Troy Bilt Horse Tiller

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #11  
I just saw one on the local list here for $400 with the 8 hp Kohler. Looks like it had been repainted recently because it was too shiny for its age and you could see the paint on the tires.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #12  
He's asking $500 but I think he'll take $400 if pressed. Does the year sound about right? .

Not sure about the year, but 4-5 is too much without hearing and seeing if it runs like it's supposed to. You're buying a pig in the poke, $250 would be more like it. I paid 250 for my TF 1001. Great machine.

On the other hand, you cannot buy anything as rugged as an old Horse on the market now. There's one on EBAY now for $537 - just about mint condition. These are all variables only you and your finances can decide.

Check the botton of the axles by the tires for a leaky axle seal. Big trouble if there is heavy grease there. Those seals only come out by tapping them out from the inside the transmission.

Check the condition of the engine oil.

Throw the left lever down so that the machine is locked in the forward position. Check the tension on the two belts under the cast iron hood. Should be the same tension as the old style fan belts on a car (1/2 in" play). If it's more than that,

check the dual belt adjustment block for the belts. The left side lever is the forward reverse gear shift. At the very front of the lever, you will see a roller assembly that rolls up and down an eccentric block. In back of the block is a bolt, with an slot in the block to set the point at which forward (tightening the belts) engages. If the bolt is at the very bottom of the slot, you can just about count on paying a mechanic $50 to replace the belts. You can do it if you have small hands. I don't. Make sure he cleans the pulleys with CRC Brakekleen.

The machine will not run right without good belts. It will slip out of gear (like mine), stop spinning the tines when you hit the hard stuff. I ended up bracing my shoulders between the handlebars, left hand on the forward gear, right hand on the fast slow gear, to keep it going through this heavy red clay soil.
But I got it 1800 sq ft done.

Best $250 I ever spent. Of course, I had to change the oil, change the gear box 90 weight oil, (keep that gear box full, you want enough oil in there to supply the rear tine axle), sharpen the tines, new filter, new plug, clean out the carb bowl, wash out the gas tank, replace the gas line hose. That's stuff you have to do anyway.

Then I spent $70 adding an electric start (the engine already had a non-functioning starter motor that I tinkered with until it engaged the flywheel.) Couldn't let that starter motor go to waste. 8HP Tecumseh, not the original engine.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #13  
Guess they made some with 2 or single belt,mines just got one belt.

Its one of the newer old ones[bought it about 13-14 years ago].

Also mines got a seperate gear box for rear tiller[adding oil].

Just ordered a belt for mine off of custompartsinc.com. And going to have new tires put on the wheels next week,[goodyear store ordered them],about 30 a piece I think they said.Belt was about 30 including shipping. Thats the only things I've done to it other than a gas tank several years ago.

Tines are about wore out,might get them soon also.First set.
Mines got an 8 hp kohler motor.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #14  
Guess they made some with 2 or single belt,mines just got one belt.

Its one of the newer old ones[bought it about 13-14 years ago].

Also mines got a seperate gear box for rear tiller[adding oil].

Just ordered a belt for mine off of custompartsinc.com. And going to have new tires put on the wheels next week,[goodyear store ordered them],about 30 a piece I think they said.Belt was about 30 including shipping. Thats the only things I've done to it other than a gas tank several years ago.

Tines are about wore out,might get them soon also.First set.
Mines got an 8 hp kohler motor.

Hey, Greenmule, what's your tire size? I got one 4-8 the other a 5-3. If I had another 5-3, It would sit an inch lower, and dig an inch deeper. Steers just a leetle beet off. I don't know what I have - TF 1019 stamped on the handle, TF 1001-1 stamped on the transmission case (left side top). Thanks for the belt link.

(I thought to myself about the rear end, that was dumb, no check/add/drain plug.)

There's a set of tines on EBAY for $100 with no info other than 16 tines, 16 sets of nuts and bolts. In looking at those, and looking at mine, I'd say I'd need some, too, but if it ain't broke, I'm not going to fool with it.

I took the rear skirt off so I could see what I was doing. The machine tends to lurch forward when it hits the hard clay, so I grab the middle bar and dig in with my heels so it'll stay in one place while it grinds away. (Reverse doesn't work, fiber disc not available anymore).

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #16  
I have three Troybuilt tillers that have been sitting around for a couple of years. They were running when last used. One of them is a Horse, and the other two are Pony's. I also have a Troybuilt sickle bar mower that has about 20 hrs. It has been sitting around for a while. I also have, I believe a Swisher Trail mower with a 11 HP Honda engine. Bring your trailer and make a reasonable offer and if we strike a deal, then take it all away.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #17  
If I lived within an hour or so of you,I'd take you up on that.but....

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #18  
I can't imagine operating a Horse tiller with 2 belts in place. The pulleys may look side by side, but they are different ratios. By popping the belt from one side to the other you can speed up or slow down the ground speed (it's how you get 4 speeds, High-Low with the belt on one side and High-Low again with the belt on the other side). By running two belts at the same time, one HAS to slip because they would be fighting each other at different speeds.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #19  
My 6 HP tecumseh horse has 2 matched belts, that is the older 2 speed. The 2 speed has the reverse disk the goes into a groove in the pully. The newer model has a single belt that you switch to a different groove in the pulley to get your 4 speeds. It also uses a flat reverser disk that rubs a flat on the transmission pulley.

/ Troy Bilt Horse Tiller #20  
Batty, I'd post a picture if I could. In reading the partslists at Replacement Parts and Accessories for your Troy-Bilt tiller - CustomPartsInc.com. , they distinguish between the older two speed and 4 speed that you describe. I got Rev A, it looks like. You guys got Rev B. Therefore, we have to distinguish between the older Horse 2 speed and newer Horse 4 speed.

That's a pretty good partshouse, Mule. They have my belt set and reverse gear.

But.

They don't have a wheel seal.

I have a wheel seal supplier from my best friend Manny Lema who's been doing bearings, belts, and seals for 40 years in Santa Clara, California. I'll post the manufacturer and part number when I get mine, and know that they work with no leaks.