Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!!

/ Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!! #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I have an old (70's) Troy Bilt Horse tiller that I am trying to install a new engine on, but one of the engine mount bars (the two round bars that the engine slides up and down on for clutching the belts and the reverse disc).

I need to get these out to get the engine mount off to change the engine. I have tried penetrant oil and beating on it with a 4lb hammer, but it won't budge.

I was avoiding taking a torch (propane, not ox-ace cutting) to it to heat the part of the trans case that it goes through, with hopes of expanding it. I was avoiding this, as I didn't want to destroy the paint on the case, nor to ignite the penetrant oil that I already put on it.

If anyone here has any ideas, please share them.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

/ Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!! #2  
Per the manual for an early 80's model: step 1: put a solid support under the engine so it won't fall when the second mounting bar is removed. Step 2: Use a 1/2 wrench to loosen the jam nut on the two bolts on either side of the tiller that lock the mounting bars in place. Then unscrew the bolt almost all the way out. Step 3. Using a drift pin or steel bar, tap each mount bar down to remove the bar from the housing being careful not to damage the screw threads in the top of the bars. If ncessary, squirt a little oil on the bars so they'll slide out more easily.

/ Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!!
Per the manual for an early 80's model: step 1: put a solid support under the engine so it won't fall when the second mounting bar is removed. Step 2: Use a 1/2 wrench to loosen the jam nut on the two bolts on either side of the tiller that lock the mounting bars in place. Then unscrew the bolt almost all the way out. Step 3. Using a drift pin or steel bar, tap each mount bar down to remove the bar from the housing being careful not to damage the screw threads in the top of the bars. If ncessary, squirt a little oil on the bars so they'll slide out more easily.

I was following the manual. The one was just a bit rusted in place. I ended up breaking out the heat-wrench (torch) to heat it up. That worked, and I finally got it apart. I did, however, booger up the threads on both bars.

What are these threads used for? There were bolts in both of my bars, but nothing attached to them.

/ Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!! #4  
Theres a bumper guard that goes around the whole motor. Thats what mounts in those pins.

/ Troy Bilt Horse -- engine mount bar removal -- help!! #5  
Next time???? .......... Thread a hex head or better yet, a socket head cap screw into the threads. You'll beat up the bolt (expendable) and not bugger up the threads or "mushroom" the top of the shaft. Once "mushroomed" it won't pass through the bore. My 2c worth.