot. :)

Bob

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #4  
Jump on it quick. Slipping is almost always a belt tensioner, or more likely the belt. I have a Troy Built Junior and it slips when the belt is worn. Dont let it go at $100!!!!! go buy it. To many times I have seen a great deal on Craigslist and let it go a day or two before contact and it is gone.

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #5  
I picked up a Roto-Hoe chipper/shredder on the side of the road. It starts and runs. Looks like they made some rugged stuff back in the day.
I really don't have a use for it. I use a burn-barrel instead :p

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller?
Jump on it quick. Slipping is almost always a belt tensioner, or more likely the belt. I have a Troy Built Junior and it slips when the belt is worn. Dont let it go at $100!!!!! go buy it. To many times I have seen a great deal on Craigslist and let it go a day or two before contact and it is gone.

Jump on it? The original post is almost 2 yrs old.

Anyway, I didn't buy it. Found a used Troybilt Horse that I got instead.

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #8  
Hi,

There is a guy down the road from me selling a è¿*oto-Hoe tiller. I never heard of this brand but after a little research I found they were made by a company in Ohio that is now out of business. I知 no expert, but this thing looks to be built like a tank. Much more heavy duty than some of the newer tillers you see today @ home depot or lowes. It appears to be 20-25 years old. It has an 8HP Tecumsuh engine on it. It looks like about an 18 tilling width. He only wants $100 or best offer. I talked to him on the phone and he says it runs fine, but when he starts to till he says it slows down or slips. I知 no mechanic, but sounds like a belt or something slipping. Does this sound fixable? I also found that there are sources for parts/manuals online for these machines as well. Since I could probably get it for less than $100 it doesn稚 sound too risky, even if I have to put a little money into it.

I would appreciate any opinions and/or input, thanks

Hi I too have a roto-hoe. It is a tank. i have 3 troybilts and this one is heavy duty. well worth $100.00. mine runs good. yes it is fixable. probably a belt needs replaced or the belt tightner needs tightened up. There are two belts. make sure you replace the right one.

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #9  
Alot of people hack on roto hoe. In fact they are pretty well built not tomuch to go wrong with them altough the are known for going through drive belts and a chain every now and agin. I have a couple of machines ( chipper/shredder,ect.) and they are built like tanks the only falt that I have realy found is that they where purpose commercialy built so not alot of guarding around drive belts,fly wheels! Kinda dangerouse if you have little ones around!! The only other thing is they are built so tuff that if u hit somthing big and hard tiller wont bouce over it like a troy built it will either eat what you hit or destroy the tines. My chipper/shrdder only has a five horse on it and Iv stuck a three inch branch in it and it didnt even blink!

/ anyone familiar with "Roto-Hoe" Rototiller? #10  
I have a roto-hoe tiller. My Uncle bought it from a garage sale, but hardly anyone could/would run it. It sat outside my parents garage with a tub over it. every 3-5 years when I would make it home we would get it running, and use it. It is a tank, and I have had it come completely off the ground, and out of my hands several times if it hits a rock, or root. But I liked it so much I bought it from my uncle, it sets sometimes for a year or two, and then I use it again, but will put it up against any newer tiller Lowes, or Depot sells.
This thing is durable, and reliable, though it does need a carb rebuild, but after about 12 years of mostly setting, that's fair.