Troy Built Tiller

/ Troy Built Tiller #1  

Hiram

I came into possession of an old tiller, the engine has been replaced (8hp, downdraft carb, model 195432, transmission body serial No. 217094, Garden Way TH-109). The belts on it slipped when engaged too much for tilling, after removing them I see the part NO. on the belt is 12-10821 and appears to be an automotive belt.
When comparing it to a spare belt I got with the tractor marked Troy built 9245DF, the 9245DF is actually longer than the ones I took off. I,m wondering if the pulley was different on the relplacement engine or are all the pulleys universal on the old horse tillers. Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

/ Troy Built Tiller #2  
Look to see if both pulleys are the same size. Unless that horse is an older tiller it should only run one belt. The second pulley is there for a speed change and you shift the belt to the other pulley and it changes the speed to the transmission.
When I bought my horse it had two belts on different sized pulleys and the two belts were worn to less than 3/8" wide. They had to slip all the time.
The number on the new belt that I have is CP1128 BLTS-1. There are some more numbers 2808 1R1 280.
If I measure it corrrectly it is 1/2" x just under 22".
Mine is a four speed horse: 2 gears and 2 pulleys with one belt. Some of the older horses were 2 speed: 2 gears only with 2 belts on 2 pulleys of the same size.
I hope this helps you figure out the problem.
One more thing, the pulley may be the correct size, but the shaft on the replacement engine may be higher or lower from the frame and that could affect the belt length to some degree.

/ Troy Built Tiller #3  
Is this a question of adjusting the belt or is the belt so shot that it is going to slip anyway? The belt tension on the Troy bilt horse has always been a bit tricky to me. There's a metal foot that the engagement lever rides on that slides up and down and is locked in place to set the tension. If it is too loose, the tiller will pop out of gear. If it is too tight, then you can't get it in gear.

I think TSC carries the replacement belt unless your engine height or the pulley diameters have been changed on yours.