Rear tine garden tiller

/ Rear tine garden tiller #11  
Well I bought my Troybilt back in 1980 and have replaced the motor once and just purchased a new motor to put on it this spring. Back then I paid over $1,800 for the tiller and drove out to Troy, New York to pick it up.

I have gone through a number of sets of tines, drive belt and reverse blocks, but never once have I had a bad seal. I change the fluids (transmission fluids) every year. Just cheap insurance.

Mine is the first year they introduced the PTO model and it is as good as it was the day I put it into service. It sort-of retired now, just use it to cultivate around certain areas, but would never consider letting it go.

Most of the parts are still available, although now you really have to search for them. I would recommend seeking out a used horse model to anyone wanting a tiller. I would never recommend the new Troybilt models to anyone.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #12  
I didn't know the Craftsman had gone to a Chinese made engine. In 1995, I bought the biggest Craftsman they had at the time (17"), counterrotating, forward and reverse gears, and it was a dandy, but I didn't have it long enough to know how well they hold up. When I got the tiller for the tractor, I sold the Craftsman to a neighbor.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #13  
I was just about to ask about rear tine tillers,when i found this thread.Iwant new[LIFE LONG TIME GARDENER HERE] ,i want under a grand .I want a BRIGGS ,KOHLER,or honda -not a chinese engine like i saw on the new craftsmans yesterday.I heard counter rotating tines are nice.Im just starting my research.Does any one know about the one they sell at TSC?We have a new TSC opening in town MARCH 27:thumbsup:mabey throw them a bone:)Ithink its a CUB CADET?
ALAN

Get one for your tractor, why would you want to walk????

/ Rear tine garden tiller #14  
Get one for your tractor, why would you want to walk????

Garden has a deer fence all around and i like to til between the rows for weed control and to prevent hardening of the soil so it drains and doesnt run off.Ihave a front tine now,Each fall i add compost with the tractor and with this tiller its nearly impossible to loosen up the soil due to compaction-thus is why id like a counter rotating tine tiller.Ihave to loosen up the soil now with the back hoe:D
ALAN

/ Rear tine garden tiller #15  
I didn't know the Craftsman had gone to a Chinese made engine. In 1995, I bought the biggest Craftsman they had at the time (17"), counterrotating, forward and reverse gears, and it was a dandy, but I didn't have it long enough to know how well they hold up. When I got the tiller for the tractor, I sold the Craftsman to a neighbor.

Yes ,the salesman said he had a couple of last years models with the briggs on it,but he was mistaken.They all got the china motors now from what im told.I also went on line on TSC alot of china motors on them,i think the troybuilt was a briggs ,and that cub cadet had a honda.Im favoriting that one right now ,but still lookin.
Iknow where there is a nice old horse that an older friend has.Hes in an old folks home,but i hate to ask him to sell.He was an gardener all his life[as well as a large greenhouse nursery owner],he taught me all i know.Idont want to hurt his spirits,making him think hes never gonna return home and use it again.Ithink hope is what keeps him going.
ALAN

/ Rear tine garden tiller #16  
I think Troy Bilt and Cub Cadet are now owned by the same parent company, MTD. I have a smaller Troy Bilt I bought three or four years ago to till between rows and have broken 2 tines on it with not that much use. I already mentioned that I have a Horse I bought in 1982 and have never broken a tine on it. The more recent Troy Bilt seemed like it was more affordable than the one I bought in 82, but in my personal opinion, the older one is better made. I suspect every part on the 1982 version was USA made, and I'm still running the original Kohler.

Your friend might want to see his machine go to someone he knows will take care of it. Take him some fresh vegetables if they'll let you do that for him. For that matter, take him some fresh vegetables whether he sells you his machine or not.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #17  
I think Troy Bilt and Cub Cadet are now owned by the same parent company, MTD. I have a smaller Troy Bilt I bought three or four years ago to till between rows and have broken 2 tines on it with not that much use. I already mentioned that I have a Horse I bought in 1982 and have never broken a tine on it. The more recent Troy Bilt seemed like it was more affordable than the one I bought in 82, but in my personal opinion, the older one is better made. I suspect every part on the 1982 version was USA made, and I'm still running the original Kohler.

Your friend might want to see his machine go to someone he knows will take care of it. Take him some fresh vegetables if they'll let you do that for him. For that matter, take him some fresh vegetables whether he sells you his machine or not.

Yes most definately,ive promised him some freshly dug parsnips for next visit next weekend.his and my favorite :licking: Ijust cant ask for the tiller though,i incourage him to not give up hope and keep trying to get his feet under him.[82 with broken hip,been in bed 3 months now]
When i visit my friend our discussions are of gardens ,wood cutting etc,he likes to hear all my sawmill life tales and i love to hear of how they farmed and worked in the woods in the olden days. now im rambling ,sorry back to tillers:)
ALAN

/ Rear tine garden tiller #18  
When i visit my friend our discussions are of gardens ,wood cutting etc,he likes to hear all my sawmill life tales and i love to hear of how they farmed and worked in the woods in the olden days. now im rambling ,sorry back to tillers:)
ALAN

Alan, what you are giving your friend is priceless. A rototiller isn't much to worry about at the final stage of a life.

BTW: The "how they worked the woods" tales might make you wonder how any of them survived .

/ Rear tine garden tiller #19  
My FIL bought the biggest Troy Bilt with their largest engine three or so years before he passed. He was trying to turn it and somehow got knocked down and hurt his back. It sort of sat and didn't get used and then my MIL sold it back to the dealer after he passed. I don't think he used it enough to even break the engine in. I already had one and didn't need his, and none of his family wanted it. They haven't raised a garden since he passed.

Another thread got me thinking that it would be a great combination to find a Horse in good condition that needs a replacement engine, and then put a Honda on it. That would just be a terrific combination.

EdIt update: Suggested this in the other thread and WayneB already tried the honda and found the low oil shutdown caused problems.

Last edited:
   / Rear tine garden tiller #20  

I've got one of those. 5 HP B&S engine ( that's when thay rated them in HP.). Just replaced the tines on it today. Sears wanted $15.00 each for the tines. This tiller has 12 tines. Located them on e-bay for $69.95 a set !! 12 tines