Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #1  

claridon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540HST+
I picked up a 1979 Horse roto tiller (S/N 396581) and am in the process of trying to put it back into good shape. It's got the 6 HP Tecumseh engine, 2 speed trans.
My problem is getting the governor/throttle linkage back to the way it's supposed to be. I've purchased a new rod that connects the govenor to the throttle and a new spring that connects the control cable to the throttle. I've got the rod installed. However, I can't figure out how the spring is supposed to be installed. These parts were badly mangled by the previous owner so I have nothing to go by there. I've looked at the online manuals and they really aren't clear about this area.

Question is this: If you have a Troy Bilt Horse with the Tecumseh engine, would you please take a close up photo of the throttle/spring connection and post it for me?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

-Len

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #2  
I checked all my manuals and that's the problem - no pictures of carb area.

I have an 8 horse tecumseh, old, which I'm sure is not the same as yours.

The governor flat rod out the back of the engine - the other end has 2 round linkage rods - short one goes to the 1st butterfly on the carbureator body; second one goes to a "lever" at the inside top of the assembly - the other end of that "lever" has a spring which attaches to the housing itself. I think that spring gives you the governor "action". A photo is impossible unless I bust the whole thing apart.

There are two butterflies on this assembly - the second one is the choke butterfly in the throat of the carbureator, and I have that wired shut - runs good - there's holes on the butterflies and enough room between that butterfly and the 1st butterfly on the body so that you would have an automatic choke, if I were to put a spring there, but there's 9 combinations of spring holes to try, the **** with it.

You need a guy who KNOWS these Tecumseh carbureators.

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller
Thank you very much for taking the time to try to help.
You're right, your 8 horse sounds like it's set up very differently than my 6 horse.
Plan "B" is to find an old Troy-Bilt locally and check it out as I have a chance. I've also got a small tractor dealer here in town that may have some "old-timer" expertise. Meanwhile I'll go with what I imagine it should be.
Thanks again!
-Len

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #4  
I took a couple of pictures and I'll try to post them on here if that doesn't work then my email address is kellyjol@hotmail.com. I can email them to you and try to help you out.
mjlenzol
mjlenzol
Don't mind the oil mess on my HH60 it leaks where the governer shaft goes into the engine. Does anyone know where I can get parts to fix that?

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #5  
someone is going to have to tell me how to load the pictures. I tried using photobucket but that didn't work.

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #6  
Ok let's try this again.
001.jpg
004.jpg

/ Help On A Troy Bilt Horse Roto Tiller #8  
I'm glad they helped. Does anyone know if there is something I can do about my engine leaking around the governor shaft? I don't want to steal this thread but thought I would ask while we're on the subject.