Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question)

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #1  

tjack335

Tractor
Ford 8N
I have a Troy Bilt Horse s/n 109117 with a 7hp Kohler. I'm 99% sure about the model, finding a manual for it with pics that look just like my machine. I went to replace the belts following instructions in this manual which said "simply" remove bolt from reverse disc and remove reverse disc. My problem is that the disc won't simply remove. It doesn't look like a seperate disc at all, looks like it is part of the engine pulleys. Furthermore, there are three small allen head screws running through the disc and into the pulleys. I can't find a manual or part illustrations anywhere showing me the screws. Have I got my model number wrong? wrong manual? wrong belt changing instructions?

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #3  
I had a 7HP Kohler "HORSE" tiller in the 80's. If it is a 4 speed model you should have one belt with a two belt pulley on the engine and the tiller transmission. High speed is the with the belt in the groove closest to the engine low is the rear pulley. I think the part number for the belt is 1128 and to just change the belt it is not necessary to remove the reverse disc.

Steve

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #4  
The 2 speed tiller has two belts, part no. 1128. The 4 speed tiller has a single belt, part no. 9245.
The reverse disc comes off by removing the single bolt in the center of the disc.
On my Horse it is necessary to remove the reverse disc to change the belt.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #5  
My mistake.
Saxman is right; you do not need to remove the reverse disc to get the belt off. It is easier to get the belt off if you do remove it, but it's not required.
-Len :eek:

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #6  
Maybe what is going on is that the posts that the engine goes up and down on are bound up with dirt or you're otherwise not getting the full range of motion that would allow you to change the belt without removing the disk. I've never had to remove the disk to change a belt, either.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question)
Thanks for the advice, but I am still curious about the model. It is a two speed model (fast and slow). I has the two belts and I'm referring to the same manual that 2manyrocks linked. Everything looks like the Horse in that manual except the reverse disc. I'm still curious about the three allen head screws. Anybody seen one with such screws. I'll try to get a photo posted.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #8  
I have an old (S/N 143036; est. 1970's) two-speed model (two belts) that has a reverse disc with the three screws. I have been unable to get the reverse disc separated from the pulley, and I'm afraid of destroying it trying, and then still having part of it rusted fast to the pulley, keeping me from installing a new one.

I'll be doing a little more research on this today, as I'm going to order a reverse disc, and new belts for mine to put on it, since I have it apart already to re-power it with a new engine.

BTW, anyone re-shim the main transmission shaft on these? Mine has about 3/16" axial play.

J.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question) #9  
... I went to replace the belts following instructions in this manual which said "simply" remove bolt from reverse disc and remove reverse disc. My problem is that the disc won't simply remove. ....

"Simply" -- yeh, that's funny. That's easy for them (manual writers) to say. They were working with a new unit, not a 40-year-old one with the parts rusted together.

/ Troy Bilt Horse reverse disc (model question)
jas67,

Did you get a reverse disc? Get the old one off? Figure out a model number?

I'm glad to see someone else has the model with the screws in the reverse disc.