Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #1  

Schultz

Gold Member
Tractor
BX-2200
I've got an old tiller I bought few months back that has just been driving me nuts with the governor.

I had to replace the internal governor that runs off the cam since it was in pieces at the bottom of the crankcase when I got it. I got a new internal governor and put it all back together and it still doesn't maintain a constant speed and will over-speed if you let it. When I till I have to move the throttle up to maintain engine speed and move it down if I pull it out of the ground, essentially I'm the governor.
I even took it into a small engine repair shop after I couldn't get to work right. They gave it back to me a said it was fixed but they didn't till with it. It doesnt work any better than before.
Any advice on an old Tecumseh 6hp and how to get the governor to work?

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #2  
:D I went through the same thing when I put a short block on an old troy built econo horse. Eventually, I tried it upside down from the way I thought it should be, and it has worked fine since. Look at it closely, and see if it will go on the other way. If you need pics I can take some of mine, but it's out under a tarp by the far garden right now.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp
Yes I have the old Eco-horse too. I'll take a look at it and see if it can be switched around. Could you send or post some pictures, that would really help. The general engine manual pictures that I've seen have pictures of other types but not what I have.
Thanks,
Tim

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #4  
Hope these photos help:

Attachments

• econo horse 002.jpg
    econo horse 002.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 6,122
  • econo horse 006.jpg
    econo horse 006.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 1,996
  • econo horse 007.jpg
    econo horse 007.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 3,179
   / Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp
Thanks Chuck,
That will help. I'll compare that to what I have when I get home.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #6  
I don't have an answer to your ?......

Two things to watch on the old horse model with the Tecumseh engines

1. the carb stick way out on them and if you bump a fence post or something it'll break right off...sometimes your lucky and it only breaks the cast aluminum in the carb.....other times it breaks the cast iron on the block......I always told the customer to buy a bumper for the Tecumseh powered tillers......best $$ they ever spent to keep problems from happening..

2. make sure you keep it full of oil.....maybe just a tad over full.....when you sink them in the ground, the engine is way off of level and the oil runs to one side.......and if your low on oil.....count on a new short block......we used to call them rod slingers....

Now, this does not mean I'm bad-mouthing your tiller....they are great tillers and last for years........but I worked at a Troy dealer for 7 years and I can't tell you how many times people fell over when I tole them the carb was $70 and worse if the block broke.........then I also recall we always kept short-blocks for that particular model......because of slinging rods.....most people never have a problem.....

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #7  
Hi I'm a newbie here and am having the same issue, I helped and older gentleman who was pushing his tiller to the curb! Well after replacing the carb and making a throttle rod mne fired right up, but the governor does not seem to work! I have the same linkage pictured above but can't regulate rpm, any suggestion? I'm at a loss and am close to pushing it back to the curb!

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #8  
Note that the thread you responded to is from 2008, so hopefully the original posters still are on TBN and still have that thread in their subscriptions. I have a Troybilt with the 6 HP Tecumseh from the mid 80s and it has been rock solid. One of the posts above is exactly correct in that the oil HAS to be kept full while the ENGINE IS LEVEL, not while the tines are on the ground or buried in the soil.

As far as the governor goes, I have a 5 HP Tecumseh that is acting as you describe. I have not got to replacing the internal governor yet. Did you note the post above about it possibly being upside down if you replaced it?

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #9  
Well, I am aware that this is a possible issue, mine came without the carb and the linkage from that to the horse shoe shaped linkage on the motor was missing, I first observed that the motor came from a Ariens snow blower complete but missing the carb and the throttle rod. So I've compared it with some pictures and bent some hard wire to what I think is close. I've also tried to adjust the govener but have observed no difference is function/performance! I'm not exactly new to small engines and a horse power junkie, I figured this would be a no brainer but has tested my fortitude! The carburetor is nos and borrowed an air cleaner from an old mini bike I rode as a kid until I get another, it runs great just isn't governed.

/ Troy built tiller with Tecumseh 6hp #10  
Well, I am aware that this is a possible issue, mine came without the carb and the linkage from that to the horse shoe shaped linkage on the motor was missing, I first observed that the motor came from a Ariens snow blower complete but missing the carb and the throttle rod. So I've compared it with some pictures and bent some hard wire to what I think is close. I've also tried to adjust the govener but have observed no difference is function/performance! I'm not exactly new to small engines and a horse power junkie, I figured this would be a no brainer but has tested my fortitude! The carburetor is nos and borrowed an air cleaner from an old mini bike I rode as a kid until I get another, it runs great just isn't governed.

I have the Tecumseh 6hp HH60 engine, and had the same linkage problem. Turns out there needs to be a hard link between the carb throttle butterfly to the govener and a "soft" spring link to the throttle cable (for the governer to work, it has to be able to adjust and balance the throttle regardless of hard throttle position.) with a hard link all the way back to your throttle cable, the governer cannot control anything. in the attached picture, you can see the hard link that goes back to the governer at the top of the pic. right on top of that is the spring which attaches the throttle linkage to the butterfly valve on the carb. finding the right spring is the trick.tiller throttle linkage.jpg