help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #1  

opihiman911

I have been given my dads old Troy Bilt rear tine tiller that he has had for over 20 years. It has had years of use and abuse and has sat idle for the last several years but an oil change, new spark plug and fresh gas and it started right up.
I would like to get the user/parts manual for this tiller so I can replace a couple worn parts and do some rebuilding on it so maybe I can get another 20 years out of it.
The original ID tag on the tine cover is long gone and painted over. The only info I could find on it is on the engine. It is a Kohler engine model# K161T spec# 2812711 serial# 9655216. I couldn't even find the name troy bilt anywhere on the tiller, I just know this from my dad, that and he thinks he bought is in the mid/late 80's. That is all he could tell me about it.
Any help on what model troy bilt this is and where I can find a parts/user manual for it?

Thanks for any help.

Cory

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #2  
Hi! I have a HORSE TROY-BILT as your .Serial number is stamped on upper Gear case Right side. I have operator (Large) and the Parts manual (Small) MTD or TROY-BILT Dealer Probably can order parts for You. Good Luck ! Oldmech

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #3  
Yours is a Horse model, and if from the mid '80's possibly a PTO model? Does the tine section remove so that you could attach the optional log splitter or electric generator?

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller
Thanks, that CD is what I'm looking at. I was hoping for a book or manual so I can have the pictures next to me when I work on the tiller, but I guess I can just print my section out and put it in a binder for reference.
I'm not sure about removing the tine for a log splitter. I know my dad never did that, but doesn't mean it can't..
Thank for the help and info. I sent the same message to troy bilt customer service at the same time.......still havn't heard from them. Isn't the internet and these discussion boards awesome.

Thanks for the help again. I might be back with more questions when I start tearing things apart.

Aloha,
Cory

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #6  
Sounds like you have a 7 hp kohler powered Horse model with the two speed transmission from the early 1980's. The Kohler engine manual would be available from Kohler. MTD bought troy bilt and you might find your tiller manual on the MTD website.

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #7  
I said two speed transmission, but it's a hi-low transmission with a forward and reverse. Also, you can manually change the belt on the pulley at the engine to a higher hi-lo range. So I guess I should have said a four speed transmission to be accurate?

Your manual should be here: PDF Manual Web Archive

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #8  
The serial number is cast in the rectangular cast iron cover on top of the transmission where the shift lever comes out, at least that is where it is on mine.

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #9  
I had a 1981 Horse tiller like you have, it was great. I traded it in 1990 for a new Horse with a 8HP Kohler Magnum. Troy bilt made a detailed transmission manual for those units that was full of pictures and seemed very detailed. It was written so non-mechanics could do repairs on their tillers. I would restore your tiller because you can't buy one like it anymore. It is a shame to see the tiller they call a "troy bilt" now. It is nothing like the old ones with the cast iron Kohler engines.

/ help IDing troy bilt rear tine tiller #10  
I was told that the cast iron Kohler engines had to be phased out because of EPA emission rules. Whether this is the case, I can't say. Maybe it isn't all Troy Bilt's fault that they've gone to different engines. The old Troy Bilt Horse model with the kohler engine is one nice machine.

About 10 years ago, I sold a Troy Bilt Jr. I wasn't using much. As I recall, it had a 3.5 HP engine and a forward/reverse. I recently bought the most similar Troy Bilt model I could find, but the aggravating thing is it doesn't have a reverse on it like my old one did. I guess somebody backed over their foot and then Troy Bilt started making them so they'd only go forward. I wish had I kept my old one.