Can you recommend a tiller?

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
thanks - I am looking at the cub cadet sold at home depot....it is around 700 bucks...

any others I should be looking at?

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #3  
Yes, it is important to know how much gardening you intend to do. I have run Troy-bilt Horse tillers and have been running BCS tractors with all attachments since they were introduced to the USA in the mid 1970's. The BCS units are definitely heads and shoulders above anything Troy made. And now that MTD owns the name, I would be very shy of them.

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #6  
If you are mechanically inclined, another option is to find an older Troy Bilt before MTD bought their tiller line. Chances are the tines and the engine will be shot, but replacement tines are available and the engine can be replaced with a "Chonda" for $100-$200 as discussed in other threads in this forum.

If you check the want ads, there are usually some tiller ads in there for folks who bought tillers and decided gardening took too much time. So there can be some deals there if you shop carefully and patiently.

BCS is good, but hard to come by around here.

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #7  
I have an approximately 20? year old MTD which works great. I would recommend a rear tine tiller whatever you get.

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #8  
hi- 2manyrocks well i have a bcs,for quality,not a throw away machine and it mite work for you. all sizes are built to the same exacting commerical standards and each one is not just a tiller? for more info:bcsamerica.com toll-free 1-800-543-1040 for nearest dearler :thumbsup:

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #9  
I bought a CC rear tine tiller at TSC a couple years ago. It had better features than the comparable Troy Built (both are MTD products) at lesser cost. We have 3 gardens totalling about 2400 sq.ft. and the Honda powered CC reversible rear tine tiller suits us fine. I just didn't want to spend $1300 on a tiller, and so far I don't think I needed to.

/ Can you recommend a tiller? #10  
HI rickb sounds like your garden tilling is in control, my garden size about the same [i to had a troy b?]In my case its only a tiller so i wanted something better without belts and build quality I came to bcs performance,durablity,versatily for me i till the garden,use the chipper/shredder to make mulch and snow thrower in the winter, would like to get the lawn mower all need only one motor to maintane may seem more expensive than a single purpose machine at first glance.it ought to be-just compare them! there is many used machines out there craigs list,ebay ex. its works great for me. bcs web bcs america.com
hope this helps you have a great garden year.:thumbsup: