Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

I'm going to be looking at a couple Troy Bilt Horse tillers. One is Electric Start wit an 8 hp briggs and the other is pull start with a 8 hp koller. I believe they are of the early 80 vintage.

Can anyone give me an ideal of what I should look for when checking them out and what kind of price range is reasonable?

Thank for your help.

Tractor
    Deere 316 (Kohler) Deere 316 (Onan) Deere 210

Default Re: Buying a Used Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

They should probably both be PTO models if newer than 1983. I like the Kohler motor more than the Briggs because it has a cast iron block, better torque at lower RPMs and (my opinion only here) just seems more reliable.

Look for tines that are still squarish at the ends, if they are worn to points, they are pretty much worn out and around $100 to replace. All the controls should work easily, should start easily, the seals on the axles almost always seem to be leaking a little, that's no big deal. And the usual small engine check list, does it have oil? is the oil fresh and clean? Air filter clean? does it smoke when running?

Prices? anywhere from $175 to $650 depending on condition, included attachments like the wrap around bumper, front blade, wheel weights, chains, hiller furrower, etc. If these turn out to be PTO models, and he has attachments that replace the tilling head , like a elec. generator, log splitter, wood chipper, etc, then you hit the mother load if you can use those.
    If it's free, it's for me!!!!!

Tractor
    L3830

I vote for the Kohler also, I have had two, a 81 model with a 7HP Kohler and one I purchased new in 1992 with the 8HP Kohler magnum engine. I agree you should look at the tines to make sure they are blunt on the ends and not wore to a point. If all the levers work you should be good to go. The PTO horse models have a dipstick to check the gear oil on the tilling section and the main transmission has a check plug on the side. They are great units, much better than the new MTD versions the tiller. Happy tilling

Quote Originally Posted by Saxman
    I vote for the Kohler also, I have had two, a 81 model with a 7HP Kohler and one I purchased new in 1992 with the 8HP Kohler magnum engine. I agree you should look at the tines to make sure they are blunt on the ends and not wore to a point. If all the levers work you should be good to go. The PTO horse models have a dipstick to check the gear oil on the tilling section and the main transmission has a check plug on the side. They are great units, much better than the new MTD versions the tiller. Happy tilling
    So you mean MTD now makes Troy Bilt, if thats the case I don't know if I'd spend the extra money for a Troy-Bilt.

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy
    So you mean MTD now makes Troy Bilt, if thats the case I don't know if I'd spend the extra money for a Troy-Bilt.
    I think the Horse and Pony models are still made as good as the older models. The price reflect this of course at $1899 MSRP for the Horse model.
    Kubota L3200 w/ LA524 FEL
    Landpride RCR 1860 rotary cutter
    Landpride RB1684 rear blade w/ hydraulic angle
    Woods GB60 boxblade
    Kubota B7610 w/LA352 FEL (sold)
    Husqvarna 562XP
    Husqvarna 371XP
    Husqvarna 346XP
    6 x 10 Dump Trailer
    Troy Bilt Horse
    22 ton Speeco Logsplitter
    2 Great Danes
    Vive l'acadie!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    T065 and a 165

Bob....if you need parts for your purchase. The best place and most reasonable price I have found for Troy Bilt parts is this website.

Troy Bilt Parts

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by farmguy
    Towards the end of GardenWay's operations when they were slowly falling apart, MTD was contracted to make tillers even then. The Horse model Tiller is essentially the same machine as it has always been. MTD hasn't changed much that I know of.

Tractor
    L3830

I would tend to agree that the horse is essentially the same machine as it was when Garden Way was building them with the exception of not offering a Kohler engine. The black painted Briggs, and I am not sure if it is a premium "IC" engine or not, is not the same. I sent Troy Bilt an e-mail and suggested for the premium price they charge for the top of the line tiller it should have a premium engine such as the Kohler or Honda. I guess they didn't listen, LOL

Tractor

Most of the small engine warehouses carry replacement Kohler 8 HP Magnums for the Troy tillers and Tecumsehs as well.

Hi, I had an older model that I had to let go of and just bought a newer one. How do I determine if it has a pto or not?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast