Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project

/ Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project #11  
Me again. I went back and read the rest of the thread so here is a little more info. I recommend the Yardman 8 hp machine (for conversion to hydraulic) because before mine frooze up (my fault) it was great. Consumer Reports magazine liked it enough to top rate it. I put 3" pine and oak in mine and it chipped it without any problem. I think Yardman has a lot of other brands so it may be easy to find a similar one. Mine had an 8 hp Tecumseh and was direct drive via tapered shaft. The cutter head looks like an auto flywheel with 3 (I think) straight blades each bolted over a hole. The other side has centrifical hammers for chopping brush and leaves. The main motor output bearing served double duty as bearing for the cutter head so a direct drive hydraulic motor would need sturdy bearings. Surplus Center (800 488 3407 no web page) has good prices on new and used hydraulic motors. Hope this is of help. I hope to convert my gas generator to hydraulic also. I'm tired of maintaining (or not) small engines that get only occasional use.

/ Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project
I hadn't seen the formula for T, thanks.

/ Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project
That's why I was looking at the belt drive units. The slip factor if it jams would just be another safety valve for expensive repairs.

And you are thinking exactly like me when it comes to gas engines to maintain. I have quite a few that could be converted to hydraulic. I've already eliminated the need for two snowblowers, my yard tractor and a push mower with the PT425. And a gas can for the gas/oil mix for the blowers.

I think I'll leave the gerator stand alone, though. When there is a power outage, there is usually storm damage to clean up and I'd have to disconnect the PT425 from the generator to do the cleanup.

/ Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project #14  
How long does it take you to get the Yardman unit apart to sharpen the blades? I looked at taking my 5hp mtd apart to sharpen the blades last time I changed the oil (what a pain in the arse what was as drain plug was flush with the mounting plate and all the oil flowed over the plate) and changed my mind.

Access to the cutting edges and replacement blades should be high on the consideration list when looking for a doner machine.

/ Troy Built Hydraulic Chipper Shredder Project #15  
<font color=red>I looked at taking my 5hp mtd apart to sharpen the blades last time I changed the oil (what a pain in the arse what was as drain plug was flush with the mounting plate and all the oil flowed over the plate) and changed my mind.</font color=red>

I had my MTD apart, and it not THAT bad. There is about a zillion bolts holding the halfs together, but other than that its simple. Ya that oil tube is a PITA! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif They only had to extend it anouther 1/2 inch and it would have been perfict. I am going to replace mine with a longer one one of these days.