Rear tine garden tiller

/ Rear tine garden tiller #1  

dannylink

Tractor
John Deere 4720 / 1953 Farmal Super A
I am in the process of investigating rear tine garden tillers and I would like some opinions on the best kind to but. I have a garden of approximately 40X100. Any advice would be approciated.

/ Rear tine garden tiller
Its not for a tractor. I have done some research on Troy Built and Huskee but am not sure which would be the best.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #4  
Honda FRC800 rear tine tiller - one of if not the best out there. Dependable Honda GX engine, will eat through anything! :thumbsup:

/ Rear tine garden tiller #5  
How long do you intend to keep it and what's your budget? It's not a brand specific comment, but a wide tiller is nice at the beginning of the season, but gets difficult to use between the rows once the plants grow. So I would suggest something between a large tiller and a small one--probably 5 hp is enough engine. Also, look for one with a power reverse.

/ Rear tine garden tiller
Plan on keeping it a long time. I do not cultivate between the rows but instead mulch with grass clippings and hoe around plants. Do not want to spend much over $700.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #8  
Picked up a mid 80's Troybilt Horse a couple of weeks ago for $300. 8 HP B&S that cranks right up. Changed the fluids, tightened up and aligned a lot of deferred maintenance, new tines, and a fresh battery. Total adds up to maybe $450; but I sold my front tine MD for $150 on Craig's List so that took care of some of the cost.

This thing is soooooooo MUCH better than my very much used front tine. NO jumping around and beating me to death as I work soil that has already been worked. NO PUSHING and PULLING.........NEW soil/garden is just the same as already worked only I make shallow passes..........TREE ROOTS.......boom, right through.......Anyway this ol guy is happy......Dennis

/ Rear tine garden tiller #9  
Be selective. I saw a nice looking electric start Troy bilt horse with a bumper on CL here for $700 and then there's a very used looking one for $500 and a even more worn looking one for $300. Condition is everthing in these machines. My 1982 ish Troy Bilt Horse is still going strong. I also have a smaller Troy Bilt that I bought a couple of years ago, and in my personal opinion, it is not of the same quality of the older Troy Bilt line. The horse models can be challenging to use in between plants when things start growing if you don't leave enough space between rows.

There was a thread here maybe a year ago on a question like yours. I think the OP in that thread got a Husquavarna tiller.

People buy tillers new and then decide not to garden. That's where your best buy is likely to be.

/ Rear tine garden tiller #10  
I was just about to ask about rear tine tillers,when i found this thread.Iwant new[LIFE LONG TIME GARDENER HERE] ,i want under a grand .I want a BRIGGS ,KOHLER,or honda -not a chinese engine like i saw on the new craftsmans yesterday.I heard counter rotating tines are nice.Im just starting my research.Does any one know about the one they sell at TSC?We have a new TSC opening in town MARCH 27:thumbsup:mabey throw them a bone:)Ithink its a CUB CADET?
ALAN