Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity

/ Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
How much oil does the transmission of the original (non-PTO model) Horse hold?

I'm going to change the oil in mine, and want to know how much to buy. The manual just says to fill it until it comes out the hole that is in the side above the axle.

Thanks,
Jay

/ Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity #2  
You may need to be careful about the fluid that you are going to use in this older transmission. The newer GL4 and GL5 fluids contains things that may damage your transmission. I understand that some of the gears and bearings in the trany are bronze and there are some brass parts as well that will be attacked by the modern fluids.
I have done some research and find that most synthetic fluids are fine but that nearly all of the GL5 are not good to use in the old Troybilt units.

/ Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity #3  
This is from the owner's manual for my 1976 two speed Horse.

"Before using the tiller, the tiller transmission case must be filled with 6 1/2 pints of SAE 90 or SAE 140 weight gear oil."

"DON'T OVERFILL. Stop when the oil flows out-even if you haven't added 6 1/2 pints yet."

/ Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity #4  
I have read from a Troy-Bilt factory tech that the new ones come with 75-140W synthetic GL5 oil in them. He states that the GL5 rating doesn't effect the bronze gears in the tranny because of the low RPMs and low temps inside.

/ Troy Bilt Horse: transmission oil capacity #5  
I was told to always use 60 oz of GL4 or 80 Oz in a pto model.