Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #1  

waystd

Tractor
'99 kubota L3010 w/La481 fel
I am looking into buying small tiller. Mantis vs. Stihl yardboss. 2 or 4 cycle does not matter. Looking for the better machine.Price does not matter cuz
they are pretty close. Any thoughts on these two machines for quality.
Thank you.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #2  
I have the Mantis 2 stroke tiller with a couple attachments. It always starts, always runs good, I wear ear plugs usually. I have no complaints about mine. I did get the kickstand and really like it. I also purchased these little plastic anti-wrap "donuts" (for the two drive axles/shafts) and they work good also.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #3  
I also have a Mantis 2 stroke. I have not had a chance to use it a ton but seems to work great so far. My research found people liked the Mantis better than any of the others, people said it was more heavy duty.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #4  
Never used the Stihl (but love Stihl tools) but have a Mantis and used it quite a bit. It works great for small areas, and I have never had a problem with it. Too bad you can't try one out before buying. The Mantis is well designed for digging and mixing beds. I works in a push/pull motion, and I often use the back "blade" to pull dirt into a pile or move it around.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss
Thanks for the responses. As a matter of fact HCJTractor, i called my local
rental place and found they do rent out the mantis. Don't know if they have the 2 or 4 stroke but at least they rent them. It will give me an opportunity
to try one, which will be nice before i buy. Thanks again.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #6  
Years ago I had a couple of mantis tillers till it died. They were good machines, worked fine till they went bad for different reasons.
We sell the stihls and I have used them a bit and they are a nice machine.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #7  
To contrast, I am not that fond of the Mantis. Maybe it's just me, but mine was always a pain to get started and keep running. :confused:

Gave mine to my brother and bought a Honda tiller at Home Depot (I think). Wow!! Now THAT's a performer!! It sat for almost three years till I decided to fire it up again this spring. Fearing the worst, since it had gas in the tank from who knows when, I went through the startup procedure, and voila`, second pull - away it went. :) Excellent unit.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #8  
I have the 2 stroke Mantis with kick stand, dethatcher, aerator, and edger, besides the tilling blades. I tried the edger, but decided I'd rather just use my string trimmer for edging. I've never even used it as a tiller.:D I bought it primarily for the dethatcher and I use that and the aerator. I would NOT want one without the kickstand. The only problem I've had with it is (1) the fuel filter in the tank can get clogged or hardened and not allow fuel flow, and (2) the carburetor can get out of adjustment. Since I've learned how to quickly correct those 2 things, no other "malfunction". The placement of the on/off switch is such that I've accidentally bumped it and killed the engine a few times.

So I like the Mantis. I would expect the Stihl to be good also, but I've only seen them at the dealer; never used one, never seen one used.

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #9  
I am not that fond of the Mantis. Maybe it's just me, but mine was always a pain to get started and keep running.

When mine wouldn't start, it was frustrating for awhile, but then I found the problem to be the fuel filter. I have a new filter, but have never used it. I just give the original one a quick shot of compressed air in the reverse direction and it's ready to go again. And when it wouldn't keep running, I finally learned how to adjust the carburetor.:D

/ Mantis tiller vs Stihl yard boss #10  
I have a Mantis 2 stroke.
Always starts and runs good, never had a problem.