Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

/ Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #21  
I just posted an old gem of a troy bilt horse in the for sale forum for $1000. I would have to disagree with the person who says the new are as good as the old...I'm a 42 year old youngster but I have been around enough equipment in my life to know the difference between "Old School American Made Iron that's practically indestructable" and the "new stuff that will break with much less use". The new ones have "significant plastic and 18-20 gauge tin" the old ones have "significant cast iron and 10-14 gauge sheet metal".

/ Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #22  
.... The new ones have "significant plastic and 18-20 gauge tin" the old ones have "significant cast iron and 10-14 gauge sheet metal".

Tin? :confused2: Do you know what tin is?

I have a newer Horse (early 90's) and the only things that I've warn out are tines, tine oil seals, tires and engines.

/ Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #23  
Tin? :confused2: Do you know what tin is?

I have a newer Horse (early 90's) and the only things that I've warn out are tines, tine oil seals, tires and engines.

My guess is he didn't mean the 20 year old ones when he said "the new ones..."

/ Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #24  
I've owned a number of these tillers from the early 1970's models and for about 20 years out and have never really noticed any quality issues or significant changes in manufacturing quality. The older Kohler engines are great and some of the Briggs and Stratton engines not so great but they are easy to change out and there are threads on the TBM.

The axle oil seals all leak and some of the older ones have a front oil seal that leaks from lack of use. This is not real common but if you tip the machine forward the leak will show itself and the fix is to remove the engine to get at the seal. Mine has that problem but since I don't leave it tipped forward there is no leak. All the seals I have changed seem to be common sizes and easily obtained at an auto parts store like NAPA.

A problem I have found lately is the inability to find the rear tires. I think the size is 4.80 x 8 but I can't find them except for a crazy price like $50 or so. $20 would be more appropriate for a simple Chinese tire. Many comperable size cost under $20.

/ Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #25  
MTD will sell you a set of wheels for a little less then $300. For that price they ought to remove your old ones for you.