Old troy built tiller questions

/ Old troy built tiller questions #1  

ssehon

Hey I'm new here and to owning a tiller. Not new to owning old stuff cuz that's all I can afford. Got an older troy built horse for $175 that supposedly runs. Previous owner I guess let it sit for a long time and the gas tank rusted out. Has a 5 horse Briggs on it model # for it is #132232. Serial # for tiller is
# 141227. Can someone please tell me a time frame of manufacture on either?

Also any links for parts would be very appreciated. Have been to the troy built site and they want a model# for it and there isn't one on it that I can see.

Thanks

ssehon

/ Old troy built tiller questions #2  
ssehon your sn indicates a 1975 model. I suspect that you have a horse model. However I would suggest that you join the troybilttillers club on yahoo. If you post a pic it would help indentify your tiller. Welcome aboard. Ben

/ Old troy built tiller questions #4  
The 5 HP Briggs tells me it either is a smaller model than a Horse, or it's been repowered. Any pics?

/ Old troy built tiller questions
Here's some pics.
DSC05585.jpg

DSC05584.jpg

DSC05587.jpg

DSC05588.jpg

These are the only #'s that aren't part #'s or serial. Are they model #'s for the tiller?
DSC05586.jpg

DSC05590.jpg

This is the info off of the briggs engine. Sucks having missing #'s
Appreciate any info I can get. Need a gas tank in a bad way and need info to find right part.

Thanks

/ Old troy built tiller questions #6  
On older Troy Bilt Horse models, the tiller SN is on the left part of the engine mount as shown with the white tape in this photo. On newer models, the tiller SN is on a tab on the top right side of the transmission housing.

I think those numbers cast into the side of the cast housing are part numbers.

You have the Briggs engine model number 132232. The type gives further information, but that model number should be a good starting place to find more information at your Briggs dealer. I think you have an engine that someone swapped off another machine. I don't think it came with your tiller.

I bought a Briggs gas tank a couple of years ago and it wasn't cheap.

Attachments

• tiller sn location.jpg
    tiller sn location.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1,203
The serial # I posted came off of a tab on the right side of the tranny housing. Is this engine big enough to handle the task asked of it? Hope so because it's gonna have to this year unless I stumble across a deal.

/ Old troy built tiller questions #8  
I think they used to sell these with a 6 hp Techsemseh (never could spell it correctly). As long as you take reallistic bites using your depth control, I think 5 HP will work. There are a lot of tillers with 5 hp engines out there.

Are the tines and gear box still tight?

Haven't had it running yet so I don't know. Gas tank was off of it when I got it. Rusted badly on the inside and a pin hole in the side. Any ideas how to get the rust out of the inside of the tank?

/ Old troy built tiller questions #10  
Tilt it up and shake on the tine assembly.

I think there have been some other threads on gas tank cleaning that may have better ideas, but I suppose you can put some gravel rocks in there and shake it just enough to knock the rust loose. The local auto parts place will have some expoxy to patch the pinhole.